New Persian Owner From California

olichkaskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! My name is Olga im from Sacramento CA and i just got an adorable persian baby named Honey Bee.
I have have an exotic shorthair named coco but Im new to persians and all that hair!
She is the first pedigreed CFA cat i have owned and I am planning to show her in premiere localy in Cali to try out the show experienceand see if its something i want to comit to, and maybe breed in the future.

so i will have lots of questions and would welcome your answers
20190721_181104.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and Congratulations on your new baby.

How old is she? When will you be able to start showing her? When you enter her in a show be sure to check the box for "new exhibitor". The show manager can bench you next to someone who can help guide you through the whole show process.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great, I hope you have a wonderful time showing Honey Bee! How old is she, and has she been shown before, as a kitten or cat?

Grooming a show Persian is complicated. Do you have a local Persian exhibitor mentor who can help you learn to groom Honey Bee, keep her in show condition and groom her for the shows? I have never shown a Persian but posiepurrs posiepurrs may be able to give you some advice.

There are not many CFA shows in California in the summer. In Sacramento, you are technically in CFA's Northwest Region (Region 2), but you are also close to CFA's Southwest Region (Region 5). Here are the show calendars:
CFA Northwest (Region 2): CFA Northwest Region - Show Calendar
CFA Southwest (Region 5): Show Schedule

The next CFA show in CA is in Glendale on August 24. Here is the exhibitor flyer:
https://storage.googleapis.com/wzukusers/user-27506423/documents/5d24e4d9ae81b94IWxe5/Royal Jewels 2019.pdf

So, you will have some time to work on your grooming routine before the next show :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olichkaskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the compliments and advice i will check out the links.
She is 7 months old, and she has never been shown as far as i know. Her breeder said she has a crooked nose and didnt want her bred. I will be able to show her as soon as i get her spayed and registered. The breeder offered to help me start grooming and showing. And this forum also has tons of info, I learn something new everyday.

Im planning to go to the october 26th show in pleasanton CA , but i dont know if i will be ready to enter by then. I feel so intimidated by the whole process. I have so much to learn.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her breeder said she has a crooked nose
I can't tell from the photo.
I feel so intimidated by the whole process. I have so much to learn.
Remember we all have to start somewhere. Just go and have fun. Watch and learn while you are there. I was so green at my first show I took my girl out of the ring before her number was put down! That is a major NO-NO!! I didn't know what all the ribbons were either. I had to call her breeder to find out. It is good that the breeder is going to help you. Will she be at the show too?

olichkaskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes you are right everyone has to start somewhere. I hope i dont mess up too bad along the way lol.
She wont be at the next show that i will go to, but i dont think i will enter. I still need to practice grooming her and getting her used to being handled.
She doesnt like to be carried on the forearm like i see people carrying show persians. She starts getting nervous and tries to grab stuff and turn around and put her paws on my chest/shoulder. Also when i take her out of the carrier backwards she tries to grab on with her paws. Im guessing its not a good thing when they will try to take her out of the cage and she will be grabbing the wire and holding on. Is there a way to train her not to do that?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some that do not like to be carried on the forearm. I just carry them the way they are comfortable and smooth the coat if needed, as I put them in the ring. That is better than stressing them or worse - having them freak and get away from you. My boy, Jack would not ride to the ring like he is supposed to - he snuggled his head into my chest. Didn't seem to hurt him in the ring - he, so far is my most winning cat. If you can get a small dog crate, practice with her every day, going in and out of the crate the way the judges do it. I am actually working with my current show cat (a whole male, Sterling) because he gets testy with the judges when they do the backwards take out. Let her know there is nothing to fear. Give her a small treat each time (I use baby food).

olichkaskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering why people carried cats like that. I guess its not to mess with coat not just to look cool while they " ride to the ring" lol i like that expresion.
Thanks for the tip,I will start practicing with her. Its good to get her used to the carrier so she feels relaxed in it, maybe i will feed her in it. She is very loving but a bit timid, i need to work on her social skills. Any tips ?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take her anyplace you can. Get her used to loud noises and strange smells. If you have a friend she isn’t used to, try having them take her from the crate/carrier the way a judge does after she gets comfortable with you doing it. Handle her like a judge does too- check the nose break( some cats find this intimidating), feel the body, check the top head etc. Watch some videos on cat shows online to get an idea of Persian judging. Just remember, make it fun for her, so she looks forward to it. Treats and play help as well as sweet talking and petting.

olichkaskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tips! Luckily she likes getting touched and pet on the face/nosebridge , everywhere really, she even likes bellyrubs.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Im planning to go to the october 26th show in pleasanton CA , but i dont know if i will be ready to enter by then. I feel so intimidated by the whole process. I have so much to learn.
If you haven't done it already you should get her registered soon. CFA has been really slow getting registrations done since they got behind during the annual meeting. Some people have been complaining it's taking several weeks after applying to get their registration.

Hopefully they've caught up by now but you still don't want to wait until the last minute.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you still thinking about attending the Pleasanton show? If you haven't entered yet, this is just a reminder that the show closes tonight :)
If you do enter this show, tell the entry clerk you are new to showing, and would like to be benched near someone who can help you.