New Rescue Cat - Am I Doing The Right Thing?

thelittlewraith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am brand new here and I hope it's not too redundant to start this thread. I've found some really reassuring threads on similar issues, and this is one of the only places I've found so far where people discuss how they felt emotionally, too.

The summary is: I adopted a rescue cat, and forgot to adjust my expectations of how long it would take her to get comfortable. Now I'm a little anxious/paranoid she'll be scared and in hiding forever.

A little over two weeks ago I adopted Maggie. She's about 16 months old. I believe she was found as part of a colony, and brought inside to assess her temperament during a TNR. She'd been in foster care from about October 2018 to mid-January of this year (with a whack ton of other cats and dogs), and then she came home with me. Her foster mom said she spent the first few months very afraid of humans, but in the last few weeks of her time there started accepting pets and treats, playing with wand toys, and eventually even coming up to request affection and head scratches. I fell in love and brought her home.

I definitely made a few mistakes right off the bat - my apartment is medium-sized, but it doesn't actually have a lot of doors. The dining room would have been the best option as a "safe room" for her, but it's connected to the kitchen via open doorway, and I didn't want her hiding behind the fridge or radiator. So I basically set her loose in the living room and left my bedroom door open. For the first few days I didn't see her, but she came out from under the couch/my bed to eat, drink, and use the litter, so I wasn't worried.

Well, it's been two weeks now, and we have developed something of a routine. I usually leave my bedroom door open because she likes to sleep under my bed at night, but when I get home from work she'll hide under the couch in the living room. At that point I close off the other doors and feed her, so she eats dinner with me in the room (as long as it's dark out). Afterwards, if I don't startle her, she will hop up on what has become "her" chair and have a bath and a snooze while I read/watch TV/eat dinner. Once, she let me approach slowly and scratch her head, but more often than not she'll hide under the chair or couch when I get up.

Most of the time, however, she seems very timid and spends her days in hiding. If I offer her a treat in my hand while she's under the bed, she might eat it but then quickly retreat further away. She's hissed once or twice, but I think more as a half-hearted "back off" when I move too quickly and stand too tall. She doesn't seem super interested in the treats I currently have or in the laser pointer - she's a little more intrigued by the "spider" on a string I crocheted for her, but any sudden movements from me and she takes off again. Should I ignore her? Stop offering treats? Or push her little, lure her with food, pet her while she's eating? Also wondering whether I should keep her in the living room and not let her into my bedroom, although I do find it cute she sleeps under my bed, even if it has nothing to do with me.

I'm very glad I adopted her, and I love her dearly - which is why it's so hard for me to watch from afar, and to panic about her not warming up. I try to bring a calm and happy energy home, but every time she hides or squirms away from me, it's a little gut-wrenching.

I have no plans to give up anytime soon - I know it can take months. But I would incredibly grateful for any stories with happy endings, words of advice or encouragement, or even how you coped emotionally with a similar situation. (I'm probably a little over-sensitive.) I'm sorry this is so gargantuan in length, but many thanks in advance!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It may take a long time (varies greatly by cat) but she will eventually become more comfortable with you and less anxious about her new home.

You will hear wonderful happy-endings from members on this site, and I am sure some trial and tribulations they have been through as well.

You need to talk to her - even from a distance rather than ignore her. Get her used to hearing your voice and being comfortable without feeling as if she is going to be picked up, etc. Make your movements slowly, as in don't stand up abruptly or move toward her in a quick fashion. Also, what ever toys she seems to like give her plenty of play time.

Here is a TCS article that might include some tips for you to try in getting her adapted to her new home.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Good luck!! You will get there!!!

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! First of all, congrats on your new cat and giving her a safe and loving home :) From what I've read, you seem to be doing everything right! It's always good to push for a bit of interaction every day, while also giving her space to work through her skittish feelings. I personally have found that pushing a skittish cat with pets/physical affection can do more harm than good, because they can feel like they're being a bit threatened. However, treats and trying to play with a quiet toy can have good results (they approach on their own terms vs you invading their space). The article linked above has lots of great information.

When I was growing up, my family adopted a mostly feral cat, Charlie. He'd come out sometimes, but the slightest noise would send him running behind the deep freeze or furnace for the first solid year in the house. It took him about a year, but when he was ready, he'd come up to the family and ask for pets, belly rubs, etc. Feeding him treats when he was out, playing with a rod toy under a blanket or towel, and sitting there and letting him come up and eat treats at a closer distance to us also really helped with his confidence.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site.

