New Persian Owner...

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! :)

I appreciate that this has probably been asked before, so please do direct me to a suitable thread if there is one already.

So, me and partner are bringing home a little Persian girl in November. I've had lots of pets before (grandparents had dairy farm, I've had horses, mini shetlands, dogs, all manner of rodents), however I moved out of family home last year so this will be the first time properly 'owning' an animal myself. It is also my partner's first ever pet. I'm no cat expert. My grandma always had plain old Domestic Shorthairs, and when I was 10 my parents (who were never cat people) 'rescued' a little 4 or 5 week old kitten found in bad condition on a friends' farm, who we've had now for about 15 years! However, she's always been an extremely unproblematic cat, and she has the freedom of the outdoors in a very rural area.

Since I now live in a city, I decided on a Persian to keep indoors, and obviously I'm aware they have more needs than some other types. My main concern at the moment is grooming. Not bothered that I have to do it everyday, just want to do it right! I'm thinking of getting a Pecute Slicker brush and a Pecute Dematting Comb (link: Pecute Grooming Dematting Comb Tool Kit - Double Sided Blade Rake Comb Grooming Comb - Removes Loose Undercoat, Knots, Mats and Tangled Hair: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies)

I would really appreciate if someone could let me know if these are suitable, or the best thing to use/tips/routines for their cats. I am going to try get her used to the brush while she's still growing. Also, what's the best shampoo to use?
My partner is working at home for the foreseeable future so he will actually be spending the most time with her. I will be out most of the day. Any tips to help him get used to grooming her would be appreciated.
And any tips in general for keeping a Persian cat for first time owners would be really appreciated, too! We are currently compiling a shopping list.

Photo of Mojo (15 yo rescue cat).
I don't want to use a photo of new kitten without breeder's permission!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs is the best person to advise you on that but what I can tell you is to get her used to being groomed as quickly as possible. I am looking forward to pictures! :cloud9:
Oh, thank you! I'm not sure what your preference is, but she is not totally flat faced, more of a doll face but her parents' faces are definitely flatter than the average cat. There are some very flat faced show Persians in her papers, though I don't have them yet. Breeders say her dad is a blue shaded golden with turquoise eyes, and mum (I think, just from what I know by looking at her) is a silver shaded, with more green colour eyes, as I think she is a bit too grey to be Chinchilla. My little kitten is actually a colourpoint, which really confused me when I saw her parents, but having looked up as much genetic stuff I can find, I suppose both parents are just carriers of CP. Kitten is very white, her tail and ears have shading (I can't tell colour, but it is pale! I wonder if it's tipped/shaded/smoke?), she seems to have a bit of shading around her nose but her breeders think she won't get a mask unlike her two brothers who are both darker. Skin around her eyes and nose is more pink than dark, but I think she had dark patches on her rear paw pads. I wonder if her eyes will stay blue.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs is the best person to advise you on that but what I can tell you is to get her used to being groomed as quickly as possible. I am looking forward to pictures! :cloud9:
:yeah: Yes, hopefully posiepurrs posiepurrs will be able to give her expert advice.

However, If I'm correct I don't think she would recommend a slicker brush/blade for grooming a Persian. I find that the Greyhound Stainless Steel comb which I know she advises works best for my Persian boy. Mine looks similar to this one:
Amazon.com : Master Grooming Tools Fine/Coarse Steel Greyhound Comb : Pet Combs : Pet Supplies

Best of luck! :goodluck: We can't wait for pics.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, thank you! I'm not sure what your preference is, but she is not totally flat faced, more of a doll face but her parents' faces are definitely flatter than the average cat. There are some very flat faced show Persians in her papers, though I don't have them yet. Breeders say her dad is a blue shaded golden with turquoise eyes, and mum (I think, just from what I know by looking at her) is a silver shaded, with more green colour eyes, as I think she is a bit too grey to be Chinchilla. My little kitten is actually a colourpoint, which really confused me when I saw her parents, but having looked up as much genetic stuff I can find, I suppose both parents are just carriers of CP. Kitten is very white, her tail and ears have shading (I can't tell colour, but it is pale! I wonder if it's tipped/shaded/smoke?), she seems to have a bit of shading around her nose but her breeders think she won't get a mask unlike her two brothers who are both darker. Skin around her eyes and nose is more pink than dark, but I think she had dark patches on her rear paw pads. I wonder if her eyes will stay blue.
I have two traditionals as well. Technically, they are DLH because they were rescues. Likely from a backyard breeder but whatever. That's my preference but they are all gorgeous. I use a greyhound comb too but they hate it but they hate everything related to grooming so that's why I told you what I did about getting her used to it ASAP because I got mine as adults and it makes things so much harder.

This is Lilith
1602079188174.png

Her sister Sophie

1602079334464.png

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Most of my experience is with shorthair cats, but I have friends who show longhairs. In general a comb is better for grooming longhairs. I would not use that slicker brush.

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two traditionals as well. Technically, they are DLH because they were rescues. Likely from a backyard breeder but whatever. That's my preference but they are all gorgeous. I use a greyhound comb too but they hate it but they hate everything related to grooming so that's why I told you what I did about getting her used to it ASAP because I got mine as adults and it makes things so much harder.

