New To Breeding

Ambertiegan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am planning slowly to become a Maine coon breeder and have a cattery programme of my own , I have spent over a year learning about the breed and having Maine coons as my pets already now I am at the stage of buying my male sire who will be imported and has a wcf pedigree and breeding rights , I’ve been advised the next step would be to find a mentor so I’m looking for some advice on how to find a mentor of this specific breed . I have no plans to rush into breeding as my male will be kitten age for another year and I plan to import further queens in future once I’m fully educated , just looking for the best advice on the steps to take , also I’m aware there must be a series of tests taken out on my breeding cats so would this be worth doing when I get my male to the uk ?

Any further advice would be useful thanks

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, this appears to be a duplicate of your other thread in which several of us offered advice on looking for breeding mentors. Do you have specific additional questions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ambertiegan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Yes I explained my case again so it made sense and mentioned if anyone has advice on how to find breeding mentors of this type , is it as easy as contacting a breeder and asking them to mentor ?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can contact breeders and tell them what you have told us, that you are working on starting a breeding program and you are looking for mentors to advise you.

Joining a club can be a good way of connecting with local breeders in your area. You can look at the list of GCCF clubs and see if there is a local club you can join. Here is the list of GCCF clubs from their web site:
https://www.gccfcats.org/Portals/0/pdf/Club listing for website.pdf?ver=2018-03-08-121531-933
There are also a couple of GCCF Maine Coon breed clubs listed, here are their web sites:
Maine Coon Breed Society
Maine Coon Cat Club
The Maine Coon Cat Club has a special show in September listed on their web site. If I were you, I would definitely plan to attend that one!

You can also email or call the GCCF and see if they have a standard process of connecting new breeders with mentors or advisers, or a special program to help new breeders get started. Find GCCF contact information here: Contact GCCF

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, here is the GCCF Maine Coon breeding policy. You will want to read this carefully as I think it will answer many of your questions, and also addresses health issues and recommended health testing:
http://www.maine-coon-cat-club.com/breed/policy/MaineCoon.BP.pdf

Here's what the breeding policy says about mentoring and getting started:

"All new Maine Coon breeders should start under the guidance of a mentor, an experienced breeder who has already bred a number of Maine Coon litters. This is especially important for novice breeders with little or no prior experience of cat breeding, but support is, of course, also available to breeders who may have experience of other breeds but are new to the Maine Coon breed. If a new breeder does not have a mentoring relationship with the breeder of their cat, a mentor can be identified by contacting the Secretary of either the Maine Coon Cat Club (link) or the Maine Coon Breed Society (link)
All breeders are strongly recommended to become a member of one of the affiliated breed clubs and to participate in ongoing education and development about cat breeding through participation in appropriate discussion forums, seminars and cat club meetings."​

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re mentors.

1. A mentor good at the breed in question is necessary. Especielly if you use "free swords" studs to your females (as is common in Sweden). And in some degree, if its your stud whom is this "free sword". (As our resident is). Among other reasons, to know which stud is useful for your breeding... And whom isnt. Also, an experienced breeder (read mentor) isnt afraid of lesser known studs, perhaps of not real show quality - but healthy, of good type and with a good lineage. While a less experienced breeder cant take any risk, and must take the best possible she can get her hands on.... This is not really a question of stud prices, but its good to use as many individuals in the breeding.... Matador breeding is seldom good. Nor creating multiples of the same genetical individual. (ie mating the same female with the same stud for many litters).

2. You will also need a mentor used with health care, pregnancies, delivery, small kittens... It may be the same mentor, but its not at all necessary.
Almost ANY experienced breeder can do it. Or an experienced rescuer...
In some degree many a experienced cat owners, including moggies.
Here its an advantage if its someone living nearby you. Even if Skype etc may often help out nowadays.

Contact with a good cat forum, as ours, is also useful. :)

3. Be sure you have contact with a good vet. Preferably someone used to work with pedigree cats. This vet shall also be used with obstetrics and care of small kittens. (of course, a vet cooperating with many breeders is). You will cooperate lotsa with this vet.
You will of course have your cats on insurance. But observe re possible cesarean, the insurance company often demands its the vet whom recommends it... Its not enough your gut feeling or our advices from this forum....
So even with a good insurance you may sometimes get high vet costs - if your gut feeling tells you cesarean is necessary now, but the vet thinks you can wait a couple of days more... (yes, I have met such examples).

4. A good way to get used and experienced to high pregs and small kitten care is to cooperate with a shelter and take in some high pregs BEFORE you start your breeding...
You get your practice, and the poor cats get the necessary help... Win-win.

There IS some disadvantage: you must be completely sure there doesnt come any contagion into your home... That is why very few active breeders works actively with rescue, although many breeders do help homeless cats and helps rescuers in other ways. With advices, gears, food, money... And not seldom adopting a rescued moggie as companion cat (after due vet checks and quarantine!).

IF you do this traing programme, is a total quarantine necessary. And total clean up afterwards including total washing of everything including walls with antibacterial and antiv-virus agent.

"There shall not be even a shadow of doubt on Ceasars wife´s virtue", no?
:)

Last edited:

Ambertiegan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Thankyou that’s really useful I have found the list of breeders and sent about some emails so hopefully will find a mentor ! I will look into the shows in my area and maybe go to them to meet some breeders , Thankyou for the advice

Ambertiegan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi , Thankyou for your information that is helpful and good to know ! As I am not an experienced breeder I have managed to find a male who is approved for breeding by his breeder who is registered so I hope that is a box ticked , I have contacted some registered breeders today and I will take your advice in finding someone who has good experience with small kittens and pregnancy /complications , I will see if I can voluntary work with rescue pregnancy before I start my programme maybe before my male arrives to avoid an contamination , Thankyou