There is already a lot of great advice and insight.

Everything you are experiencing is very normal, expected, and common. And you are doing a GREAT job with her. I can pretty much guarantee you that she will not be scared or be in hiding forever. It does take time but I can tell from your post you are great for her. Please do not worry about the situation. I honestly think she is doing better than expected.

I would not worry, I don't think you made any mistakes off the bat. You were thinking of her safety. And her response (eating, drinking, etc) tells us that there was no mistake made. It is very common and normal for a cat to be in hiding for the first few days/weeks. So the fact she responded so quickly is a big positive.

The routine sounds really good. It is great that she sleeps under your bed at night (I am assuming you are sleeping as well in the bed at the same time). It is normal for a new cat to hide when a person comes home from work. Cats have a survival instinct so an unknown entering their territory is something of a scare. So hiding is normal and then when the cat builds that trust it becomes less. I personally would think about not closing any doors before feeding. I am torn a bit but I always like to keep territory available to a cat as long as there is no threat in the other room etc. It is not a big issue though.

Food is the BEST way to build trust with a cat. And to hear she is eating with you in the room is exactly what we want. It is a positive association that builds trust. So the cat associates the person with something good and life sustaining. I deal with ferals all the time (in the wild) and I use food in this manner all the time with great success. The way to a cat's heart is through their stomach as well.

Then after eating she jumps on her chair. GREAT. This is what we are looking for. She is increasing her territory, ownership. Fantastic. What we want to do is just hang out at this point. We always want the cat to initiate the contact at this point. It is very normal for a cat to respond to a person getting up etc. But the more she realizes that nothing bad happens when you get up she will stop (or at least reduce) doing that. Some cats are more skittish if a person gets up too slowly or too quickly. I have a former feral who is 9 now and she will at times respond cautiously. The other 2 never do it and the other 1 will rarely do it. It just depends on the cat. My point is it is not something to really worry about, it is normal.

It is very normal for her to be timid and spending her days in "hiding". Now "hiding" may just be hanging out, being comfortable. Most likely right now it is a combination of that and trying to "find her feet' with her new home. Some cats like to be in hideaways etc. Again, absolutely normal and expected and noting to worry about. Hissing is normal and communication. As you rightly put it it was just a "hey, back off" comment. Again very normal. At that point just act normal and back off. That let's her know that you pose no threat. If you want to give her a treat or something at that point to show you are a positive and not a threat that is good (but only if there is no risk of you being hurt). Just make sure you don't make any real movements towards her. Cats don't really want to hurt anyone unless they feel threatened.

Cats take on our emotions so trying to be as calm and confident around them helps them be more calm and confident. If we are fearful then they can become more fearful and therefore more of a risk.

At this point I would do a few things. I like to sit near the cat and just be there and not a threat. Talk lovingly to the cat, softly, calmly, confidently. Keep just hanging out with her when she is in her chair. I would continue to use food. Try some stinky treats and see what she may like. You can just put them down, if she doesn't come out then walk away. At some point she will associate you with something good. If she likes her food more then do this during feeding time. Some cats don't always like treats for whatever reason.

I would probably hold off on play for now. Because the movements might be a bit worrying to her. play will be a part of our building her confidence but for now I think I would hold off and use food and just hanging out to build trust and confidence.

I would definitely keep your bedroom open and let her sleep under your bed. Cats are all about territory and ownership so I hate to take territory away and since she loves it and she is really bonding with you there I would continue allowing her in your bedroom as long as you are fine with it.

I would also add some warm and comfy cat beds, a scratching post, and a cat tree or a few. Cats like to "own" territory so the more things they can get their scent on the more ownership they can have. That builds confidence. Cat trees are also great to get their scents on and also to go high which builds confidence. Height builds confidence. Her chair is great for her.

You are doing a GREAT job. Please do not be hard on yourself or worry. Everything you are experiencing is very normal. Actually you are progressing faster than most adoptions. Just be yourself, don't worry, stay calm, confident, and positive. There will be ups and downs but I have no doubt everything will work out fine. Every indication suggests that. We will be with you every step of the way. I always believe the human is a large reason for why things work out or not. I can sense from your post that the human is a major positive in this relationship. Cats respond to love and I see no reason why she will not though some cats are less cuddly or people cats than others. But is is way too early to suggest that is the issue here (I get sense that is not going to be an issue though)

Please do not worry. You are doing a great job, everything is normal, you progress is actually better than most. We will be with you every step of the way but getting a sense of who you are I think we will be fine.

Please ask any questions. Please do not worry about length etc. Our goal is to make the situation the best it can be. We are always here for you.

Last edited:

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two weeks for an older feral cat to settle in is nothing. And she sounds like she is doing very well. She's eating and pooping so there are no problems there.

Play or don't play? Depends on the cat - does she seem interested but cautious or does she seem scared?

Get into a bedtime routine where you put out a good stinky treat and get into bed at about the same time, and then sit and read or talk to yourself and then lights out at about the same time. At some point, she's going to come out and go for a treat if she's not already on her chair. Praise the heck out of her.

Try not to reach out for her and try to ignore her when she starts walking near or by you. This was hardest for me to do with my former feral - I just broke down one day and reached in for a pet, he liked it but that didn't happen often. I would also reach down and touch him whenever he walked by - just a hand or finger on his flank as he scooted by never enough to stop or slow him down.

It took time, but my guy went from this:

to this

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your story, and for taking a chance on a shy kitty. I have had two shy/skittish cats, and I think that once you develop that bond with them, they are truly the best and most loving cats you could have. Of course, I can also relate to feeling anxious about making them happy and impatient to be sure that they're comfortable with you and in your home! Patience will pay off, and you and your cat will build that very special relationship together but it does take a lot of time.

If you haven't already discovered this thread, it's a good one to read:
Extremely Skittish Cat

Also, rosegold rosegold had a thread about adopting Chai that might be helpful. A lot of people shared their experiences on both threads.

When Juniper, a very skittish cat, was getting used to our apartment, something that really helped was her cat tree. It was in the living room so that she could hang out with us in the evening from a safe space where she could keep a very close eye on us. Eventually, we were able to approach her slowly and with warning for pets. If she wasn't in the mood, she could always decline by hopping down and going behind our couch. If she did accept pets, we would pet her cautiously and very very briefly so she never felt overwhelmed. It sounds like your cat has adopted a chair that is her space, and perhaps you could try cautiously approaching her in a week or two as long as she has a clear and easy escape route from it.

We also offered Juniper playtime every morning and evening, and it was up to her whether to accept or decline. Often, she accepted as long as we played with toys like the laser pointer and cat dancer that allowed her some distance. I think the key with both strategies was to be really open ended, and to take our cues from her about whether she felt comfortable.

I think it's a good sign that she likes to sleep under your bed. She seems to like to spend time near you even if she's not interacting directly with you. Juniper first dared to approach us at night while we were asleep-- she would hop up on the bed for a few seconds, sniff around, and then make a quick escape. Eventually, she tried a kamikaze 30 second cuddle, which grew longer as she grew braver. Some cats understand that we won't move suddenly or startle them when we're asleep and will approach at night.

One of the big breakthroughs in our relationship occurred 7 months after her adoption-- she finally hopped up on my lap, made herself comfortable, and took a long snooze while I read my Kindle. This was the first time she had sat on my lap for longer than a few seconds, and a magical moment. I'm sure you and your cat will have your own breakthroughs together, too, that will make everything that came before worth it. You're doing a wonderful job with this kitty, and the only missing ingredient here is time.

If you get a chance, please share pics! Here's one of Juniper snuggled up and being cute on my lap. She's now an enthusiastic lap-sitter and bed-snuggler.

long kitty.jpg

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello and don’t panic—you’re doing awesome! :) Two weeks is nothing and she is already making wonderful progress by eating with you in there and having found her “spot” on the chair. Personally I would push her confidence gently rather than ignore her. If she’s hiding under the couch, I would lie on the floor near her and do something calm and non-invasive nearby, occasionally and nonchalantly tossing a delicious treat under there every once in a while. I had great luck with canned mackerel, boiled chicken, ciao churu pouch treats, and funnily enough some plain old kibble. Sometimes I would spend 3-4 hours at a time just lying on the floor hanging out near Chai (in her hiding spot) while we watched Netflix on my laptop together.

Everyone has already given you many wonderful suggestions. Besides food and patience, the two unexpected “magic spells” I discovered that helped my Chai immensely were 1) talking in a specific soft, kind voice and praising her nonstop and 2) mimicking cat stretching and relaxing with my own body language. Extending my “claws” in a stretch, blinking and yawning, licking my lips before “falling asleep”. She would watch me and mimic my movements. Slow blinks are HUGE. Once you’ve got those you know you’re well on your way. If she seems timid of hands you can try a “petting stick”, though it sounds like she’s already pretty far along in that area.

As for toys, my guess is she will come around eventually and start playing with them. She just needs more time. Can you leave some various toys scattered around when you leave? Mousies, kick toys, ball circuits... You might even be able to see the evidence that playtime has occurred when you get home. :)

When I adopted Chai, she was semiferal after being picked up off the street and no one at the shelter had been able to touch her for the ~11 months she’d been there. She hissed anytime you approached. But I fell in love nonetheless. We went from this:

ABB8AFF8-16F0-423D-B4FE-1571F3C98B95.jpeg

to this:

92563BC5-4CDD-46EE-9FB5-D8769EF6619F.jpeg

5AF56679-DA4C-4A12-8EED-2DA2B8BB2666.jpeg

I couldn’t touch her for about 5 weeks, and if I hadn’t had my other cat Chilli to help increase her confidence I think it would’ve taken a lot longer. But once she opened up she became the most loving, playful cuddlebug of a cat who would purr if you so much as looked at her and wanted pets constantly. I foresee a similarly wonderful future for you and Maggie.

My thread on Chai is Socializing My New Semi-feral
It unfortunately has a sad ending. But a very happy ending in terms of successfully socializing her and her transforming into the lovely little cat she was for the brief time she was with me. I documented her socialization process and got tons of amazing advice from people on this site, so you may find some hope or helpful info there!

As for dealing with your own emotions about the situation... my advice is just let go of every expectation you have for her. Don’t put a timeline on her and try to focus instead on the tiniest victories. The fact that she is comfy enough in her home to groom and eat with you there. Yay! Maybe sometime she’ll bat at a toy. Hooray! Maybe she’ll slow blink at you. Incredible! Maybe you’ll get her an especially yummy snack and you get to watch her happily chow down. Heart eyes! You love her and you are making her life a happy and safe one! The fact that she’s already let you scratch her head, and that she opened up so much in her foster home, make me feel certain she will warm up soon. Keep posting and asking questions and most of all, just be patient. It will be VERY rewarding and worth the wait to see her finally blossom and trust you. Here for you for support and happy to help in any way I can!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't want to fill up your thread with my stories, and I don't want to get into a 'my cat was more feral than yours' contest, but thelittlewraith thelittlewraith , you and Maggie are going to be fine. Just give it time.

Long story short, when I first saw Barry, it was an instant connection but it took a while before we snatched him up. When we got him, I didn't know some things - why would a kitten spend 6 months in a shelter? what was wrong with his ear? what's a feral cat?

I figured it out, and accepted the fact that the best Barry might do is stay in the same room with us. Then I set out to socialize him as much as possible. I aimed for lap cat not merely "socialized." I did everything I could to get Barry comfortable and confident. I wasn't going to force him (too much) to do anything, but I wasn't going to set a low bar for him either.

I'm still aiming for lap cat - he has just started regularly hopping up on the couch with me. He's on the other end from me, but he doesn't mind when I scoot over to pet him.

Another before and after:
This was Barry's beauty shot for the shelter. He was never much better in the shelter and never blossomed or thrived in that environment.

This was after one month. I didn't see his belly again for over a year. Now, depending on his mood, he'll roll over just to let me know we're buddies.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot a couple really important things in my previous post.

With ferals I always try to approach from beneath their eye level. I never want to stand over them or reach from above of them.

I always try to stay as low as possible. And when I give food or treats I try to place the food from a low angle.

I also tend to not look at or stare at a cat for long. Sometimes not making eye contact helps the cat build trust. And giving eye kisses (close your eyes to the cat and hold close for 5 seconds or so) then slowly open is really important. This shows you trust her and will help her trust you. At some point she may even return the eye kisses. If so, that is fantastic.

I always let the cat initiate contact. At some point the cat will start to rub on your legs most likely (not all will but most). Just let them get their scent on you to allow them to "own" you. At some point then I will be sitting on the floor and I will put my hand out (close to the ground) and see if they will rub on my hand. But that is down the road. Don't reach out etc until later. It is a process.

There is so much great advice and insight in the prior threads that you don't have to worry. You are in good hands and I am highly confident all will go well.

Feel free to ask anything anytime. We all are happy to help.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everyone gave great advise and you are doing great. Maggie wants to be in the same room. If you don't already have a soft chair or cat tree in the bedroom try getting one for her. Maybe she'll come out from under the bed if she has her own spot. I also suggest getting a Cat Dancer. It was the first toy my skittish boy agreed to play with me with. It's on an almost invisible wire and you don't have move your hand for it to bounce around. The wire worries me so I keep it hidden when not in use.

Cat Dancer Original Cat Toy - Chewy.com

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
thelittlewraith thelittlewraith : Hello and welcome to TCS. I'm glad you found us. Lots of members here have experience with former ferals, and can attest to the fact that they will in time become settled in their new home.

I don't personally have any experience with ferals, but I love reading the threads about them. I also love seeing pics of them. :camera: Do you have any of Maggie you can share? How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thelittlewraith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't thank everyone enough for all of your advice! I genuinely can't express how happy and grateful I am. It really reassured and bolstered me, and I think my energy has been better at home because of it. I've really loved seeing your photos and reading your stories! Thank you for your toy suggestions, too, and the article links!

I've definitely been convinced of the need for a more immediate cat tree and/or shelf, so I've been looking around and will buy one soon. Also, giving Maggie her own "spot" in my bedroom is an excellent idea, so I'm going to look into that as well!

As per some of the comments, I've started leaving the dining room door open when we have dinner in the living room, and she's started exploring it more! I think that's a good sign, in terms of her feeling like the apartment is her "territory"? She hasn't let me pet her again, but she does let me approach, and this morning she ventured out in daylight, and slept right under my bed right near the edge instead of way in the centre! (Yes, in answer to C calicosrspecial , I do sleep in the same bed she sleeps under, so I'm glad that's a good sign!)

Something I still struggle with is talking out loud or to help - I live alone, and while I do sometimes talk out loud, more often than not I'm pretty quiet. I'm trying to work on reading out loud, but it's kind of a struggle. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways I could get her used to my voice? I assume this is pretty important?

Thank you again, and I will post updates soon. Pictures included this time!

Here's Maggie checking me out:
20190202_202645.jpg

Here she is snoozing on her chair:
20190202_202834.jpg

And bonus pic of a very relaxed kitty:
20190202_202939.jpg

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is GORGEOUS and looks so relaxed and comfy!! And it’s great that she lets you approach! How about approaching, setting down a treat nearby, and calmly leaving? Once she associates you with yummies I think you will have a best friend for life. :)

Something I still struggle with is talking out loud or to help - I live alone, and while I do sometimes talk out loud, more often than not I'm pretty quiet. I'm trying to work on reading out loud, but it's kind of a struggle. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways I could get her used to my voice? I assume this is pretty important?
I live alone too, and I never talk out loud to myself, but I talk nonstop to my cats. :lol: Reading aloud feels awkward to me, so I didn’t really do that. When I was trying to get Chai used to my voice I told her how cute she was, talked about what my plans were that day, or just praised her. Or sometimes just absolute nonsense and making up silly nicknames for her. For her, like I mentioned, the tone of voice was the most important. A soothing, praising, “baby voice” tone really helped her a lot. And don’t forget slow blinks! I scarcely noticed myself talking or the dumb things I was saying once I saw how positively she was reacting to it. Of course, that might’ve just been unique to her. But I think it’s definitely worth a try! Especially if chatting with her is paired with yummy treats.

Sometimes I also just called family or friends and talked on the phone in her safe room, which I’m sure was good too. But obviously I didn’t talk on the phone in the baby cat voice. Still helped her, I think.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww.... she's beautiful. :catlove:
And looks super relaxed there on her chair. :lovecat:

About talking to her, eventually it'll come really easy, but for starters just say her name a lot, so she learns it. Like "Hi Maggie", "How are you, Maggie". And especially "want some dinner, Maggie" or "want a treat, Maggie". And maybe when you come home say "Maggie, I'm home." And when you're leaving, "Maggie, I'm going out now. I'll be back later. Love you". :hearthrob:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome.

Thank you for the pictures. She looks like a happy, relaxed cat who is LOVING her new home and life. The pictures tell me you are way ahead in hte progression. Great work.

She is absolutely gorgeous!!

