New Rescue Cat Pooping On Carpet! Not Bonding Well!

Tbl2326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted this sweet girl named Kiki last Saturday. I first saw her on petfinder, and her profile practically described my ideal cat, so I thought she would be perfect! I contact the rescue through email and got in touch with her foster, who had her for two months.

I asked her a lot about Kiki, and made it known that I babysit a few days a week and how she was with kids. The foster reassured me she was a absolute sweet heart, but she doesn’t like to play but adores being loved on and how low maintenance she would be.

I meet her and she is so small and compact, and a little spooked but she put up with being handled, and even getting her nails clip wih no fuss! I was thinking that her chill personality would make her a perfect cat for me, since I’m also really chill! She eventually warmed up to me and I thought she is it! I’m getting her now!!!

I did research up on kitty care and what to do if i get an adult cat or a baby one, so I wasn’t going in blind at all. I have always wanted a cat for a few years now and only just now got the okay from my mom.

And guys, she is sooo sweet! Like really, this girl is adorable! And her foster who sung her very high praise just assured me even more! She gets along with everybody the foster said, cats, little himans and big humans, and she chill around and likes to be petted. Even when she had a potty problems in her crate and later when she was put in the room with me. Poop and peed, but I was assured it was normal since most cats don’t like to be moved around a lot. And that she has no problem going in a litter box.

So i bring her home that day but I had to go to work and didn’t get back until 1 in the morning cause my job sucks. My mom texts and says Kiki has pooped on the carpet.

I was worried and cleaned it up when i got back home only for her to do it two more times before I go to sleep. I aslo think she peed in her bed.

Day 2 with Kiki and I’m running into the same problems and contact her foster, and was told to change the litter to ‘fast acting’. She poops outside my doorway and again in her room on the floor, before dumping one in her litter box, again uncovered.

At this point my growing fondness of Kiki is rapidly nose diving and I’m also worrying about how i might not be the right owner and how maybe Kiki doesn’t like my house, or maybe she should be with other cats?? Is she just insecure?! Did i let her roam around to early? Did I jump the gun and adopt a cat when I wasn’t ready at all? I check in on her during the day and give her the daily petting quota. I change out her water and food and attempt to play but Kiki isn’t interested so I leave her to her adjusting and go about my day.

I open the door to her safe room during the day (which is the kids room so it has to be temporary) so she can walk around or just chill in the room if she wants.

Day 3 and she is sitting in the doorway before moving a little outside and just looking around and she gets up to explore a bit before retreating. She is adapting, even when it’s time to babysit my niece and nephew.
She even tries to rub up on him.

My fondness starts to grow again, but than my niece says she just pooped in the middle of the hall. And its not small like previous and it stinks. At this point I realize that it seriously bothers me, and share all my worries with her foster and feel a bit brushed off, but she does try to help me with the problem.

Now, on day 4 and Kiki is still adorable but now I’m feeling very detached and unmoved by her. Especially when I wake up to two more big dumps on the carpet in her safe room.

I’m feeling a little misled and blank.

Kiki is adapting well though. I know she has bonded well with me and that it’s only a matter of time before she is out and about with confidence but I’m not moved by it at all. I mechanically take care of her and give her attention, but my heart is not in it at all.

I don’t care if she stays and I don’t care if I take her back. My mind tells me I should return her to her foster, but I know when I do I will be giving up on having a cat, and I don’t want to.

I’m wondering if I’m the only one who has felt like this? Will it get better? Will it really?? I’m very disappointed in myself right now and I’m seriously wondering if I’m just a little broken. There is nothing wrong with Kiki, and i think we really could have meshed well, but my heart says otherwise.

Also, the pooping. It doesn’t bother me at all to clean it up, by the second day I was a pro. But I do babysit and my house is small. I don’t want the kids anywhere near it. And it’s only a matter of time before I let her roam free and she poops and somebody accidentally steps in it. I don’t like that. I don’t want that.

My mom is cool now, but I know that won’t last if this keeps up.

