New Persian Owner...

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree to start with the comb right away. Theo is so good about the comb that all I have to do is hold up the comb & say "Comb?" and he comes right to me. I bathe him once a month as well. It will keep the coat from getting bad snags and matts. One breeder told me that if they are matting, it's a sign that they need a bath. If done monthly (at least) they get used to this as well. I just gave Theo a bath this morning. The comb practically falls right thru the fur after bathing & drying. I use oatmeal shampoo and do him right in my kitchen sink.

Last edited:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In winter, when air is dry, it can be a nightmare to comb due to static. One of the breeders I got a cat from gave me the tip to take a small spritz bottle and put a drop of conditioner in & fill with water. I spritz the coat and comb it through. It stops the static. I comb Theo at least twice a day to stay ahead of matts. He has a HUGE coat for winter. All the attention & combing will build a strong bond as well. Here is my boy, Theodore right after his bath saturday. He is 2 1/2 yr old seal lynx point Himalayan.
DSCN8951a.jpg

DSCN8953.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The black you are seeing is the liner. Completely normal since she appears to be a silver. They have eye liner around their eyes. It should develop around her mouth and she will have black liner across her nose( that will probably only show if you shave her nose a little like the show cats have done). She is sure a cutie! Looks like she has a sparky personality too.
Aww :) the skin around her eyes was still pinkish when I visited her at only 5 weeks old, so it was a surprise to see it had changed when I saw photos 2 weeks later! They grow and change so fast!! I've just looked on your website and your chinchillas are beautiful :)
Can I ask if silver is how you describe my kitten's colour? The best explanation I can find is on this site: What Does "AOV" Mean? - I could be totally wrong but I think she would be described under the AOV 'Smoke Points/Silver Points/Golden Points' category, I guess this would make sense as both parents are shaded and not colourpoint. It's not obvious in the photos but her tail and ears are dark, but she seems to be lacking in colour on her legs and face. Her skin is a mixture of pink and grey(black?) so she can't be a blue colourpoint etc. from what I understand. I think it's obvious she doesn't fit a standard colour but she was sold as a pet so it doesn't matter and she's a little more unique I suppose :) I am secretly hoping her eyes will stay blue though. She had two brothers, both were darker than her with more contrast between ears, tail and rest of the body, and you can see their faces are getting darker. I'm just curious really and think it would be interesting to hear from another breeder. :) I've attached a more recent pic where you can see her tail a bit better.

I agree to start with the comb right away. Theo is so good about the comb that all I have to do is hold up the comb & say "Comb?" and he comes right to me. I bathe him once a month as well. It will keep the coat from getting bad snags and matts. One breeder told me that if they are matting, it's a sign that they need a bath. If done monthly (at least) they get used to this as well. I just gave Theo a bath this morning. The comb practically falls right thru the fur after bathing & drying. I use oatmeal shampoo and do him right in my kitchen sink.
Theo sounds (and looks) like a little angel! :) Thanks for your advice, I haven't heard of oatmeal shampoo before so might take a look at that.

Omg!!! She is just gorgeous! I looooove her! And I agree with everyone I bought this comb like 6 years ago and it's still very good!!! Its awesome and I definitely recommend this better than a slicker brush as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQUSE/?tag=thecatsite
Thank you very much!! I went with this one in the end Mikki Dog, Cat Moulting Comb - Anti Tangle Shedding Comb - Grooming Comb - Matt and Tangle Remover: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies which is very similar to the one you recommended. :)

Attachments

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww :) the skin around her eyes was still pinkish when I visited her at only 5 weeks old, so it was a surprise to see it had changed when I saw photos 2 weeks later! They grow and change so fast!! I've just looked on your website and your chinchillas are beautiful :)
Can I ask if silver is how you describe my kitten's colour? The best explanation I can find is on this site: What Does "AOV" Mean? - I could be totally wrong but I think she would be described under the AOV 'Smoke Points/Silver Points/Golden Points' category, I guess this would make sense as both parents are shaded and not colourpoint. It's not obvious in the photos but her tail and ears are dark, but she seems to be lacking in colour on her legs and face. Her skin is a mixture of pink and grey(black?) so she can't be a blue colourpoint etc. from what I understand. I think it's obvious she doesn't fit a standard colour but she was sold as a pet so it doesn't matter and she's a little more unique I suppose :) I am secretly hoping her eyes will stay blue though. She had two brothers, both were darker than her with more contrast between ears, tail and rest of the body, and you can see their faces are getting darker. I'm just curious really and think it would be interesting to hear from another breeder. :) I've attached a more recent pic where you can see her tail a bit better.
AOV is 'Any Other Variety' it is used to describe colors that are not accepted in the different classes of Persians (in this case). If her parents are silver chances are that she is too. Silver coloring varies widely in kittens. I have seen some that look almost solid gray (silver) but grow up to have a beautiful shaded silver coat. She will have green eyes in all likelihood. If one of her parents had other color eyes she may have something else. I have attached a couple of photos showing how color changes from birth on. The kitten to the far left of the first photo is cat is the adult photo. The adult photo was taken at 1 year old. My silvers are all shaded silvers, not chinchillas. The only difference between the 2 is the amount of tipping (black hair tips) in the coat. Thanks for the compliments on my cats..
20110423_17 (2).JPG
20120401_22 (3).JPG

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
AOV is 'Any Other Variety' it is used to describe colors that are not accepted in the different classes of Persians (in this case). If her parents are silver chances are that she is too. Silver coloring varies widely in kittens. I have seen some that look almost solid gray (silver) but grow up to have a beautiful shaded silver coat. She will have green eyes in all likelihood. If one of her parents had other color eyes she may have something else. I have attached a couple of photos showing how color changes from birth on. The kitten to the far left of the first photo is cat is the adult photo. The adult photo was taken at 1 year old. My silvers are all shaded silvers, not chinchillas. The only difference between the 2 is the amount of tipping (black hair tips) in the coat. Thanks for the compliments on my cats..
View attachment 356587View attachment 356589
Haha, sorry I got mixed up between chinchilla and shaded silver there, I know the technical difference with the amount of tipping/shading on the hair but obviously I need to improve on being able to visually tell the difference between the two! :) Yes, I have seen some photos of silver cats that looked like they almost had a sort of mask and their tails looked darker, I suppose I'll just have to wait and see how she turns out. Her mum was shaded silver with green eyes and dad was blue shaded golden with turquoise eyes. I'm bringing her home tomorrow (excited) so I can share more photos soon!! :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, sorry I got mixed up between chinchilla and shaded silver there, I know the technical difference with the amount of tipping/shading on the hair but obviously I need to improve on being able to visually tell the difference between the two!
I wouldn't worry about it, even among breeders and judges there are disagreements about chinchilla vs shaded. I am looking forward to seeing many photos of your baby. Congratulations!!

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it, even among breeders and judges there are disagreements about chinchilla vs shaded. I am looking forward to seeing many photos of your baby. Congratulations!!
Forgot to update this thread! Here she is now, at 6 months old!

Attachments