This is Lilith
View attachment 353815

Her sister Sophie

View attachment 353820
Oh, they are just beautiful. They have such stunning eyes! Love that orangey yellow peering out from the black. And yes, their faces are very similar to those of my kitten's parents.

Yes, I want to have all the grooming stuff ready to get her used to it from a young age. Asking for the best supplies because I don't want to start out with anything painful or uncomfortable that will put her off, but I suppose it will be a bit of trial and error to see what she likes best...

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most of my experience is with shorthair cats, but I have friends who show longhairs. In general a comb is better for grooming longhairs. I would not use that slicker brush.
Thank you! Can I ask why you would not recommend the slicker? Is that particular slicker brush, or slicker brushes in general? I am glad I have asked on here now, as I literally just Googled "persian grooming" or whatever, and at least two sites recommended using a slicker brush!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! Can I ask why you would not recommend the slicker? Is that particular slicker brush, or slicker brushes in general? I am glad I have asked on here now, as I literally just Googled "persian grooming" or whatever, and at least two sites recommended using a slicker brush!
A lot of Persians have the cottony undercoat and brushes don't do well on them. My Sophie has it. Lilith not as much but her hair is much longer and the texture is finer.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A lot of Persians have the cottony undercoat and brushes don't do well on them. My Sophie has it. Lilith not as much but her hair is much longer and the texture is finer.
:yeah: With the fluffy coats a slicker brush or any other kind of brush is likely to just skim over the surface and leave the mats. The comb is better at getting all the way through the fur.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a look at posiepurrs posiepurrs old posts on grooming Persians:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the above post I appear to be a Know it All! :oops: Just kidding. Sorry I haven't jumped in before now, but been kind of busy and have just been skimming the posts to keep up. I don't suggest using a brush because it does not get down to the skin since the coat is so thick. You could end up with a cat who looks perfectly groomed only to have a felted coat underneath. A comb will get down to the skin. Start as soon as you get the kitten and comb everyday and give regular baths. Offer treats, a play session, lovies after you are finished - whatever seems to work. Keeping the kitten bathed regularly (I suggest at the very least, once every 6 weeks or so. It will help with dander (If someone is allergic), help with shedding and will help control knots developing. A clean coat will not tangle and knot as fast as a dirty one. When I was showing, my cats got bathed more often (once-twice a week) but life has interfered so I don't have the time any longer. Any gentle CAT SAFE shampoo will do. Do not use anything herbal or with Tea Tree oil as they can be toxic. With my very first show cat I started with baby shampoo . I know some disagree with me about bathing, but until you try to comb a dirty Persian whose coat is a matted mess, I stand by regular bathing. I am looking forward to seeing your baby when you can post photos. Persians are a lot of work, but worth every minute spent doing it!

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From the above post I appear to be a Know it All! :oops: Just kidding. Sorry I haven't jumped in before now, but been kind of busy and have just been skimming the posts to keep up. I don't suggest using a brush because it does not get down to the skin since the coat is so thick. You could end up with a cat who looks perfectly groomed only to have a felted coat underneath. A comb will get down to the skin. Start as soon as you get the kitten and comb everyday and give regular baths. Offer treats, a play session, lovies after you are finished - whatever seems to work. Keeping the kitten bathed regularly (I suggest at the very least, once every 6 weeks or so. It will help with dander (If someone is allergic), help with shedding and will help control knots developing. A clean coat will not tangle and knot as fast as a dirty one. When I was showing, my cats got bathed more often (once-twice a week) but life has interfered so I don't have the time any longer. Any gentle CAT SAFE shampoo will do. Do not use anything herbal or with Tea Tree oil as they can be toxic. With my very first show cat I started with baby shampoo . I know some disagree with me about bathing, but until you try to comb a dirty Persian whose coat is a matted mess, I stand by regular bathing. I am looking forward to seeing your baby when you can post photos. Persians are a lot of work, but worth every minute spent doing it!
Thank you for all the advice (and to everyone else that helped too); wasn't expecting so many replies!

I will try and find a decent comb for long hair, then. What about clipping nails and brushing teeth? Never did that with my other cat, sounds a little tricky! :)

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I've had some new photos of the little girl sent to me, here she is at 7 weeks old. :)
I wasn't expecting her to get the black around the eyes, I thought it would stay a pinkish colour! As you can see, she is a very pale looking colourpoint. Neither parent was colourpoint, mum was silver shaded and dad blue shaded golden.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She is positively precious! :heartshape: Best of luck, please be sure to keep us posted with more pics as she grows up.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. That little face. She is soooo cute and she seems to be lucky to have a nice caring owner who will spend the time to groom all that cottony floof.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The black you are seeing is the liner. Completely normal since she appears to be a silver. They have eye liner around their eyes. It should develop around her mouth and she will have black liner across her nose( that will probably only show if you shave her nose a little like the show cats have done). She is sure a cutie! Looks like she has a sparky personality too.