Any help is welcome.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! What if you don't make this into a one and done?
If you return this kitty, she will have a chance to be adopted by someone else, and later on you'd possibly have the chance with a different cat.

In the meantime, has she been to the vet in the last few weeks?

I'm not clear why a fast acting litter would be of help unless the thinking is to have a litterbox where the pee is clumped up by the time she needs to poop, --some cats have very specific preferences about litter boxes.
I think you could do better by having multiple boxes so she has choices of clean ones, and you could try a litter called Cat Attract. Be sure to cean the boxes daily.

If you don't have one, an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's miracle or The Equalizer (this one doesn't require soaking) will help a lot.

Is she getting the same food that the foster was feeding her? Can you get a blanket she was sleeping on from the foster?

Can you try music? Classical harp music will help her to relax, and there's an app called Relax My Cat.

You could also try some chamomile tea.
From @Mamanyt1953 ;

"I'm going to suggest trying 1-3 teaspoonfuls of chilled chamomile tea, up to 3 times a day. Administer via syringe, placing the tip between the cheek and gum, and injecting SLOWLY, allowing time to swallow. Use the commercial tea bags from the coffee/tea aisle of your local grocery store to insure that you are getting German chamomile, which is safe for cats. English, which often grows in gardens, is not.
I like the chamomile because it is gently calming without being actually sedating. No wobbly, drunk kitties staggering around."

And be sure to play with her and love on her beyond the daily quota. If you find you can't do that because the issues have now defined her for you, then she should definitely be given back to the foster :).

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to give her back, do so as soon as possible. The smaller and cuter she is for new adopters the better. The less time she has to bond with you and become secure in her new home, the less traumatic leaving will be.

If the pooping isn't a medical problem, she might be a little afraid being home alone for long stretches of time. It's possible with your job you just don't have the schedule for a cat right now. You are right to think of her first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tbl2326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The foster suggested it so I assume she used there? And yes, it the same brand of food. She eats it well, and drinks water just fine. She is a good cat acept the pooping. I think I have been turned away by the pooping. Seeing her convulsing by my bedroom door and a day later in the middle of the hallway scared me a bit. :(

I do live in a neighborhood with a lot of stray cats. And I wondered if she would be calmer with another cat? Foster said she was cool with other cats around her and was friendly.

Tbl2326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you're going to give her back, do so as soon as possible. The smaller and cuter she is for new adopters the better. The less time she has to bond with you and become secure in her new home, the less traumatic leaving will be.

If the pooping isn't a medical problem, she might be a little afraid being home alone for long stretches of time. It's possible with your job you just don't have the schedule for a cat right now. You are right to think of her first.
It was only the first night she was alone. I was actually off for a period of time, which is why I took her home so i could properly look after her. I do close the door at night, after she poop by my doorway. I didn’t want my mom to get up in the morning and step on anything.

Tbl2326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was convulsing? You need to get her to a vet right away.

Hmm, i think it would be better to say strain a bit to get it out? She did the same when i first met her with her foster, who didn’t seemed worried. I will see if I can set up an appointment.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is the "convulsing" how you describe the muscles that move when she poops?

Edit: I saw that you sort of answered that, but I do think she needs to go to a vet. This could be a medical issue. It could also be anxiety about being in a new place, which could get better as she gets more comfortable.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, okay that's totally different from convulsing.

I think you might be on the way to understanding why she's pooping outside of the box. She's constipated and it's difficult for her. I do say you've got a good cat-person attitude toward it.

Did you change her food from what the foster was giving her? That's okay, but it works better if you do it gradually mixing some of the new with some of what her insides are used to.

Stress can be a factor in constipation. Changing houses and losing the people and cats she knew and getting a new person is stressful. Since you are the only being in the house, maybe she could sleep in her carrier near your bed? She's not used to being alone.

You might try adding a teaspoon of pumpkin to her wet food. Get the plain pumpkin, not the pie filling. The pie filling has spices that aren't good for cats.

If this continues a vet can help you both.

Tbl2326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the "convulsing" how you describe the muscles that move when she poops?

