New member with a new cat, feeling anxious!!

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I'm not totally new to cats - I had them growing up, and my boyfriend has a 7-year-old cat, Reina, and we've been living together for a year. But I've been yearning for a cat of my own, and I just adopted an 18-month-old cat from *cringe* Craigslist. I've been on the waitlist for my local shelters - including shelters up to 3 hours away - since March, so I've been browsing other sites and I spotted this beautiful "Ragamuffin" cat with tortie coloring.

Her owner is absolutely lovely and kind and conscientious - she seems to have taken wonderful care of this cat. (*I haven't decided on a new name for her yet, so I'm going to refer to her as "the cat" for now!) She gave me two food supplements (one for immune health and a probiotic) and an anxiety supplement for her paws and one you can spray on a cat's scratching post/etc, and she came in a big carrier with her name on it. She also gave me the cat's paperwork, though, and I was able to discern the identity of her breeder from that. I googled her, and it turns out that she's infamous for selling sick, unsocialized, sometimes dying kittens. There are thousands of complaints and posts. Now I'm really worried and I'm not sure what I can do! I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. I'm sure the cats I had growing up were ultimately from backyard breeders, so it's not all that different...

Anyway, kitty is currently in the master bedroom while Reina has the rest of the apartment and we are going to introduce them super, super slowly - I am also anxious about that! :eek:

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
I've been yearning for a cat of my own
I'm really worried and I'm not sure what I can do! I guess I'm just looking for reassurance.
Anyway, kitty is currently in the master bedroom while Reina has the rest of the apartment and we are going to introduce them super, super slowly - I am also anxious about that! :eek:

:hithere: and welcome to TCS!!! (here's an article about being new on TCS!) New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You! – TheCatSite Articles We are so happy that you are here.
Of course, please feel free to ask ANY questions you have at all!!! No question is too big or too small for TCS :)
Thank you so much for rescuing this kitty.
I truly do have confidence that you will give her a great home- You have already started to do that- You are clearly caring for her and loving her! :hugs:
Here are a few great articles that should help with dealing with new cats: How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
If she hasn't already, I'd probably take her to the vet sometime (although you may want to let her settle in and get used to her first) for a checkup. Here's an article that might help you with checking for signs of illness in her: https://thecatsite.com/c/health-issues-in-tails/

Is she spayed? Definitely spay her (and/or) if she isn't already.
Please don't be anxious. I am here to reassure you. It is going to be okay. :redheartpump: I think it's absolutely, completely normal to be worried or maybe even a tiny, tiny bit regretful about taking on a new cat.
Do you know how old this kitty is? The younger she is, the quicker she'll adapt to you.
Thank you again for rescuing this kitty. Have a great rest of your day/evening!
P.S. Here is one last article that just may help you find a name for her ;): How To Choose The Best Name For Your New Cat – TheCatSite Articles

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
3d4a7fca5a901077faa7d23e16e6e300.gif
eva21315, Reina and new kitty, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
IMG_3139.JPG

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Do you have photos of your new kitty and Reina, do show them to us :camera::camera::camera:

BellaGooch BellaGooch has got some good links for you.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Sorry, though, that it's anxiety about your new cat that brought you here.

Did the owner (not that you could totally trust her) say why she was rehoming the kitty? That could give you an idea of whether there are any issues to be worried about. But first, as BellaGooch BellaGooch suggested, if you haven't already, take kitty to the vet for a checkup. Best to ensure she's healthy before you start the introduction with your resident cat. And when it's time to start that, here's a TCS article on How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you, to Reina, and to little Whatsherface! DO let us know when she as a name!

I know how worrisome knowing about that breeder is, but if she has made it to 18 months, she probably doesn't have anything horrible wrong with her. As for Craigslist, don't cringe. You didn't put her ON there, you rescued her FROM there! That's a different thing, entirely!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? Definitely spay her (and/or) if she isn't already.
Please don't be anxious. I am here to reassure you. It is going to be okay. :redheartpump: I think it's absolutely, completely normal to be worried or maybe even a tiny, tiny bit regretful about taking on a new cat.
Do you know how old this kitty is? The younger she is, the quicker she'll adapt to you.
Thank you again for rescuing this kitty. Have a great rest of your day/evening!
Thank you so much for this reassuring message!!!! <3 I read through all of those articles - I'm a little concerned after reading the master guide to bringing an adult cat home that the master bedroom might not be the best place for her, since I'm sleeping there and we do go in and out of that room (though we're cutting down on trips as much as possible). I think it'd be more traumatic to move her to the bathroom, though, and our shower is really loud, so I think I'll leave her and just hope!

She's 18 months old - fingers crossed!

Do you have photos of your new kitty and Reina, do show them to us :camera::camera::camera:
I most certainly will!!!! =) They're all on my phone but I'll transfer over to the computer and post them!

Did the owner (not that you could totally trust her) say why she was rehoming the kitty? That could give you an idea of whether there are any issues to be worried about. But first, as BellaGooch BellaGooch suggested, if you haven't already, take kitty to the vet for a checkup. Best to ensure she's healthy before you start the introduction with your resident cat. And when it's time to start that, here's a TCS article on How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite

Good luck. Keep us posted.
They rehomed her for financial reasons :/ They have several cats and this one was their newest addition. I have a vet visit scheduled for Monday!! I'm hoping she's a little more comfortable by then so I don't have to take her out of her hiding spot to put her in the carrier and the car and bring her into the vet! She hasn't eaten or used the litterbox yet, and she arrived here yesterday at 2:00 ET :/ I'm wondering if putting some wet food right in front of her hiding place would help, so she doesn't have to come all the way out and she can get food and some hydration in one spot.

Welcome to you, to Reina, and to little Whatsherface! DO let us know when she as a name!

I know how worrisome knowing about that breeder is, but if she has made it to 18 months, she probably doesn't have anything horrible wrong with her. As for Craigslist, don't cringe. You didn't put her ON there, you rescued her FROM there! That's a different thing, entirely!
Thank you so much!!!! <3 That's sort of what I was thinking - she's not a baby anymore and her vet records only indicate check-ups/vaccinations, not illnesses. I have several ideas for names for her, but I'll have to see her personality first!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She hasn't eaten or used the litterbox yet, and she arrived here yesterday at 2:00 ET :/ I'm wondering if putting some wet food right in front of her hiding place would help, so she doesn't have to come all the way out and she can get food and some hydration in one spot.
I'm going to give you a couple more articles about getting a cat out of hiding :lol2:
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
Is she shy? 10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
A cat being in hiding, as I'm sure you know, is perfectly normal. Try just being in the bedroom with her and talking to her, reading out loud to her, or just sitting quietly. Although I know that she isn't a feral, this is a tactic very commonly used for befriending ferals, as it
helps the kitty get used to your voice and smell.

One thing I've heard (which I don't know how well it works, so take it with a grain of salt) is putting a blanket, cat bed, shirt, etc. with Reina's smell on it so that she gets used to her scent.

Please keep us updated, and as tabbytom tabbytom said, please post pictures of her and Reina!!! :hugs:

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to give you a couple more articles about getting a cat out of hiding :lol2:
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
Is she shy? 10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
A cat being in hiding, as I'm sure you know, is perfectly normal. Try just being in the bedroom with her and talking to her, reading out loud to her, or just sitting quietly. Although I know that she isn't a feral, this is a tactic very commonly used for befriending ferals, as it
helps the kitty get used to your voice and smell.

One thing I've heard (which I don't know how well it works, so take it with a grain of salt) is putting a blanket, cat bed, shirt, etc. with Reina's smell on it so that she gets used to her scent.

Please keep us updated, and as tabbytom tabbytom said, please post pictures of her and Reina!!! :hugs:
Thank you so much! I’ve read a few articles that recommend sitting where your cat can see you and reading or speaking softly. New kitty is in a spot between two pillows under the bed where she can’t see much of anything, and I wonder if that’s having an effect. It’s only been a day though!!
Here is Reina!!! She loves her cat tower 😍
6DB36E5D-A188-4618-B658-187E00515BD7.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She hasn't eaten or used the litterbox yet, and she arrived here yesterday at 2:00 ET :/ I'm wondering if putting some wet food right in front of her hiding place would help, so she doesn't have to come all the way out and she can get food and some hydration in one spot.
It's not unusual for a cat not to eat or use the litter box in the first 24 hours or so of being in a new home. But, yes, wet food, the stinkier the better, might entice her to eat. You could also try tuna, sardines, turkey deli meat, etc., if the cat food doesn't work. Any time after 24 hours, it become imperative that she eat something or it can become a dangerous healthy situation.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? | TheCatSite
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again | TheCatSite

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not unusual for a cat not to eat or use the litter box in the first 24 hours or so of being in a new home. But, yes, wet food, the stinkier the better, might entice her to eat. You could also try tuna, sardines, turkey deli meat, etc., if the cat food doesn't work. Any time after 24 hours, it become imperative that she eat something or it can become a dangerous healthy situation.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? | TheCatSite
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again | TheCatSite
Thank you so much for this. I thought that was the case when I had cats 10+ years ago, but kept finding all these accounts online of people saying their cat didn't eat for days so thought I was wrong. I called her previous owner and found out what kind of wet food she likes; my bf couldn't find it but I had him pick up a bunch of cans of fancy feast and Sheba wet food (what Reina eats) and he should be here any minute. I didn't have any tuna on hand but I did cook up a little bit of cod (no oil, no seasonings, just a piece of cod in a pan) and cooled it off and put it in the room. Her dry food and water are now under the bed with her, but there isn't room for any more bowls (I've read I should offer her a smorgasbord) so I'm wondering if I should move one of the pillows she's hiding behind to make more room...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How'd it go with the new food? Anything she liked?

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How'd it go with the new food? Anything she liked?
🤗
She ate some tuna!!! Only a few bites but she is a tiny cat - 5-6lb I’d guess. I did move her pillows which caused her to move to hide under the bureau, which I think was actually fortuitous because then she could see me. I sat on the floor for an hour and a half or so and she poked her whole head out at one point to look at me, then started kind of chatting to me - little cooing/grunting noises. Then when I came to bed and shut the light off, she immediately came out and I heard her crunch some dry food and use the litter box, and then she started exploring. She came over to the side of the bed and meowed a few times and with some encouragement, jumped up on the bed! Her previous owner said she likes to snuggle in bed so I tried to give her pets that she responded well to, but she kept pacing and ultimately yowling unless I was actively petting her. At around 2am I had to leave and sleep in the living room - I used earplugs but the yowling was still so loud and insistent (1-2sec between yowls), I couldn’t sleep and knew I needed at least a little.
She is not spayed (first order of business!!!!!!!!!) - I sent a video of the yowling to her previous owner and asked if it’s heat yowling, but she said it sounds like distress :/
I’ve got a Feliway diffuser in her room and it’s as quiet as I can make it - hopefully she’ll start to settle a bit. Just relieved that she’s eaten!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor baby. Hopefully the Feliway will help calm her. Good, though, that she's eating, and that she used the litter box.

And, yes, spaying, and vet check, should be top of your "to do" list.

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As an update, we have a bit of a routine now! We play from around 8-9:30pm, then I do my bedtime routine, then it’s bedtime - she still runs/paces and meows sometimes, especially between 4-6am. Eating more :) Coming when called, in the evening at least.

Unfortunately, today I have to bring her to the vet...she sleeps under the bed all day and isn’t really motivated to come out by food so I’m afraid I won’t be able to lure her and will have to traumatize her :( compounding this, she HAS met my boyfriend now and comes out when he’s in the room, but starting tonight he’ll be sleeping with us too - he’s been on the couch with Reina but isn’t sleeping well so he’ll be in with us. Not ideal right after the vet visit but it is what it is! If Reina is very upset by him not being nearby, we’ll have to swap the cats and new kitty and I will be in the living room while Reina and bf will take over the bedroom. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that - Reina has been much calmer with the Feliway diffuser! Amazing what a difference it makes.

Anyway! Here are some pictures! I still can’t decide on a name! I was initially thinking Persephone (nickname Effie), or Phoebe, or Bodie, but none seems to quite fit!
179242B6-E27B-4D34-9BDA-0D15A877B98E.jpeg
86E3E3D7-5908-4C8E-ADC0-38343DB64BC3.jpeg
1757F5D8-B49E-439A-BA79-41736901965A.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... she's a beauty. :hearthrob:

Good luck at the vet.