It is VERY normal and common that she is still unsure of petting. It takes time. I like to wait until a cat starts to rub on me (on my legs). They might rub and then run but in time they will rub and stay there. Then I will just be on the couch or a chair or on the floor and just put my hand out holding it still. At some point they will then rub and probably run on your hand. Then rub and stay. Then at some point they will allow an approach from below of the hand to allow a pet. They might be skittish at first. But it will probably happen. Cats take on our emotions so being calm, confident, normal etc is very helpful in helping them understand it is good. Then when they get their scent glands rubbed etc they tend to love it. Not all cats like to be touched so let's see how she is. Don't worry, it is a process and takes some time.

The fact she let's you approach her is a huge positive. And seeing that 1st pic of her with her looking confident is a great positive. Venturing out in the daylight another great positive. And sleeping more towards the edge under the bed the same. This is the progression we look for, a sign of feeling more at home, confident and comfortable. Fantastic. She is actually well ahead of where the vast majority of cats would be. Well done.

Exploring more is a great sign she is getting more confident. Scent soakers like bedding, cat trees, scratching posts are great at helping a cat feel ownership of the territory.

As rosegold and rubysmama excellently suggest tone and what you are say are important. A calm, confident, loving, soothing tone. It can be "Hi Maggie", "Good Girl Maggie", "It's ok", "See you later Maggie" etc are great things. If you are sitting on the floor just tell her "you are beautiful" and the above. I believe this is more of a second phase type thing as you are beyond the initial new cat/hiding phase. She seems very comfortable with you at this point so I don't think you need to do the things we do like read from a book etc especially if you don't feel comfortable.

How does she react if she is in the same room when you are on the phone? Or when the phone rings?

You are doing great. I think you are well ahead in the process. Please do not worry, I know she is in good hands and I am highly confident she will continue to respond to your love for her.

Always here for you anytime. keep up the great work.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's a cutie! Now it is just time. Bribe her with treats to get her closer.

Talking to her: Just baby talk to her. Random, repetitive non-sense. Its easier that you live alone - so you don't have to face a human who knows what you are actually saying. BUT - try picking a "reward word" and say it a lot especially when she does anything you like and want her to repeat. I must say "good boy" a hundred times a day, and even to our female kitten.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was never good at talking to them either. But I made the effort to say any new one's name every time I went near them. With the kitten I said her name repeatedly while I was feeding her.

The only thing I'd suggest is to lock her out of the kitchen while you are cooking. It's a matter of safety for her and for you. Cats do get right up under your feet particularly when you are moving boiling anything off the stove or getting something heavy out of the oven. They will also step on the oven door. If you do it now she won't fight you because it's just the way things are in this house.

Yes, I had a cat walk through a frying pan that was heating up to have the food put in it. Not good. I've also had them try to grab things out of boiling water. That went better than I thought, but I was never quite the same after seeing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thelittlewraith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Thought I'd post another update, although it has both good and bad news in it.

The good news: Maggie has been very brave recently! The other night, we were playing with the Cat Dancer toy that Hellenww Hellenww recommended, which she seems to love, and she approached me more than once to ask for pets and scratches! She still startles very easily, but I have bought a cat tree and a squeaky toy she can play with alone, and I think those are helping!

On the bad side - I'm worried she may be sick. This morning I noticed that her third eyelids were much more visible than usual in both eyes. I've been a bit concerned about it before, but I've only ever seen them when she is falling asleep or waking up. Now, however, I can see both of them a bit - not covering a third of her eye, but noticeably there - and I am concerned. I've called the vet, but they are closed today and tomorrow (provincial holiday where I live). I would reeeeally rather avoid taking her to the vet as I think it would traumatize her and set us back quite a bit, but I am quite worried for her health...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am quite stressed about it and don't want her to sick or in pain. Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely good news about Maggie! And, hopefully, no bad news, really. Here is another recent TCS thread about third eyelid showing - kind of like your Maggie. The thread itself isn't long, but there are a couple of other links within the thread that may be helpful?

Hopefully other members on this site will come along soon and offer some first hand experience with this!

Third Eyelid Showing

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know much about a cat's third eyelid, except that seeing them could mean the cat is ill.

The third eyelid is briefly mentioned in this TCS article: A Cat's Eyes: Windows To The Soul

However, maybe post a new thread in the Cat Health forum and hopefully members with more knowledge will reply.

Sending vibes it's nothing serious. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: