New shy cat joined family need advice.

Vinny3244

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I recently adopted a 4 year old male cat. Deo was found abandoned in a wooded area. He was already neutered and after vet appointment they said he was domesticated not feral. We know we need to be patient with him and need some tips on helping him to use litter box. He allows us to give chin scratches and he will eat treats out of our hands but we still keep some distance. The problem is he will not use cat box. We are using cat attract litter and box is not near his food but close by. He does not have eating or drinking issues. He is having bowl movements and urinating but on a blanket and once in a cat bed he would not use. We are using a calming plug in to try and help. Any advice would be great.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking him. Why kind of litter are you using and is it scented or unscented? Cats can be very particular about which litter they will use and some hate scented, so sometimes you need to try a few to see if that makes a difference. And if he has been outdoors for a long time, he may prefer sand so that is worth giving a try. If it doesn’t use the box after trying those alternatives I would start trying to retrain him by confining him to a single room and lining his litterbox with a puppy pad. If he still goes on the floor layout a few more pads so he can at least get in the habit of using the pad after which you move it to the box and then start gradually adding litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vinny3244

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ty Susan. We were just talking about getting him some unscented sand litter. Thank you for reaffirming that for us. We have lined the area with puppy pads already. I feel bad for him because we can't put blanket or bed in there because he uses it as a bathroom. Hoping the sand works.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Has this boy been in for a vet check yet? He is relatively young but even young cats can have medical issues. You do want to get him in if he wasnt checked out before his adoption.
One of mine was a few month old stray and it did take her a while to figure out the purpose of a litterbox. If he poops outside of the box you can move it to the litterbox to help him figure out what the box is for.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding to the excellent suggestions from susanm9006 susanm9006 ...of using sand, puppy pads, and moving cut out pieces of the peed or pooped on puppy pads ...to a litterbox...so Deo comes to associate his own urine smell within the litter box,...

Would you also be able to try some outdoor soil, something soft, and maybe with some outdoor leaves in it...just to see if the 'outdoor scents' would attract him to the litterbox?
I'd go with the 'play sand', first, though...since it is less messy.

When Deo does use the puppy pads...then transfer some of his 'poop'...to the litter box...and partially bury it...in front of him...to show him how it's done. (He may never have seen a litter box in his life...so would not be sure how to use one.)
Some cats like to pee in one box...and poop in another box...so you may have to place 2 boxes out for him to try.

Also, depending on how large Deo is...you may not necessarily need to use an actual litterbox...but rather one of those 'clear underbed storage boxes'...or 'clear tote boxes'. They are much more roomier for some cats...with all types of side heights and lengths/widths.

Vinny3244

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will try the sand and if that doesn't work I'll try the earthy smells. Ty for the advice about burying his poo I wouldn't of even thought of that...

Vinny3244

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again! We decided to go with a soil/sand mixture for Deo and a lower cat box. After day one he is already using it. He seems a little less irritable now also. I guess I would be unhappy if I didn't have a place to go to the bathroom.