New nursing momma with 4 babes

Safiera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1yr old just had kittens 5 days ago. I put her on fancy feast wet kitten food as suggested to make sure she and babies are getting what they need. Now she has developed grey clay like diarrhea. ( she also chooses to go in my bathtub now 😣) Please help me. How do I help Her? Also she only drinks if I put water in her food. She has stopped drinking water by itself? Have I done something bad?
20210801_014500.jpg

CactusWithWings

Mama and 2 Fur Babies
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, do you know if she passed all of the kittens and all of the placentas? If she didn't, then she may be having a reaction to the foreign (probably necrotic tissue at this point if it's been 5 days) tissues that remain in her womb. I'm not an expert, but that's my best guess. It would probably be best, if you are able, to take her to a vet just in case.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes hormonal changes cause GI issues and thus - diarrhea - in new moms.

I’m not sure I would do much right now except watch her. I think her system should calm down soon.

Perhaps sprinkle probiotic powder into her wet food for her gut, and boil chicken and offer it to her. Also, a teaspoon of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) can help firm up loose stools.

Keep us posted! Safiera Safiera

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, aside of probiotic. If she has much diarrhea, she will need electrolytes, ie salts. The easiest is to sprinkle a little into her food. Or have some pedialyte with her wet food to water it down with.
I suppose she is used to wet food. If so, its seldom she drinks free water. She usually gets what fluids she needs from the wet food.
So just to go along with it; adding some more water to this food.

Safiera Safiera