New Phone Scam Circulating

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got a call from 786-656-0171.

A female automated voice said they charged $399 to my credit card for "Geek Support" renewal for my computer. (I don't have that) Said to call back if I wanted it stopped. I did not call, and don't plan to, but seeing on how we all obviously use our computers here, and some of you may have tech support services, thought I'd put it out there. It's a scam!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have Geek Squad support, but it doesn't cost $399. There's not a year that goes by that I don't use it.

The call you got must be a variation of the Microsoft scam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many scams out there!! The one that sticks out the most is when I had someone call from "the tax collection agency" and that if I did not call them back and arrange to make my payments, they would send the police over to my house and arrest me!! I obviously did not fall for that either, or any that have called but, because I don't use tech support services and I don't know how they work, I just wanted to warn others who may use them.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I get calls from 'Microsoft' constantly, saying they want to give me a refund. :rolleyes3:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably 99% of unsolicited phone calls are scams. I generally don't answer if I don't recognize the number, but at one point I had something listed online so I had to answer all my calls, and that's when I realized that almost all calls are scammers, or at least telemarketers.

If you're ever not quite sure, google the number and the gist of the call. There's usually some information to be found.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep getting automated messages about "4 serious allegations against me" and if I don't call them right away, the "local cops" will be sent. I'll have to put up a pot of coffee for when they get here. :rolleyes2:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have caller ID, and when an unknown number shows up, I click it on then off. That seems to have reduced the number of calls I get a lot.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve definitely been getting more lately. Just now got one that left a VM saying they’re from Verizon and my account has been suspended. :rolleyes2:

I never pick up, either, if I don’t recognize the number.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I keep getting automated messages about "4 serious allegations against me" and if I don't call them right away, the "local cops" will be sent. I'll have to put up a pot of coffee for when they get here. :rolleyes2:
:flail:

And don't forget the doughnuts to go with that coffee.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got tons of spam calls at the last job when I got a new work cell phone and number. I barely had the phone for a few hours before the spam calls started :cringe: It was usually the one that said I would be arrested if I didn't call X number back immediately or my Verizon account would be suspended for so-and-so reason (work cell phone service was not Verizon). Then there were the ones with a woman speaking in Mandarin Chinese :dunno: There were only so many numbers on the dumb flip phone that I could block (20, I think).

Don't forget those "grandparent scams" where someone calls claiming that a grandchild or other loved one is in jail and the only way to get him or her out is to buy thousands of dollars in specific gift cards and to call X number back and give the person the codes from the back of the gift cards. Really, how is a gift card going to get someone out of jail?? :headshake: :nono::bat:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the IRS scam calls a couple of years ago. At the time, I had filed an amended return, so I called the number. As soon as they answered, I knew it was a scam. By the time I got off the phone, they had threatened to come to my house and rape me. I obviously reported the calls to the police. Not because I felt threatened--they were obviously overseas--but to let them know in case someone else had an issue.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have gotten calls from unknown numbers frequently like 4 this morning I was still sleeping and accidentally answered it but I meant to dismiss

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do have Geek Squad but it isn't anywhere near that. I don't pay it every year, I paid extra for multi-year support with my last laptop. They do everything by email not phone.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was an item on the NBC newscast tonight about a scammer in Jamaica who called a couple in the States and said they had $15 million owed to them, but they had to send the scammers $50,000. The couple declined, and then the scammers started threatening them - set their house in fire, break in and kill them both, etc. Only the scammer didn't know the man was retired head of the CIA. He called the FBI, who actually caught the dude, and he's now in jail. Wish that happened to all of them.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually answer the calls just to mess with them. I keep them on the phone just long enough to annoy them. Then I drop the bomb that I know it's a scam. It's a hoot just listening to them fall all over themselves sometimes.
I keep getting a call from someone about paying back my Federal Student Loan (which I don't have), but I keep missing the call. I really want to pick this one up.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I usually answer the calls just to mess with them. I keep them on the phone just long enough to annoy them. Then I drop the bomb that I know it's a scam. It's a hoot just listening to them fall all over themselves sometimes.
I keep getting a call from someone about paying back my Federal Student Loan (which I don't have), but I keep missing the call. I really want to pick this one up.
:lolup: That's what my sister does, she says she loves messing with them.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't usually answer an unknown number, but the other day I did. I am glad I did. It was my granddaughters after school program. She was ill and they couldn't reach her parents. I called and my son picked up. They had gotten the call but it showed as an unknown number so they didn't pick up. Turns out the teacher was using her own cell phone to call - not the school phone. Even though I am on the do not call list (which is a joke!) I get all kinds of junk calls and I am sure some a scams.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get multiple scam calls a week. If one number keeps calling I eventually answer it and have my dog bark at them for as long as I can tolerate. That number usually stops calling after that