New sectional couch. what about the cat?

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello My kitty is 12 years old. we tell her all the time, she thinks the couch is a scratching post, she has a couple she uses also..here is the thing we have a new furniture coming this week.. and I will be mad if she starts scraching this one.. any suggestions?oh she is home alone all day, and has the run of the house, and I am keeping her claws cut more often now.. I think we are going to have to cover it up when we are not home during the day.. it is huge too. big sectional.. thanks for any input..

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One thing to do is keep her claws trimmed. If she can't hook them in, she can't cause as much damage. I think you are correct that you will  have to cover them up during the day. Use the plastic kind of covers. Cloth or microfiber just will not stand up to a cat.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Have you got plenty other areas Kitty can scratch away on?  Even if you do and Kitty doesn't bother with them, if you're getting this new furniture try putting 'something' in for Kitty to dig in to as a replacement for the old sofa. Keep the new stuff you want to protect under cover till the replacement scratch object is (hopefully) accepted. I agree, good strong plastic covers, something Kitty can't get underneath as well as not dig through - I had a monster that used to sneak under whatever throw I used and had a great old time undercover!!!  Also, it is expensive but Feliway might be worth it in the long run?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that covering may be your safest bet; with the trimming.  I've also heard people report that putting a scratching post in front of the spot they are scratching at has helped.  I believe one person was trying to get them to use the scratching posts at all and that is what worked.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks   does this feliway   keep the cat away from the couch, or just not clawing it.. she likes to sleep on it, she hangs with me in the family room. I do not want her to stay out of the room. couch is coming tomorrow.. I have a lot of cleaning to do after work tonight. yikes..