New owner of a rescue cat

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.I'm Patrick and this is Chloe.

I got her from the local Animal Welfare Society where I live. I love her to death but she's her own free spirit. I'm learning her moods and what she wants when she starts doing nutty things. Unfortunately she's declawed so I'm still trying to find things to keep her entertained. My 2 for $5 laser pointers never fail though.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Patrick and on Chloe’s behalf, thanks for the rescue. She sounds like She is very well socialized and doing wonderfully. Best way to figure out what entertains her is to give her a variety of toys. They don’t need to be expensive. Some cats love a cardboard box or a sheet of tissue paper and will play with them for hours. Or balls of any kind including golf balls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried little clicky mice toys, hung a practice golf ball from a doorway, got some wands with fabric or feather/toy/bell, tried a box full of biodegradable packing peanuts. She likes to "scratch" at one of my tables so I bought her a scratching post. She's not really interested in any of them.

There's a little shelf next to my desk where I sit. She jumps up on it and likes to knock my pen off my desk, so I let her. She will at some point start getting really hyper jumping onto this shelf and clawing at the column. Every time I go to pet her she mees and turns away and jumps off. I let her do this for a while and then ask her if she want's to play. She recognises the laser pointer and immediately looks down at the floor. I can have running around back and forth for a good 15 mins before she decides to lie down staring at the dot on the wall.I figure she gets some good exercise as I have her jumping over boxes and running back and forth the full length of the house.

The only other thing I can't figure out is some sort of treat for her. I got a box of catnip temptation treats and she has no interest. I put a small amount of chicken in her food bowl and nada. She eats all her dry kibble though as it's the same as what she had at the shelter.

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll give that a whirl.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some loose toys that don’t make noise. Cat springs, mouses, Mylar krinkle balls and glitter puff balls are all high on cats favorites. Usually pet stores have some bins where you can buy a single toy at cheap prices so this is a great way to try a few out. If she is still adjusting, it may take a few months before she starts playing much on her own.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
PreciousPetsCatsHello.gif
Patrick and Chloe, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
5eef284e192de88a7653ef4d4028733f.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for adopting Chloe from the shelter and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life :clapcat:
She's beautiful gal! :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll have a look at the local pet store

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome.

Chole is starting to get into her wound up jumping up and down thing so I'll be breaking out the laser shortly

View attachment 376258 Patrick and Chloe, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm View attachment 376259 to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for adopting Chloe from the shelter and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life :clapcat:
She's beautiful gal! :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on being a new cat dad. :petcat: Chloe is a beauty. :catlove:

Sad though that her former owners went through the process of having her declawed, then still decided to, or had to, give her up. :(
She's lucky she's with you now, where she has someone that loves her. :hearthrob:

About toys for her, here's a very short older thread that has a couple suggestions:
Best Toys For Our New Adult Front-declawed Cat?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and Chloe! What a beauty she is! And thank you for taking on a declawed cat. They can have some issues, sometimes. But I'm sure you are ready to give her a wonderful life!

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Picking up some crinkle balls and salmon treats tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice and welcomes!

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all for the replies.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't actually know what is actually involved when declawing a cat. Now that I know, I'm very active supporting petitions to stop it.