Kitten help 🐱🥰

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose she eliminated before the delivery, as they usually do. And possibly did pee during the delivery... And she probably ate all the placentas, they usually do. So many new moms arent hungry a while afterwards. Although others do eat extra....
And she is extra caretaking NOW, as its extra critical hours. Good momma!

Still, good you are working on it. Be near her adding protection, keep the dear hubby away as she feels he may be a threat, etc..
Wash your hands between you touch hubby and her (for now).....
You may try to handfeed her, and let her lick fluid from your fingers.

Goats milk is a good nourishing fluid for moms, and if necessary, for kittens too. You can have it in coffe you too you humans. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stefan is correct. New moms frequently do not eat for a day or so after delivery because they have eaten the placentas, and often they do not want to stop nursing. She is also resting. She will eat when she gets hungry!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello i was just wondering when do i need to start litter box training? Also when to begin the transition to kitten food? First time with grankittens here!
Also articles or advice about weaning & all that would be great! Thanks!!

P.s. kittens are 3 weeks old today

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These may be helpful when the time comes :)

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have 8 week old kittens. They were born inside & raised inside. They have been handled by me & my kids since they were a couple weeks old. My kids love playing with them. But my 2 boys seem to want to stay away from people. Like they run from us and when i hold them their ears are back and i can just tell they are very uncomfortable. They stay under and behind things and come out to play when we are not around. I need to rehome them but i doubt anyone will want adopt an antisocial cat. Anything i can do?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Are they still with mama?
How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother?

Are your kids possibly too rough?
This quote is from a TCS article about handling feral cats, and like the articles below that are written with cats in mind, there are things that are valid for kittens;
Sit on the floor and take out some treats and place them a good distance around you. Bring a book and start reading to her out loud so she can get used to your calm, serene voice. Do this every day at scheduled times. If she comes out do not look at her full in the face, because this can be considered a challenge. Just try to ignore her.

As the days go on, use a feather toy to engage her in play.Another thing to do is to take an old tee shirt of yours and put it on and do a workout to get it good and sweaty. Once it is wringing wet with your sweat, take it into the room and put her feed bowl on top of it. When she comes to eat she will be surrounded by your smell and she will associate your smell with pleasant things.

“kittens To Good Homes” – How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

Do Cats Like To Be Petted?

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Are they still with mama?
Yes.. they are. But only the boys nurse. The girl has stoped. I am waiting until they are completely weaned. They do eat kitten food, drink water & use litter box already.
As for the kids... they're not rough. They just pet them & cuddle them..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They need to stay with mom for at least 12 weeks. It sounds like they need a little more time. Some cats can also be very shy. Do you plan to rehome the males as a pair?

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They need to stay with mom for at least 12 weeks. It sounds like they need a little more time. Some cats can also be very shy. Do you plan to rehome the males as a pair?
I would like to but i cant even find anyone who wants 1 cat... im trying to find homes for when they are ready... but its turning out to be difficult. I would just keep them but i dont have the extra money to fix them all 😥

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is your city and state and I’ll check for a low-cost spay and neuter clinic in your area.

Sometimes (usually summer) they offer specials. For instance, in my county they get a PetSmart grant each summer. Sometimes it’s free; sometimes $20 per kitten.

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is your city and state and I’ll check for a low-cost spay and neuter clinic in your area.

Sometimes (usually summer) they offer specials. For instance, in my county they get a PetSmart grant each summer. Sometimes it’s free; sometimes $20 per kitten.
I live in Sampson county NC... the vets i called said it would be $135 per male once the nuggets dropped & $165 for female 🙄🙄🙄