New Rescue Health Concerns

Sfgoldenberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello!
I just adopted a shelter cat recently. She is amazing but currently very congested, coughing a bit, wheezing a bit, and lothargic. I was able to get a vet apt for Thursday.. is that ok? Or do I need to take her sooner?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I would take her in tomorrow, if at all possible. The fact that she's lethargic is not a good sign - cats are remarkably stoic and often remain frisky even while feeling crummy. It is not unusual for a cat adopted from a shelter to come home with a respiratory ailment but I'm concerned by what you say about the lethargy and serious congestion. Most of the respiratory infections coming from shelters are viral in nature but secondary bacterial infections can develop and your vet needs to check that out as soon as you can get her in.

In the meantime, this article has a lot of good information and is well worth the read.

ttps://thecatsite.com/ams/identifying-common-ailments-in-cats-adopted-from-animal-shelters-and-rescue-groups.29716/

Bless you for adopting a shelter kitty!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably picked up something viral from the shelter, poor baby. I personally would keep your appointment for now, but if you notice her struggling to breathe or anything more severe, take her in right away.