New puppy not eating

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First is not my puppy. It is my sister’s puppy she got yesterday night. It is Maltese/cocker spaniel & 9 weeks old. He was adopted with his litter mate, so they are both living in the same multi generational house (Nana adopted the other puppy. Neither puppy seems stressed at all!

Today he stopped eating but would eat the rawhide wrapped in chicken jerky thing I ordered & they are going to try chicken baby food tonight. Apparently he also ate some dry cat food.

I know cats not puppies! Please help? I did some googling. I told her if he doesn’t eat for 12 hours to rush him to the vet immediately. I suggested meat baby food or unseasoned cooked lean chicken or beef. I also told her to call the guy they got the puppies from and find out what exactly he feed him.

Is there anything else I should tell her? Any ideas on how to get small picky eater puppies to eat? Tried & proven toppers?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
& the thing/treat he is eating is a rawhide strip chicken wrapped jerky (chicken on the outside.) I know probably zero nutritious but at least some interest in food.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he ate a little and appears to be normal again. No other signs of possible illness. The toys arrived and they helped. So maybe stress? They are going to keep a close eye on him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is this improving today? It certainly could be stress, but with puppies that young, keep an eye on them. Did your sister take your advice about feeding them? They need to eat some kind of real food; use caution with too much rawhide in the diet of small puppies. It can cause problems even in older animals.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One puppy is fine, the other puppy is a picky eater. The puppy is fine.....ish. He will eat if she puts some chicken baby food on his dry food. They have had their first vaccine & will get their next vaccine in a couple of weeks. He is also eating boiled chicken tidbits.

Chip... who is eating again:

7CB3A94D-9320-4479-9248-BA68E60684DE.jpeg
Chip & Buddy:
6E1DBF2B-DA18-40AC-8FF5-F9BC2AD57EF9.jpeg
147B64AD-8605-4C9A-9C67-61D054FC6287.jpeg
675C546F-EA53-4A88-A497-D6B63FF590DD.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
They are adorable. If the second puppy is eating enough, even with encouragement and baby food, you are probably okay until you see how this plays out.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When we rescued our last dog he wouldn't eat either. I finally boiled plain hamburger meat with some white rice and it worked like a charm - got his appetite going and had a full appetite from then on. 👍

The puppies are precious and it's nice to know they will grow up together. 🐶