New Raw.......and throwing up ? 😩

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if your cat will like lamb. Not all cats like red meat. But if you like Darwin’s, see if you can exchange a turkey for a lamb or tell them about your experience with the turkey and ask them if they’ll send you a sample of the lamb. Their lamb formula is boneless and it could be the bone causing him to bring it back up.

If he had no issues on the cooked before, I’d transition him back to that. Then the next food to try, I would do that as an extra, smaller, guest star meal and leave his regular food and meals untouched. That way an unsuccessful trial doesn’t leave him without food to eat or a couple of digestible meals in his belly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I emailed Darwin's 1 h ago

Today when I last fed him with Darwin's I noticed quite a big of a "bone" in it, maybe a cartilage, super hard, like 0.15 inches wide

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try Stella and Chewy's Selects Turkey. It has to be the Selects though because their other frozen raw contains bone, the Selects does not. However, it is very calories dense. It has some pumpkin but it may contain a good amount of fat. Each "patty" weighs about 17 grams but contains about 28 calories. You can check the nutrient profile by checking the web site or sending Stella and Chewy's an email or phone call if there isn't enough info on the site. It's also pretty expensive at 11 dollars for 1 lb. There are about 30 "patties" in a bag so at 220 calories per day (just an example) you'd get about 4 days out of a bag. But if it's available to you locally, it may be worth a shot just to see.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

Switched back to lightly boiled ground turkey + chicken liver + alnutrin

In small portions

And it's been 12h without vomiting

Options are:

It was the hairball that irritated his bowel and made him throw up for 36 hours

The raw new diet was to hard to digest in big portions. But this morning I had a light bulb on, I remembered that in the last 3-4 days I was trying to give him a routine of eating 3 times a day only and I gave him bigger portions. I work from home so I'm pretty often with him and that led to feed him 5-8 times a day, for 7-8 months. I guess the new bigger portions was "too much rich nutrient food all together"

So I'll see if switch back to Darwin's but in tiny portions to start.....or mix the current boiled homemade diet with Darwin's ....or stay with this homemade diet for good (is a light boil bad for nutrients ? I add alnutrin after, of course)

Thanks !

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try Stella and Chewy's Selects Turkey. It has to be the Selects though because their other frozen raw contains bone, the Selects does not. However, it is very calories dense. It has some pumpkin but it may contain a good amount of fat. Each "patty" weighs about 17 grams but contains about 28 calories. You can check the nutrient profile by checking the web site or sending Stella and Chewy's an email or phone call if there isn't enough info on the site. It's also pretty expensive at 11 dollars for 1 lb. There are about 30 "patties" in a bag so at 220 calories per day (just an example) you'd get about 4 days out of a bag. But if it's available to you locally, it may be worth a shot just to see.
Stella & Chewy's Selects do not have pumpkin. Here's the page for the turkey food.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stella & Chewy's Selects do not have pumpkin. Here's the page for the turkey food.
That's right, my bad. They have some fenugreek seed like the Rawz canned I feed. I should have remembered that. I think they also have some type of greens but I'm too lazy to check the link. The S@C "canned" has some pumpkin and the freeze dried has some pumpkin seed if (big IF) I recall correctly.

Thanks

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

All started Saturday morning when he vomited hair and food. Since Saturday I'm feeding lightly cooked turkey, tiny amount of pumpkin and some Laxatone.

Saturday vomited 2 times (hair and food first time, food only the second time)
Sunday 3 times, food only
Monday 1 time, food only

Today he just vomited and "finally" there is this mixed with food

Attachments

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today he just vomited and "finally" there is this mixed with food
Yuck! I hope maybe this eases things. I would have hoped that the Laxatone would help him poop it out but I guess he didn't see it that way?

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With this diet, his stool is hard little balls and it's really hard to tell what they are made of :(

And he poops every 2-3 days only

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With this diet, his stool is hard little balls and it's really hard to tell what they are made of :(

And he poops every 2-3 days only
Hm, that sounds like he might be constipated. Have his box habits always been like this? Meaning was he like this on the turkey Alnutrin as well as the Darwin's? Or is this new? (Bone can cause constipation. This is why we had to cut back on it for our cats.)