New Mommy - Weaning - Litter Training

cubmom8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My Momma cat (MeowMeow-26 months) had her first baby 6 weeks and 4 days ago. I was pleasantly surprised when she only had one adorable ball of fur! She has been an awesome Mom so far and I love watching them together. We will be keeping the kitten and I already have plans on having them both fixed ASAP so we don't have any more accidents.
The reason I have come here and am posting though has to do with both weaning and litter training. When she got pregnant I did more research and studying then I ever did for school. LOL I am a little worried though and can't seem to find the answers I am looking for.
As I stated Friedo (the kitten) is 6 weeks and 4 days. I have two litter boxes set up side by side. One of them a bit smaller and easier to get in and out of. On the other side of the room I have 2 water bowls, and 3 food dishes. In one dish I put the kitten formula, the next the formula mixed with wet food, and in the third dry food. I make sure they are full and fresh all day. I have been providing everything to this extent since he turned 4 weeks. I have also in the last week started putting him into the room separated from MeowMeow for 2-3 hours a day. He has yet to even attempt to try and even lap the formula. MeowMeow is still feeding him herself. She often eats all the formula herself as soon as I put it down. This is why I also offer the wet food with the formula in hopes she will leave the formula alone. She also has not attempted to show him the litter box. He has not gone in it at all. I see her still cleaning him frequently. I am wondering if all of this is normal or at this age should he be starting to learn/do these things? They are both healthy and active. If he should be doing these things what do you think I should do to encourage his learning? I have let him lick formula off my finger and placed him in the litter already. Sorry it's so long and thanks in advance for any help!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello all,

My Momma cat (MeowMeow-26 months) had her first baby 6 weeks and 4 days ago. I was pleasantly surprised when she only had one adorable ball of fur! She has been an awesome Mom so far and I love watching them together. We will be keeping the kitten and I already have plans on having them both fixed ASAP so we don't have any more accidents.
The reason I have come here and am posting though has to do with both weaning and litter training. When she got pregnant I did more research and studying then I ever did for school. LOL I am a little worried though and can't seem to find the answers I am looking for.
As I stated Friedo (the kitten) is 6 weeks and 4 days. I have two litter boxes set up side by side. One of them a bit smaller and easier to get in and out of. On the other side of the room I have 2 water bowls, and 3 food dishes. In one dish I put the kitten formula, the next the formula mixed with wet food, and in the third dry food. I make sure they are full and fresh all day. I have been providing everything to this extent since he turned 4 weeks. I have also in the last week started putting him into the room separated from MeowMeow for 2-3 hours a day. He has yet to even attempt to try and even lap the formula. MeowMeow is still feeding him herself. She often eats all the formula herself as soon as I put it down. This is why I also offer the wet food with the formula in hopes she will leave the formula alone. She also has not attempted to show him the litter box. He has not gone in it at all. I see her still cleaning him frequently. I am wondering if all of this is normal or at this age should he be starting to learn/do these things? They are both healthy and active. If he should be doing these things what do you think I should do to encourage his learning? I have let him lick formula off my finger and placed him in the litter already. Sorry it's so long and thanks in advance for any help!
I think him being alone kitten makes the momma spoil him somewhat.  Also, they dont learn just from momma, they also learn from each other.  In al litter there is always one more daring, more curious, or just - needy to relieve himself asap...   and the others look see and follow example...  :)

When he begin to eat more real food, his poo with change, and momma will not want to eat it up anymore.

So for now, we KNOW he hardly eats anything.

Do as youdo with the formula, but have some wet cat food on your fingers, and let him lick this off.

In Sweden we often use minced meat for kittens first food. (NOT raw pork).

Be sure his litter pan is so shallow he can easily climb in and out.  Non clumping litter - as kitten taste everything, and you dont  want clumping litter inside hist intestines

The same with this food - shallow plates.  In the beginnin he may even wade through it...

Good luck!

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think at this point you just need to keep offering wet food. Something nice and smelly to get his attention, my kittens first went for fancy feast ocean whitefish. We tried several and that did the trick and now they'll eat other kinds. Keep mom away and give him time to eat. Once he begins eating mom won't keep cleaning him up and the litter box will become more of a priority for him. Does he also have dry food down at all times?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cubmom8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I have a dish of wet and a dish of dry at all times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cubmom8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YAHOO! We have chowed down on wet kitten food!!! :clap: Thank you both for the advice. I used an idea from both of you. I had put the formula on his mouth before from my finger but had never waited to see if he would lick the rest off my finger. I had always immediately placed him next to the food. This time i let him lick my finger clean and then put him next to the food and it worked!!! I also switched to Fancy Feast to see if he would take to it. He did!!! Thanks guys :rbheart: