New Pine Pellet Problem

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been getting Pine Pellets from both Tractor supply and and Petsmarts brand which appeared to be exactly the same.
item: 5212426
ExquisiCat Naturals Pine Cat Litter
1 x $10.99
size: 25 Lb

I liked the idea of the Petsmart brand since it was a 25 pound bag and easier fro me to handle at 79 years old. Two months ago I came down with Covid and it took almost 2 months for me to be cleared of the disease and back to normal In the mean time, my duaghter and son in law ordered a 40 pound bag of pellets ( stock # 5212427)from a different Petsmart Store in Atlanta area. When I got home and looked at what they had got ( same exact brand by the way), the pellets looked and felt totally different. They were much shorter looking like they had almost been chopped in half, a much darker brown color, and then tyended to fall right through the sifting part of my litter boxes.

I quickly called Petsmart and asked them what happened. The rep on the phone who was very nice had no idea and suspected that I had just got a defective bag from the new Petsmart my daughter had ordered from. I decided to order one more 25 pound bag from the Petsmart in Duluth Georgia, where I had previously been buying them, and see if the problem reoccurs with the new bag. They are shipping the pellets to me according to email I got this morning and I will report back what happens with the new bag. Hopefully they will be like what I am used to getting, because these new styles Pellets are unusable.

brabiz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been getting Pine Pellets from both Tractor supply and and Petsmarts brand which appeared to be exactly the same.
item: 5212426
ExquisiCat Naturals Pine Cat Litter
1 x $10.99
size: 25 Lb

I liked the idea of the Petsmart brand since it was a 25 pound bag and easier fro me to handle at 79 years old. Two months ago I came down with Covid and it took almost 2 months for me to be cleared of the disease and back to normal In the mean time, my duaghter and son in law ordered a 40 pound bag of pellets ( stock # 5212427)from a different Petsmart Store in Atlanta area. When I got home and looked at what they had got ( same exact brand by the way), the pellets looked and felt totally different. They were much shorter looking like they had almost been chopped in half, a much darker brown color, and then tyended to fall right through the sifting part of my litter boxes.

I quickly called Petsmart and asked them what happened. The rep on the phone who was very nice had no idea and suspected that I had just got a defective bag from the new Petsmart my daughter had ordered from. I decided to order one more 25 pound bag from the Petsmart in Duluth Georgia, where I had previously been buying them, and see if the problem reoccurs with the new bag. They are shipping the pellets to me according to email I got this morning and I will report back what happens with the new bag. Hopefully they will be like what I am used to getting, because these new styles Pellets are unusable.
I use the pellets from petsmart also in the past. My last best best cat died last year but I am finally getting a little rescue kitten soon. I will not be using the pellets at first but will gradually introduce them. I hope the new bag of pellets are what you have gotten in the past. I do remember getting a bag once that seemed very saw dusty, different than what I was used to but I always have extra bags in my garage to mix in. Love that type of litter and don’t understand why it’s not more popula.

Cats and Bees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have also noticed that and agree that it is frustrating. So I did a Google search and texted my friend who is a logger. He had no ideas and the mfg process uses a die, so they would have to change the die to make a different shape. Or maybe something in the process is wrong and pieces are breaking off? I know this is a simplistic answer but here is a link that describes the process.
Pellets

eta: I have bought from TSC and use Orschlen's currently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I have a feeling that as soon as I get the new 25 pound bag, everything will be back to normal. the pellets will look exactly like they do in all the photos you see of them. Hoping that is what happens.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was right. The stuff labeled Pine COBBLE Cat Litter is different than Pine Pellets, and doesn't work as well. Got a 25 pound bag from Petsmart today of Pine Pellets, and they are the same as before.