New Orijen Formula, Too Much Fish?

manx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those living in the US, Orijen has completed it's switch to their Kentucky "kitchen" and has for some reason chosen to change their formula. US residents will now be unable to get the Canadian "old"  recipe. 

The US version is not only slightly lower in protein, but there is a great increase in fish. Where before there was only salmon, herring, and walleye, the US version now has flounder, mackerel, herring, and less poultry ingredients. Unfortunately, these new fish ingredients are also much higher on the list than previously. Flounder is now the third ingredient. I couldn't find the ingredient list anywhere online but the new bags are already out. 

So my question is: does the US version of the Orijen Cat and Kitten contain too much fish? Should I switch to another food with much less fish?

Some brands I saw that I thought about switching to:

Acana Meadowlands or Grasslands

Open Farms Turkey and Chicken Recipe

Rawz Chicken and Turkey Recipe

Merrick Purrfect Bistro Chicken

Performatrin Ultra Grain Free Turkey, Duck, and Salmon

Last edited:

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had reservations about Orijen even before the increase in fish. I felt it already had too much fish in it. Many cats are fine with fish, but I found that our cat was scratching her neck a lot and oddly coughing (? or making weird gagging noises like she's trying to clear her throat) after the few times that we fed her a sample of Orijen Regional Red and Honest Kitchen's pure fish treats. 

I do realize that not all fish and brands are the same, and there are many quality fish products out there. Many cats do great with fish, but with so many other meats to choose from, there's really no reason to give our cat any fish if there's even a chance that she'll have adverse reactions to it.

We're really liking Ziwipeak air-dried venison. Our cat loves it. But then again, she loves all food. 

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently switched my cats from Orijen to Nature's Variety Instinct Ultimate Protein for Cats.  Archie and Lucy enjoyed Orijen, but I live in a smallish town with only one speciality pet store.  They had difficulty reliably maintaining stock of Orijen.  Out of frustration, I switched.  Other than salmon oil (which is pretty far down on the list), I don't think that the Chicken or Duck formulations of Instinct include fish.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.

FWIW: I tried the other variations of Nature's Variety Instinct - regular and raw boost.  My cats would not touch either of them.  

Last edited:

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Manx,
Do you have the ingredients list from the new Orijen?

sungjae pae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard that orijen is made of too much fish, but orijen is still best dry cat food 

I discussed a lot about dry food when I was in South korea 

my country's people researched a lot about dry food 

eventually, orijen is still best because it is organic and from canada 

my country people do not like isa dry food such as evo, purina, royal cannin

because they are made of ingredient from china 

we do not trust china stuff. 

sorry my english is not good 

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I've heard that orijen is made of too much fish, but orijen is still best dry cat food 

I discussed a lot about dry food when I was in South korea 

my country's people researched a lot about dry food 

eventually, orijen is still best because it is organic and from canada 

my country people do not like isa dry food such as evo, purina, royal cannin

because they are made of ingredient from china 

we do not trust china stuff. 

sorry my english is not good
I believe Orijen moved from Canada to Kentucky (that's USA). It is good food for dry food, but some cats cannot tolerate fish. My cat scratches her neck so much and makes hacking noises after eating fish. I'm also a big believer that cats should eat mostly wet food or raw with the proper supplements. Even the best dry food is not that great compared to wet food that properly hydrates cats.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the process of rotating Orijen out of all my cats diet completely. Does it have too much fish to feed exclusively? definitely. As a snack it's probably fine. I'm using Ziwipeak and dry freeze dried raw to replace my cats kibble snack needs. Much better for them. 

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'm in the process of rotating Orijen out of all my cats diet completely. Does it have too much fish to feed exclusively? definitely. As a snack it's probably fine. I'm using Ziwipeak and dry freeze dried raw to replace my cats kibble snack needs. Much better for them. 
Yes, we love Ziwipeak's air-dried food! A tablespoon a day as a snack or treat. Plus the cats just chew them better too. Ours used to just swallow Orijen's tiny kibbles without any chewing. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently bought a 5 pound bag of Orijen that was made in Alberta. It's going to last us a while as the cats don't eat it all the time. It's an occasional topper or snack. I may switch when it runs out though. I have to see what I can find. I don't think that the Nature's Variety Ultimate Protein is much better than the standard chicken dry food.

jessie gray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat refused to eat Orijen dry cat food.  It might be because of the fish in it, she doesn't like canned or freeze dried food with lots of fish in it as well.

Jessie

sungjae pae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
honestly I did not see orijen ragional red ingredient but many korean people said there is no fish after I heard that i just posted i am really sorry i won't trust korean anymore they got wrong information on korea website

Last edited:

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

<snip>I don't think that the Nature's Variety Ultimate Protein is much better than the standard chicken dry food.
What I've found is that the various Nature's Variety formulations appeal to different cats.  My cats won't touch the regular or raw boost, but devour the Ultimate Protein.  A friend of mine feeds her cats the regular; they eat it up.  I wish I could entice my kitties to like the regular since it's considerably less expensive.  

I've noticed that since switching to Ultimate Protein (about 4 months now), Archie and Lucy poop less than when they were on Blue Buffalo Wild or Orijen Red.  While I'm not 100% certain, I suspect their bodies process the NV better than the other kibble. That's just a guess though.

For anyone considering NV, many stores carry inexpensive trial sizes.  The small bags have a discount coupon for the larger size.

Also kinda funny, Lucy likes the Nature's Variety freeze dried toppers on her food.  Archie won't go near the kibble if I put the toppers in.  But as a treat from my hand, that's a different story - he gobbles them right up.

Last edited:

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

What I've found is that the various Nature's Variety formulations appeal to different cats.  My cats won't touch the regular or raw boost, but devour the Ultimate Protein.  A friend of mine feeds her cats the regular; they eat it up.  I wish I could entice my kitties to like the regular since it's considerably less expensive.  

I've noticed that since switching to Ultimate Protein (about 4 months now), Archie and Lucy poop less than when they were on Blue Buffalo Wild or Orijen Red.  While I'm not 100% certain, I suspect their bodies process the NV better than the other kibble. That's just a guess though.

For anyone considering NV, many stores carry inexpensive trial sizes.  The small bags have a discount coupon for the larger size.

Also kinda funny, Lucy likes the Nature's Variety freeze dried toppers on her food.  Archie won't go near the kibble if I put the toppers in.  But as a treat from my hand, that's a different story - he gobbles them right up.
Noticed something similar, our cats don't like regular or raw boost, but scarf Ultimate Protein. They've had much fewer accidents (almost none) compared to when they were on Orijen (although there may be other factors causing this difference too).

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

For those living in the US, Orijen has completed it's switch to their Kentucky "kitchen" and has for some reason chosen to change their formula. US residents will now be unable to get the Canadian "old"  recipe. 

The US version is not only slightly lower in protein, but there is a great increase in fish. Where before there was only salmon, herring, and walleye, the US version now has flounder, mackerel, herring, and less poultry ingredients. Unfortunately, these new fish ingredients are also much higher on the list than previously. Flounder is now the third ingredient. I couldn't find the ingredient list anywhere online but the new bags are already out. 

So my question is: does the US version of the Orijen Cat and Kitten contain too much fish? Should I switch to another food with much less fish?

Some brands I saw that I thought about switching to:

Acana Meadowlands or Grasslands

Open Farms Turkey and Chicken Recipe

Rawz Chicken and Turkey Recipe

Merrick Purrfect Bistro Chicken

Performatrin Ultra Grain Free Turkey, Duck, and Salmon
I may be missing something and am going to call them but I cannot find anything on their website about a manufacturing change. This is still in the FAQ's

QUALITY ASSURANCE 
Q. MANY PET FOODS ARE MADE BY FACTORIES NOT OWNED OR CONTROLLED BY THE BRAND. WHAT ABOUT ORIJEN?

We own and operate our award-winning kitchens in Morinville, Alberta, where we make ORIJEN and ACANA pet foods exclusively. Our Freeze Dried ORIJEN Foods and Treats are produced exclusively in our new kitchen in Oakville, Ontario. It’s simple – we don’t allow our foods to be made anywhere else, and we don’t make any other foods.

I will let everyone know what they say after I call them. I'd rather not switch if I don't have to 

ETA- I called them and they are busy. They wanted me to leave a message for a call back within 24 hours. I will just try again 

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I really wish we could find the truth about Orijin and the manufacturing in Kentucky. My coworker feeds his dog this-I told him last week about this new information. I told him to ask the clerk at the pet store to see if its really from Canada or gimmick advertising.

Personally I found this food way too rich for my girls. One is a puker. She puked it often-the fish and chicken dry kibble. Now if I mixed it with something she did ok but occasionally hacked it back up. I found a dif food with potato and pea=this seems to agree with her system better-no more puking.

I think each kitty is different. I have 3. Each one used to get their own food until they all started eating out of each others dish. Now I buy one type. I want to try that other one mentioned above. They also love fancy feast beef flavor then the turkey giblets one. We have tried a can of every fancy type of food in pets life in portmouth nh. I spent at least $55 on those. only a few they actually ate half of it. most of it was sniffed and walked away. I wish the better brands stopped with chunks and pieces. They only like it mashed into a slurry. So for now its fancy feast and tractor supply kibble. they eat less kibble if I put canned out twice a day. I keep forgetting to put it down at night. They have plenty to eat between Jon giving them treats all the time. I miss the old days where they never put cornmeal in pet food. Its been over 25 years. and now we have vitamins from china.

I have decided to try raw food in the next few months. less additives. But if they don't eat it then what?! CATS!

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, there's quite a difference between that and the bag I have. I won't be feeding the new US formula either. The fish and beans concern me. The greens crack me up: kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, AND turnip greens. It makes me imagine a conversation like this:

Boss in Canada: "And throw in some greens! Greens are always healthy!"
Guy in Kentucky; "What kind of greens?"
Boss in Canada: "I don't know. What kind do you have down there? Just throw in all of them!"

(I live in Texas and am no stranger to the many varieties of Southern greens.)

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I picked up the new USA Cat and Kitten today. My cat would not touch it. This is after eating Orijen and Acana daily the last two years. The kibble is smaller and crumbles. I grabbed a handful right off the top of the bag and it was 50% crumbs! The only one she will eat is the Acana Wild Atlantic and she is not too enthused about it....and neither am I. She barfs on all other new Acana. I did complain to Champion and they said I can feed fish daily because they test for safe phosphorous levels and mercury. I laughed and said they were nuts and no longer trustworthy and I am changing brands completely. They built that Kentucky plant and banned their Canadian made from the USA to grab a huge part of the growing USA pet consumer market. I will not be helping them reach that goal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the input. Looks like I need to find a new dry food for my cat to snack on.

He gets maybe two handfuls of kibble a day between his wet food meals. And not full handfuls, either.

I was thinking about maybe the Acana Grasslands or Meadowlands, since he seems to like those. Or are those too low in protein?

I did buy a sample of the Nature's Variety Ultimate Protein Chicken and he ate it, but I am unsure if it's a good food or not.

I am considering also the Performatrin Ultra Grain Free (turkey, duck, and salmon)

Thought about ZiwiPeak but I can't find it anywhere. It also seems to be more of a jerky consistency and my cat will not touch jerky/soft treats :/

As much as I would love to do raw, he won't touch it. Even if i managed to transition him over, I have a small freezer with barely enough room for a pizza. No way I would be allowed to store bags of raw cat food in there. Freeze dried is also an option but he won't touch the stuff if it's been rehydrated with water. Either way, he's not technically my cat and I was lucky enough to get him on a mostly wet diet and off the nasty Royal Canin prescription food. If I ever get a cat myself, it will most likely be on raw.

Anyway, I would appreciate some input on the dry food options.