New sick kitten+angry cat

Tabby123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently found a thin stray kitten and decided to bring it home. It's a male tabby and seemed to be someone's pet because it was very friendly. However, nobody claimed it. In the first few days, the kitten was energetic and happy, but then it suddenly became very ill and stopped eating and playing. After a few days, it slowly started to recover, but it's still not back to its normal self. Our other cats don't seem to like the new addition, especially our 1-year-old male ginger cat, who keeps hissing and pouncing on him. While I do love cats, I don't have too much experience with them, so any advice would be appreciated. I can provide more information if needed, but I won't be sharing any photos for personal reasons.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you found a kitten outside that is sick you should not let him anywhere near your other cats. Stray kittens pick up lots of diseases, many of which are highly contagious and potentially fatal. What's more, he could have fleas, worms, ringworm or other conditions that could be picked up by other animals and even by you.

Keep the kitten in a room away from the other cats and make sure you wash your hands carefully after handling him.

He needs to be seen by a vet, even if he does appear to be recovering from whatever was wrong with him. Don't attempt to reintroduce him to your other cats until he's got a clean bill of health and has been vaccinated. It's just too risky to expose your other cats to parasites or diseases.

Are all of your other cats vaccinated and spayed or neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabby123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response.
He has been with us for about a week now, if he had any "problems" could they have spread to my other cats by now? And is it worth getting a vet to see them as well just too be safe? Should I be concerned as he has used the other cats' things- eg beds, toys, cat towers?

Would it be best to give him to a shelter or something? I would 100% be willing to help him but would it be better if I didn't have him for now or do I keep him?

All of my other cats are up to date with vaccinations, and vet checks, and have all been spayed/neutered.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Get him to a vet.. then you'll know if you need to have the others checked. Meanwhile do as Norachan Norachan suggested.
If he gets the all-clear, then do all the things the vet says are correct for his age. If he has something that has spread (and it very likely will have by now) then you'll need to have the others checked, and deal with their things. But first, to the vet asap.

If I were you, and you have the space and financial ability to keep him, that's what I'd do. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Things like fleas and ringworm are super contagious, even allowing the kitten to sleep on your other cat's beds could lead to them being infected too.

Other diseases have an incubation period, which means that they may have already been passed on to other cats, but you're not seeing any signs of them yet.

I suggest you take the new kitten to a vet as soon as possible and get him checked out. If he tests positive for any diseases or parasites you'll know what to look out for with your other pets.

Are you able to care for another cat? If you have the space and funds for a new kitten then keep him. Make sure he's healthy and then redo the introductions so everyone gets along well together.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as your other cats are vaccinated and healthy they should be fairly OK. If he had distemper, your cats would be protected, Leukemia is iffy. I would have him tested like said above so you know for sure what you are dealing with. Please don't freak out until you know. it could be just a viral kitty cold, which is VERY common. MOST diseases are spread through deep bites and mating so your cats should be OK. My cats have leukemia and they are still alive 5 years later.
VERY common too for older cats, especially a one year old to pounce on and 'correct' kittens. if the kitten is sick or tiny, I would separate them to keep him safe, accidents happen, and introduce them often with supervision. adult cats are 'programmed' not to hurt kittens, but without a mama cat to intervene if the play gets too rough it could cause injuries. I wish you all the luck, chances are the kitten just has a cold, but you need to know.

Tabby123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After calling the vets they said I could take him in at lunch today.
They said similar things to your responses- keep him isolated, have personal hygiene, and don't let him touch things my cats will touch. I also have a booked appointment for my other cats on the 31st.

Does anyone have any tricks to keep him entertained and happy? He is currently in our now kitten-proof guest room, but he won't stop meowing. When I see him he is fine but when he is alone he won't stop. Any ideas?

I think for now I will keep him. He seems to like it here, at the moment, and I don't want to cause any extra stress. I do have the money, space, and time so we will see what happens...

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats never do ok with fast introductions, you should always do slow introductions to any new cats. If you are going to keep him be sure to go extra slow. Check out Jackson Galaxys videos on intros and Pam johnson bennet as well :)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I see him he is fine but when he is alone he won't stop. Any ideas?
I know it's heart breaking. You could try a heart beat toy. Can you sleep in the guest room? Cat music/tv. Bird feeder outside the window.

Once everybody has a clean bill of health you can start the intro process. The vanilla extract trick is not a cure all but does remove the "I smell a stranger" aspect. They will still see and hear a stranger. With one application my whole house smelled of vanilla for 2 weeks, so only once was enough. Here's a good guide:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite

Tabby123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my new kitten to the vet today and the results were not as bad as I feared, but not great either. The vet said he has a lot of roundworms, which explains why he seems so thin. He said that whenever he walks, he can tell that there is a lot. They recommended getting him neutered as soon as possible and getting him vaccinated. di and bob, you were right, he said he has a minor cold, but nothing to worry about. They estimated that he is around 8-10 weeks old and had been abandoned or ran away about a week before I found him. The vet also advised me to keep him isolated from my other cats to prevent sickness from spreading, which I was already doing. I'm planning to try the vanilla trick and use the introduction methods recommended by Jackson and Pam when I introduce him to my other cats. When would I start to do that? Hellenww, is it safe to sleep in the same room as the kitten, he has been treated but is there no way anything could spread to me? and I'm curious about what a heartbeat toy is. Thanks, everyone for helping, I hope the next check-up goes well!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Roundworms are easy to deal with. Did the vet treat him for those? Colds can be passed on to other cats the same way human colds spread to other people. If your cats have already been in the same room as him they've already been exposed, so don't worry about that now.

Has he had his first round of vaccines? Generally they get their first jabs when they are at 600 grams, a follow up a few weeks later and can be neutered when they are over 1 kilo. I suggest you wait until he's over his cold and has had his vaccines before you redo the introductions.

A heartbeat toy is a soft toy that has a device inside that ticks, like a real heartbeat.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise