New oven burn safe for cats?

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I just got a new oven and pamphlet says the "new oven burn" (you're supposed to run a new oven at high temps for an hour, 3 or more times to burn off oil/ chemicals from stove elements) is very toxic/even deadly to birds.

I know cats are different, but I'm really worried about doing this since I live in a small apartment and my cat is indoors.
I'll open windows/run fans, of course, but my question is:
Has anyone's indoor cat gotten Ill because of this? Or have you gotten I'll? I may be able to take her to another house, but she's an EXTREME Siamese Drama Queen, and even being in a carrier is so stressful for her, I'm not sure which would be worse. (And I mean REALLY stressful..you've never heard anything like it. Lol).

Anyone have experience with this "New oven burn"?

Thank you 😊

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have, and with turning on a new heating system for the first time (the installer told me not to do it on my own and to let him come back when winter rolled around). To be honest, the heating system amounted to almost nothing. The "new oven burn" depends. It could be smoky/smelly, more than the heater. Can you call the manufacturer? They may err on the side of caution and tell you to evac the cat just because they don't want trouble. If you don't want to move her, possibly being ready to move her if it is bad could be a back up plan because then you will know for sure how bad it is. I am in a house where the kitchen can be entirely closed off from the rest of the house and there is space to relocate any indoor animal to another part of the house but I don't know about being very close to the new oven if that is what describes the floor plan of the apartment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Yes, unfortunately my only bedroom is small/ shares the wall with the oven in kitchen, a few feet from kitchen That is a good idea about getting her ready just in case. I'll guess I'll have to hear her scream royal bloody murder and stress her little system out while in the carrier, poor little doll. Or, just maybe have carrier out and make a quick subtle grab if things get bad. I do have 3 air cleaners so I'll run them too.
I wish they'd make these ovens differently 🙄. Thanks for your help😻

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
In addition, I would recommend opening all the windows to air the apartment out.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, oven has had the "new burn", and we live to tell the Tail!! Fortunately my gas man who installed it said it didn't smoke like many new ovens he's seen. It did get bad/fumy odor, but because I ran 5 fans/all open windows, it was not too bad. Ran it 2 twice (1 1/2 hr's total) and the worst is over .
"Baby" was locked in room with Windows open , fan and two air cleaners going and I could barely smell a hint in the room. Thanks, you guys for helping 2 worry warts😍.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohh thank you Fionasmom🥰