New phone - hate spending the money

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
My provider offered the Moto G6 (Motorola) for $80. It has a 5.7 inch screen, 12 MP camera and seems to do all the things I want. It's not a Samsung or an Apple, but it was not over $1000 either.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Thats been one of the hidden bonuses of not having kids in traditional school; there’s a lot less of wanting what friends have! But at 15 that’s normal I guess. I’ve had friends whose kids have fancier phones than they do! And that’s fine for them. I just don’t think it’s likely to be appreciated enough.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My provider offered the Moto G6 (Motorola) for $80. It has a 5.7 inch screen, 12 MP camera and seems to do all the things I want. It's not a Samsung or an Apple, but it was not over $1000 either.
Samsung and Apple are definitely the highest priced phones. I don't know what the highest priced Apple is but the highest priced Samsung is $1,400. Samsung did start another line the A series that is much more reasonably priced. They aren't writing off those of us that aren't able to spend that kind of money on a phone. Samsung needs to keep and grow their cell phone business given how lousy things are going with their appliance business.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom thought she only needed a basic phone, but she very very quickly filled up the 16gb of memory with pictures and downloads. So she got an s21 the same time I did, hopefully it'll take her a while to fill up 128gb, lol.

The new phone is 5G compatible. I don't have 5G at my house but when I'm in Sioux Falls, wow, it's fast!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Samsung Galaxy s7 died earlier this year. I got it new in 2015, so I'd say 6 years for a cell phone that is being constantly used is great.

Verizon had some crazy deal where you could trade in ANY Galaxy phone and the s21 was $200. I was in shock, but they accepted the very broken phone, and now I have a 1k phone for a fraction of the price. The only downside is that I have to pay it off over the course of 2 years and cannot leave Verizon during that time, but oh well.

Husband's mom's ancient iPhone (a 4c) finally bit the dust- it was literally falling apart at the seams. She's had it for almost 11 years. He gave her his old iPhone 8 and got a Google Pixel 4a for $350- he wanted another iPhone, but when he saw the prices for even a refurbished older model, he changed his mind. Pricey, but it's paid for outright and he like it better than his iPhone.
I've been with Verizon forever and like their service. If you want to leave Verizon, just pay off the phone early.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought my Samsung through Verizon, and the guy selling me was very chatty (this was during Covid). He said on their higher priced phones the monthly service was free and that you only had to pay for the phone. I don't know if this is true because I just needed a basic phone and didn't go for the faster ones.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought my Smart Phone about five years ago. I called my cell phone company to tell them some of the features weren't working and they said it was nothing they could fix on their end, to call the warranty company. The warranty company asked if the screen was also cracked, I said yes and they replaced it with a new phone. It pays to have a warranty. The $10 a month that I pay is better than the price of a new phone, and it covers my computer too. I won't be without one!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been with Verizon forever and like their service. If you want to leave Verizon, just pay off the phone early.
That was part of the promotion. You can't leave Verizon during those two years or you pay full price for the phone. Verizon isn't bad, and we get a good discount through my husband's work.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
For anyone who has Xfinity/Comcast their mobile service has a super price, especially for those who don’t use much data. Unlimited talk and text plus 1 gig of data for $15 a month.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was part of the promotion. You can't leave Verizon during those two years or you pay full price for the phone. Verizon isn't bad, and we get a good discount through my husband's work.
Oh. I didn't know they still did that. I like Verizon and also get a good discount.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For anyone who has Xfinity/Comcast their mobile service has a super price, especially for those who don’t use much data. Unlimited talk and text plus 1 gig of data for $15 a month.
Spectrum does that. Their low data plan is $14 a month and their high data plan is $45. They let families mix their plans, someone who uses a lot of data has the higher priced plan and someone who doesn't use much can have the lower priced plan. The data is sharable among family members. I thought about it but I hadn't switched. I started with AT&T years ago when it was still Cingular.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spectrum does that. Their low data plan is $14 a month and their high data plan is $45. They let families mix their plans, someone who uses a lot of data has the higher priced plan and someone who doesn't use much can have the lower priced plan. The data is sharable among family members. I thought about it but I hadn't switched. I started with AT&T years ago when it was still Cingular.

We started with Cingular too. Then AT&T took over. I hated them. I tried to pay off a couple of phones early just so I wouldn't have them on the bill any longer. There was no way to pay them off online. I had to call and who did I end up with? Customer retention because they decided that if someone was paying off a phone it was because they wanted to leave. That wasn't the case at the beginning of the call but it was at the end. I had to explain to them why I was paying the phones off. I was also using their internet at the time because that was what DH had set up. That service was awful too. Every time I called them with an issue they offered to send someone out to check but it would cost me a service fee if the technician decided that the problem was on my end. I switched to Comcast and it
is 100% better. AT&T can kiss every square inch of my backside. I will never use them again. For anything. :eviltongue:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AT&T definitely wants someone to make payments on a phone. When I had to get a new one last summer she just starting setting it up on payments and I said I would just pay for the phone, that threw her for a loop. It was like she didn't know how to do that. It took a while but I paid for the phone. I don't believe I had ever before had problems paying for something.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AT&T definitely wants someone to make payments on a phone. When I had to get a new one last summer she just starting setting it up on payments and I said I would just pay for the phone, that threw her for a loop. It was like she didn't know how to do that. It took a while but I paid for the phone. I don't believe I had ever before had problems paying for something.
Neither have I. It was bizarre. I had to sit there on the phone and explain why I wanted to pay them off. What difference does it make? With Xfinity all you do is log into your account, click on devices and it shows you how much you owe and how many more payments per device. You can just make additional payments or pay them off. So easy.