New Rawz Food

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Shredded cans have been out since last year. Here's a TCS thread about it:

The pouches seem new so probably not too many people have seen it in stores yet and have tried it. The food is probably very similar to the cans, just different packaging and likely more liquid than actual food like most pouched foods are.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that they started selling pouches; cans are recyclable, pouches can mostly be thrown to waste :(
Yes, that's a good point.

The Rawz pouch foods also have higher dry matter carbs than the cans, which is a very good in favor of the cans. Though I have no idea what's going on with the chicken/duck canned food that has a photo of shredded meat with peas and carrots that aren't in the ingredient list!

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find pouch food messy and a nusence to serve. I like cans.
I agree. I feed Ailish 35-40 calories a meal and none of the pouches work for that. They would leave me with some odd amount for a second or third meal from the pouch and no way to conveniently store it. With a can you can refrigerate the left over amount with a snap-on lid and mix it with the next can. The pouch...eh.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista can't have chicken or salmon and I reserve tuna as a nuclear option for when she won't eat anything else (or I need to mix a little medicine into her food.) So none of the shreds or pouches would work for her.

But...

The new Rabbit and Pumpkin Pate is her new favorite. And it's my new favorite for her because it's nearly as calorically dense as the plain rabbit pate. And after a month of soft stools (and worse) with the turkey, she's pooping like a pro again in just a week of the rabbit and pumpkin.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. I feed Ailish 35-40 calories a meal and none of the pouches work for that. They would leave me with some odd amount for a second or third meal from the pouch and no way to conveniently store it. With a can you can refrigerate the left over amount with a snap-on lid and mix it with the next can. The pouch...eh.

You can transfer the contents of a pouch to a small food storage container :) Or just stick the pouch in a baggie and keep it upright in the fridge.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pouches certainly have their drawbacks and I haven't yet tried the Rawz pouches, but I have an easy way I store pouch food in the fridge, for the occasional times I serve it to my cat.

I cut the pouch open only half way. Then when I close it up to put it in the fridge, I do so by folding a piece of paper towel over the partial opening and clasping that with a large office clip.

Then I can just slip the pouch through the wire shelf in the fridge and have it hang there, with the clip as the anchor, for the day or so I use it following that first pouch-opening.

Milly-27NOV2019.jpg

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that they started selling pouches; cans are recyclable, pouches can mostly be thrown to waste :(
Actually, that doesn't have to be true. For example, Weruva uses Terracycle... I am not sure if Rawz does, though.

Milly likes the Weruva BFF tuna-based pouches sometimes. You can recycle Weruva pouches, if you want.
See:
Weruva Recycling Envelope Program

Here are others that belong to the program:
Free Recycling Programs

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, that doesn't have to be true. For example, Weruva uses Terracycle... I am not sure if Rawz does, though.

Milly likes the Weruva BFF tuna-based pouches sometimes. You can recycle Weruva pouches, if you want.
See:
Weruva Recycling Envelope Program

Here are others that belong to the program:
Free Recycling Programs
Thank you so much for this! I just signed up for a Weruva envelope. We don't feed a lot of those pouches but enough to make it worth starting a collection.

And I love your suggestion for saving leftover pouch food -- the clip must make it impossible to forget about the leftovers! I just fold the top of the pouch over (a paper clip or chip clip works to hold it shut), stick the pouch in a large mug, and put it all in the refrigerator.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this! I just signed up for a Weruva envelope. We don't feed a lot of those pouches but enough to make it worth starting a collection.

And I love your suggestion for saving leftover pouch food -- the clip must make it impossible to forget about the leftovers! I just fold the top of the pouch over (a paper clip or chip clip works to hold it shut), stick the pouch in a large mug, and put it all in the refrigerator.
You are welcome. :)

There's a reason I cut the pouch open only halfway (or cut it approximately the width of an office clip). When I warm it up for the next meal or snack, I use the office clip to block the pouch opening but also to attach it to the edge of a tupperware container to stabilize it. Then I run hot water over it, let it sit a few minutes, and let it warm up that way.

Milly-27NOV2019-h20.jpg

(The tuna BFF is not my idea of an ideal food so I just serve it as a fun snack sometimes for Milly, usually when I want to add more water to one of her meals -- e.g. it's pretty much the only food she'll allow more water added to it, sigh.)

This is awesome, thank you!!
You're welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a reason I cut the pouch open only halfway (or cut it approximately the width of an office clip). When I warm it up for the next meal or snack, I use the office clip to block the pouch opening but also to attach it to the edge of a tupperware container to stabilize it. Then I run hot water over it, let it sit a few minutes, and let it warm up that way.
That's very practical! And I think we all feed our cats the occasional meal of something that's not considered to be particularly healthy. I do that with some pouch foods, too, particularly shredded chicken with pumpkin, which I drain some, though I should go back to putting it in a strainer to get rid of more of the tapioca glop!

Also, do you happen to know if the Weruva pouch recycling can include Soulistic, too? (I'll check with the recycler or Soulistic if you don't know already!)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, do you happen to know if the Weruva pouch recycling can include Soulistic, too? (I'll check with the recycler or Soulistic if you don't know already!)
I'm pretty certain all Weruva pouches fall under the program.
FAQs - Weruva | Because We Luvya

If you look there, under Product questions, and "Are pouches recyclable?", it seems all empty Weruva pouches would work. (Soulistic is part of Weruva, right?)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's made by the same company but the brand may not follow the same company procedures. When in doubt, check the web site or call customer service.
Yes, that's what I was thinking, too, that they might have different procedures and the recycling contract might not cover Soulistic. I didn't see anything on the Soulistic site so I'll just pop them a note. I buy more Weruva pouches than Soulistic so it really doesn't make much difference! In any case, thank you, PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws , the recycling bag should arrive in a couple weeks! I'll start saving pouches as of tonight since some Weruva slip 'n slide meal or other is on the menu! ;)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lisahe lisahe - if you have any of the Soulistic pouches at the moment, all you need to do is look at the back of the packet for the green-colored TerraCycle word and symbol. That's how I found out about TerraCycle- looking on the back of that pouch of BFF.
:thumbsup:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lisahe lisahe - if you have any of the Soulistic pouches at the moment, all you need to do is look at the back of the packet for the green-colored TerraCycle word and symbol. That's how I found out about TerraCycle- looking on the back of that pouch of BFF.
:thumbsup:
The one Soulistic pouch in our food cart doesn't have it... but the Weruva ones do (of course!) so now I know exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for the tip!

Now I wish companies like Primal and Northwest Naturals would start doing this, too!