New Pics Of My Little Princess!

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am proud to present to you Ophelia, my first Lady. She is really coming out beautiful. She has that perfect straight nose that I need in a female, and her ear/eye set and lynx tips couldn't be more perfect. Good chin for a female too. What say you all? I think she's beautiful, and should balance out Alaska while promoting his strengths quite nicely.

20180602_151629.jpg
20180602_151623.jpg
20180602_151618.jpg
20180602_151450.jpg
20180602_151607.jpg
20180602_151616.jpg
20180602_151415.jpg
20180602_151358.jpg
20180602_151347.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:thud:She has that wild look you're wanting, too.
I know. I crossed my fingers and went off her father's look. His facial features are almost exactly like Alaska's, with less of, if any, nose bump. Plus, he has a very wild ruff and overall look, so I wanted his genes in my female. Here's some photos of him.

pepper profile 1.jpg
pepper profile 2.jpg
pepper profile.jpg
pepper x.jpg
pepper xx.jpg

MistyDawn MistyDawn - This little girl is a winner, hands down.
I wholeheartedly agree. I knew I was gambling when I chose so young, but I had studied pictures of several cats at different ages, and seeing the adult result, to try and develop a working theory (I have a strong science background, so I'm trying to use that to develop my thinking, find patterns, and use them to spot even young kittens with promise) of prediction as to what features in very young babies will develop in what way.

I was just lucky with Alaska. I recognized his promise somewhat young, just because I found him to be very different and beautiful, then consulted the breed standard to be sure. While he isn't without flaw, he has a coherent look, something my mentor has told me is important, that I think could make him a fierce competitor. Even better, as he speeds toward one year, his nose is smoothing out little by little, to perhaps be only a suggestion of a nose bump, which would be better both competitively and genetically. I couldn't afford to just be lucky twice, so I did my homework, developed my eye, and learned. I think it's paid off. This baby girl is exactly what I need to pair with him, and precisely what I had in mind. Wild in look, and without a breed standard flaw. Her chin looks full right now. I am a little worried it won't stay that way, as I've seen queens with much stronger chins, but even if it doesn't, Alaska's chin is almost too much, so I expect we'll get plenty of full-chinned babies.

I can't take my eyes off her, she's absolutely and undeniably gorgeous. :heartshape:
Thank you. I'm very excited. Everyone told me to buy an older female with curved inner ear margins because I didn't know what I was getting here. I had a week to decide. I studied up, like I said above, and decided against what everyone told me, and against my own common sense, just because I saw something in this kitten. I'm really speechless at the result. I got a beautiful and flawless little girl. From what the breeder has said, she's a loving lap cat kind of girl, the most affectionate kitten in a litter of kittens of an affectionate breed. I would normally be skeptical, but she also confessed to me that she's a face nipper (which I totally expected, because I've had enough torbies with my rescue to know that they march to the beat of their own drums, lol), so for her to tell me good, and what some would find bad, but I think will make for some hilarious moments, leads me to think she's telling the truth. I look forward to bonding with her and getting to know her. One reason I love cats so is that their personalities are so distinct. I've never known two cats that had the same heart.

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am proud to present to you Ophelia, my first Lady. She is really coming out beautiful. She has that perfect straight nose that I need in a female, and her ear/eye set and lynx tips couldn't be more perfect. Good chin for a female too. What say you all? I think she's beautiful, and should balance out Alaska while promoting his strengths quite nicely.

View attachment 234965 View attachment 234966 View attachment 234967 View attachment 234968 View attachment 234969 View attachment 234970 View attachment 234971 View attachment 234972 View attachment 234973
Definately a sweet face! I’m happy you trusted your gut instead of going with the crowd on this one. I too saw potential in her photos, more so than the Russian girl. While the Russian girl is regal, I’m thinking that this little one will have the personality of a true lioness. Gentle, but firm and strong. Definately you can tell from her photos and the comments she is the one. Personality is equally as important in my opinion. I believe that because Alaska is a color wildcard due to his masking white, and this torbie girl, you will have a large range or color opportunities.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a small update: She goes home next weekend! Our entire first litter likely is already spoken for, next year! I almost got a deal on a second kitten, the last one she had left. She thought she was a male at first, and had a buyer lined up for a boy. Once they realized she was a she, the buyer opted to wait for a male, so the breeder was left with a girl old enough to go home, with no home to go to. I thought she was quite pretty, and offered to pick her up this weekend with Ophelia, if I could get a discount on her since I was getting a pair.

She said she'd have loved to, but she didn't see my email in time and gave the baby to a relative. She said that since she didn't see my email, I get a super discount on my next purchase. If I buy from her, I need a female, as the planned litters will all be from Pepper, Ophelia's very handsome father. Alaska's breeder is offering me first pick of her next batch, with Alaska's extremely fertile mother (always 5 to 7 babies) as the queen, so I'd need a male if I buy from her. This litter is due soon, so I will probably decide based on if Alaska's mother makes a good black/brown or black/silver tabby boy. I'd love to do both at once, but my husband would not be pleased lol. Since my breeding schedule for females will be twice per year, ages 1-5, I'll have more diverse litters with two males and just one female, as opposed to having four litters with the same two sets of variables with two females, so even though I'd have more litters. I think it's wise to go ahead and get my next male next, don't you? I wish I could get a beautiful black male from Ophelia's breeder, as Pepper makes gorgeous black kittens, but, you can't breed half siblings, obviously lol.

Anyway, am I right in thinking I should pursue another male first? Males have a longer breeding shelf life, and take longer to develop. I will get a solid black male eventually, possibly from CongoCoons or CoonTucky. Alaska's breeder has gotten both to sell breeding rights. She may be able to vouch for me with them so I can also. If not, there's always the Russian market. I know I'll have to go there eventually.

Here's the kitten I was trying to get a deal on.
Look.
At.
That.
Profile!

20180609_211816.jpg
20180609_211902.jpg
20180609_211457.jpg

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s gorgeous . I’m no breeder and don’t really have experience, but I think your thinking is correct as far as keeping the litters produced as diverse and unique as possible. I know that I’m very excited about art city claws new female who will be having babies soon! (Grace). I’m highly considering getting one from her litter. Soon I’ll have 50 cats, living in a mansion, and be a REAL crazy cat lady. Totally not ashamed lol

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She’s gorgeous . I’m no breeder and don’t really have experience, but I think your thinking is correct as far as keeping the litters produced as diverse and unique as possible. I know that I’m very excited about art city claws new female who will be having babies soon! (Grace). I’m highly considering getting one from her litter. Soon I’ll have 50 cats, living in a mansion, and be a REAL crazy cat lady. Totally not ashamed lol
I'm getting a kitten from Grace, when she breeds her to another cattery's male, a stunning beauty, also straight from Russia. I highly recommend ArtCityClaws. That's where Alaska, my white stud, is from, and he grows more majestic by the day.

Last photos of Ophelia before she comes home to us. She's so beautiful! I couldn't be more chuffed. I know for certain I made the correct decision. We can expect black/silvers, black/browns, reds, and torbies out of her, maybe calicos and solid whites too with Alaska's white gene.

opal 11wks2.jpg
opal 11wks3.jpg
opal 11wks1.jpg
opal 11wks5.jpg
opal 11wks4.jpg
opal 11wks.jpg
opal & scrappy.jpg
opal & scrappy1.jpg
opal & scrappy2.jpg
opal & scrappy3.jpg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love the Mainecoon's exotic faces and large size, but not too keen on the long pointed ears. They're awesome docile large cats. They look intimidating but it's quite the opposite.