New Rawz Canned Foods

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this, LTS3 LTS3 ! I haven't tried these yet but looked at the recipes. Duck! No BPA!

I wonder how much of the chicken/herring is herring... I don't like feeding a lot of fish but a little can be great for enticing the pickier cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I might try the rabbit and duck. The beef was a hit. I don't think the store had turkey at the time. I wish the brand didn't cost $2.99 a can :eek3: Emma loves her canned food but only gets it for a bedtime snack and leaves crumbs for IBD-Leroy :rolleyes:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The Rawz website lists its authorized online retailers. The two I looked at have it for less than $2.99 a can, but you have to buy 24 and I didn’t check shipping costs. My local indy store carries it for $2.50 a can. I was in there yesterday but they don’t have the new flavors yet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in an expensive area so everything costs a lot :sigh: I don't need a whole case of food which is why I prefer to buy a few cans as needed from the local pet store. I mostly buy NV cans but do add in other brands on occasion.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I might try the rabbit and duck. The beef was a hit. I don't think the store had turkey at the time. I wish the brand didn't cost $2.99 a can :eek3: Emma loves her canned food but only gets it for a bedtime snack and leaves crumbs for IBD-Leroy :rolleyes:
That's mighty pricey, but I really want to try this brand in the rabbit and salmon varieties -- the ingredients look so good.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The price really depends on where you live. The brand is definitely over $2 for a 5.5 oz can. A whole case of food is cheaper than buying the same amount of individual cans. Rawz is one of those "splurge" brands. Nice to include in a rotation on occasion but costs way too much to be the only food fed.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone found anyplace that sells the new flavors yet? I've checked one of the the only stores near me that carry the brand and they said their distributors don't have it yet.

There is another store a ways away that I am planning on calling, but it's a hard brand to find.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may be a month or so for the new varieties to get to distributors and then to stores. If your favorite pet store stocks the brand, give them a heads up on the new varieties and ask that they start stocking those, too.

NMT75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just picked up a can of the Duck today to try with my IBD kitty and it was $2.99 here in the Dallas area too.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
All of their canned foods are way too high in fat for my liking. :(

I’m fine paying extra for rabbit because it usually has more protein but in this case it’s just as fatty as the chicken.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m fine paying extra for rabbit because it usually has more protein but in this case it’s just as fatty as the chicken.
The chicken would irritate my IBD kitty, and all the other rabbit canned foods have so much peas and gums that I think Rawz might be better despite the fat. But I would feed the chicken (or better yet the Turkey) if I could.

Hikoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been trying to find info on the Fenugreek seeds they use in place of gums for a stabilizer. So far, all sites have stated it's been a staple of the India diet for a very long time and that recent small studies have shown it causes fertility issues in very high doses in mice. Why does canned cat food even need stabilizers anyway? What's wrong with just canning the meat/vitamins/minerals and selling it without anything else?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been trying to find info on the Fenugreek seeds they use in place of gums for a stabilizer. So far, all sites have stated it's been a staple of the India diet for a very long time and that recent small studies have shown it causes fertility issues in very high doses in mice. Why does canned cat food even need stabilizers anyway? What's wrong with just canning the meat/vitamins/minerals and selling it without anything else?
I think they use it as a binder. They need something to bind the ingredients together. You make a good point though that we don’t know the long term effects of a lot of the ingredients in cat food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get irritated about thickeners and binders, too, particularly since so many of them have potential health risks (e.g. carrageenan) and/or increase carbs (e.g. potato starch). Our cats' favorite foods are homemade and commercial raw foods that don't have any binders or thickeners, and Tiki Cat's original product line, which has none of that stuff, is pretty popular with a lot of cats so I suspect this is another case where humans at pet food companies are trying to create products that seem appealing to human consumers. I'm sure certain kinds of food would separate over time, look gross, and require stirring but I'd rather deal with that than feed something that's not really good for cats.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have recently switched from feeding expensive Primal to Rawz can and kibble formulas. I will save a bit more money now. The cats love it and they do not have digestive issues with it. I just wish I knew how to control litter box odor better. I have a litter robot but the odor is still there.

Hikoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I did more fenugreek info gathering.

Each can of Rawz Turkey and Turkey Liver cat food is 5.5 oz and has roughly 200 cals. (per manufacturer's website) RAWZ | Turkey & Turkey Liver Pâté

They claim each 5.5 oz can has 96% Turkey and Turkey Liver (per the can label) while the entire ingredient list they provide is as follows - Turkey, Turkey Liver, Turkey Broth, Potassium Chloride, Fenugreek Seeds, Natural Flavor, Choline Chloride, Salt, Vegetable Broth, Dandelion Greens, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Folic Acid.

From many websites that calculate cal info of foods, these ingredients:

1 oz of turkey liver is roughly 66 cals

1 oz of turkey is roughly 34 cals

1 oz of fenugreek seeds is roughly 92 cals (wow!)

Someone help me out here, because I really suck at math, but based on the ingredient list, Turkey is the main ingredient followed by Turkey liver, so those two should be the main source of cals, right?

96% of 5.5 oz is 5.28 oz. So, can I conclude there is 5.28 oz of Turkey and Turkey Liver in a 5.5 oz can with the rest of the ingredients totaling .28 oz?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I think pet food ingredient labeling practices are subjective and part of the marketing gimmick. Who knows if all this is true, really.

Hikoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wish I knew how to control litter box odor better. I have a litter robot but the odor is still there.
if litter boxes have lids, the poop/pee fumes can be really bad if there isn't adequte ventilation so i would think that robot litter boxes that store the poop/pee in even less ventillated areas of the box could become full of toxic fumes even faster then the rest of the litter box

Hikoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Errr... (members: 20, guests: 641, robots: 275) well, that was a sobering look at the internet. I always wondered if bots were really a thing on the internet - the cat site says yes, they are and some live here! heh!