Edit: I saw that you sort of answered that, but I do think she needs to go to a vet. This could be a medical issue. It could also be anxiety about being in a new place, which could get better as she gets more comfortable.
Her foster seems to think that is the case. She said she never pooped outside when she was with her. Plus she is confident when she is around me, and has even explored a bit, but that was after she did the big poo in the middle of the hallway. :|

Tbl2326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, okay that's totally different from convulsing.

I think you might be on the way to understanding why she's pooping outside of the box. She's constipated and it's difficult for her. I do say you've got a good cat-person attitude toward it.

Did you change her food from what the foster was giving her? That's okay, but it works better if you do it gradually mixing some of the new with some of what her insides are used to.

Stress can be a factor in constipation. Changing houses and losing the people and cats she knew and getting a new person is stressful. Since you are the only being in the house, maybe she could sleep in her carrier near your bed? She's not used to being alone.

You might try adding a teaspoon of pumpkin to her wet food. Get the plain pumpkin, not the pie filling. The pie filling has spices that aren't good for cats.

If this continues a vet can help you both.
My room is small, with my bed taking up space in the middle and bookcases and drawers hogging up the wall. I only have free floor in the form of a walk way left. And if she is with me I would never get to sleep worrying about what she doing and how she is or if she going to poop on the carpet again.

I do think she is still feeling insecure but i do wonder how pumpkin will help? What does that do? I already gave her a blanket i used frequently as a bed.

My house is very quiet when I’m not babysitting and it’s just me and my mom. Her foster said she is used to noise, and said her son play electric guitar next to her and the cats.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin is fiber and eases the constipation, if that is what is actually going on. A vet could give a more definite answer.

Where is her litter box? Is it easy for her to get to? Is it easy for her to climb in it? I ask because we don't know how big she is and how high the door or opening on the litter box is.

Tbl2326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also want to mention she isn’t interested in playing, doesn’t pay any attention to the toys and I don’t think she has used her cat scratcher.

Tbl2326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pumpkin is fiber and eases the constipation, if that is what is actually going on. A vet could give a more definite answer.

Where is her litter box? Is it easy for her to get to? Is it easy for her to climb in it? I ask because we don't know how big she is and how high the door or opening on the litter box is.
She now has two. One small and one big. One is by the door the other isn’t. When i woke up this morning she poopped near both. And peed in the bigger one.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's still early days. Just looking around, getting used to the new house and people is taking up all of her mental abilities that aren't involved in being a bit nervous. She's a baby, she likes to play, but she's not that confident. She's the smallest one there and isn't sure about anything.

Kittens need to sleep a lot, 17 hours out of 24. She has to find spots that feel safe and try them out.

Our cat, who has been here since she was 5 weeks old and is now 6 years lets toys sit on the floor for 9 months before she plays with them. It's a cat thing. She's the only one I've ever had that did this. Your cat will probably get with toys very soon.

Tbl2326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's still early days. Just looking around, getting used to the new house and people is taking up all of her mental abilities that aren't involved in being a bit nervous. She's a baby, she likes to play, but she's not that confident. She's the smallest one there and isn't sure about anything.

Kittens need to sleep a lot, 17 hours out of 24. She has to find spots that feel safe and try them out.

Our cat, who has been here since she was 5 weeks old and is now 6 years lets toys sit on the floor for 9 months before she plays with them. It's a cat thing. She's the only one I've ever had that did this. Your cat will probably get with toys very soon.
Oh, she isn’t a kitten! She is full grown main coon mix! She just smaller than average? She isn’t interested at all. She doesn’t even look at them.

Tbl2326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good, she's getting closer to the box. I'd say that means she's feeling better.
She actuall mad it in a few times! But she doesn’t cover it and she barely hangs over it. I think she covered up her pee a bit today, but that it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat age 3- 10 years sleep 13 - 16 hours a day. Everything else is the same, she's still the smallest being in the house, she is still adjusting to losing her home and people, despite you being a good person in her mind she just lost her home and family. And her stomach issues are the same, except that she can get in and out of the box okay.