New Rescued 9 Month Old Cat

catman1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone and sorry if this had been asked before or a repeat. I just adopted a new 9 month old kitty from a shelter. He was taken out of a kill shelter and was in a rescue for 7 months. They said he is shy and will hiss but will never bite and hasn't bitten sense i brought him home. I have him confined to my room right now with food, water and a litter box. Any time i go to pet him he hisses but still will let me pet him (kind of) and if i grab him and hold him he will sit on my lap and let me pet him just for a little then run back to his igloo. I want to make the transition as nice and calmly as possible and was looking for any tips or tricks. I have had him for a day and he hasnt ate or used a litter box. Does feliway really work? Thanks!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Congrats on becoming a new cat "parent". :bouquet:

Poor little guy sounds like he's had a pretty sad and boring life. That hopefully will change now that he's with you. :redheartpump:

Right now, the most important thing would be getting him to eat. Then you can work on getting him comfortable with you, playing, and generally being a mischievous kitten. :lovecat:

So give him several options of food. Canned. Dry. Even treats. Just to get him eating. You can even try people food like deli turkey, tuna, etc. Just make sure there's no spices in the people food. Do you know what he was eating at the shelter?

About Feliway. Some people find it helpful. Others find it does nothing. So it's hard to have a definite answer. I do know my vet has them running in the examination rooms, so they must believe they make a difference.

TCS has several (mostly short) articles that you might find helpful. Here are the links:

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat - Part 2
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

Plus an older TCS thread with various responses to the question:
What Was Your Cat's Behavior Like In The First Day?

Good luck with him. Keep us updated on his progress.

And do post a pic of him, if/when you can. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to try the feliway and give him plenty of food options when i get home and give an update on how it goes. Heres a pic of him
I wouldn't grab him or force any contact. Start with reading/talking softly to him, or even singing. Let him sniff you, but don't initiate petting if he's still hissing. He'll come around, but on his own time.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you want to add a photo, you have to click either "thumbnail" or "full image" after uploading for it to be attached to your post.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find sitting in the same room, talking in a gentle voice, reading a book etc helps them get comfortable around humans.

Try not to make much eye contact as they may see that as aggressive.

When he gets a bit more comfortable try wand toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. He has warmed up a little bit and now lets me pet him and he will start to purr loudly and stretch out. Still doesn't so much like to be picked up at all and still hides. I have to reach and pet him while he sits in his igloo.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we first got Juniper, she found a hiding spot in the closet behind an old a/c that we had stashed there. She would accept pets, but I had to crawl into the closet to pet her!

I was able to tempt her out occasionally with a cat dancer toy and a laser pointer, so you can work up to playtime as an incentive.

It sounds like you're doing fine! Patience is difficult when you have such a cutie on your hands, but shy cats like to move at their own pace, and you'll see progress in leaps and bounds when you least expect it.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't grab him or force any contact. Start with reading/talking softly to him, or even singing. Let him sniff you, but don't initiate petting if he's still hissing. He'll come around, but on his own time.
Like war&wisdom war&wisdom said: For the first few days, just be around him, sit still and baby-talk to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he hops up on your bed one night on his own. Most kittens are very food motivated, so tempt him with treats - maybe a bit of wet cat food or tuna on the end of your finger.

Some cats never get used to being picked up. Let him get comfortable with you and then try just picking him up a couple of inches and putting him down and progress from there. I have one cat I can carry around the house perched on my arm, another that I can pick up but not carry and a third where I can hardly get my hand under him to pick him up.