New Stray in Alleyway

karleigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! Today while I was feeding my alleycat, another alleycat came into my yard with full intention of eating her food! The two butt heads often because he’s an unneutered male and she is a spayed female. I have only been feeding my alleycat (the female) as of late, but sometimes this little guy comes around. He’s currently in my yard, laying around, and I can’t get him out. I’ve tried shooing him, telling him to get out, everything! But it won’t work! And when I first saw him, I could tell he was an abandoned kitty from the way he was so friendly and not afraid of humans at all. He even allowed me to pet him. I don’t know what to do and am sad that the cat I feed feels uncomfortable and scared staying in the yard. What do I do? Please help!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You mentioned in your previous posts about a pregnant mother cat as I recall. It sounds as if you have a number of cats who are starting to come around and I agree with your description of this new boy as being an abandoned pet if he is that friendly.

Can you find/contact a group in your area who can give you advice on doing TNR or help you to do that? I am concerned that you are about to have a lot of cats around if someone does not try to control their population by getting them fixed. A hungry cat is going to come to try to get food and this boy is unneutered which means that his pecking order in the cat world is over that of your TNRed female. I currently feed a TNRed female at some apartments near my house and an unneutered male is now waiting for the food....same as what you are experiencing.

You can put out a decoy bowl for him which means that he may be able to eat, even if the food is very inexpensive, and that will allow both cats to eat and will let your girl know that she still has food. However, he will continue to return for food.

I am not saying that you have to want to adopt all these cats by any stretch of the imagination but I think that you are poised to have a cat problem which is going to end up on your property or nearby. If you have the Nextdoor app you can post there and ask for help or advice from locals who might have more experience. It is also possible that this boy has a home and you might ask that as well. An unneutered tom cat is going to roam around a lot.

Another option is to try to feed your girl someplace else where he is unaware of the food, get her to eat and then remove the dish.