New member of the family

red66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rescued a feral kitten and know nothing about these lovely creatures. Elsa is part of the family now and has been to the vet often.

She will lay in the same spot for 8 hours. If we pick her up she is limp. Her breathing is rattled. She has been on antibiotics for a few weeks. She went to jump up on sofa and landed on the floor and just laid there until we pick her up. Took her to get checked on this afternoon and doc thinks nothing serious. Ok but we are freaked she has been asleep for 5 hours in one spot. Has not eaten since yesterday. Any suggestions or ideas? I need the cat whisperer to visit.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I think you need a second opinion. Rattled breathing and going limp are not normal. And although I'm not an expert in kittens, generally I think they are very energetic so not moving for hours and hours seems unusual.

The fact that she's not eating is a big concern. Cats can not go long without food as they develop fatty liver disease. This can be fatal and even those cats who recover often face a long recovery.

There are ways to encourage her to eat. Many cats love turkey or chicken baby food (no garlic of onions). Others respond to tuna. If you warm the food, that makes it smell stronger and makes it more enticing. If Elsa has a respiratory infection it's possible she can't smell the food and won't eat as a result.

Try rubbing some food or tuna water on her paws and she will probably lick it off.

I think she needs to go to another vet tomorrow - this is not something you want to wait over.

Good luck to you and dear little Elsa. Fingers crossed that she makes a quick recovery.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She needs another trip to the vet and/or a second opinion from another vet.  She is not doing well at all!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed.  This is not normal and very concerning.  You'll have to advocate for her at a new vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

red66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Finally found a vet to see her at 1:30 AM. He thinks could be some horrible things. He have her lots of shots, could not draw blood. She has not been to sleep yet. No energy to move. Peeing on self. I am at a loss. Will keep trying to find her help. Thank you all. Prayers please.

brian77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Prayers sent. I hope she gets well soon.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor little thing, sending prayers.....

Beautiful (((baby))) please feel better soon.

shauvon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning red 66 I know you're having a very hard time right now keeping it together. You're doing everything that you possibly can it was good that you got a second opinion. This little baby looks so small. She is absolutely adorable and it's good that you got her wrapped up in a blanket just keep offering her everything that Margd said to do. If the vet gave her antibiotics and steroids that is a good thing. just keep showing her love, making her feel loved and wanted. you have to take care of yourself too hun. Lots of love sent your way you have a big heart take care.

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are a blessing to have rescued a feral kitten.  Many people will not touch them even though they deserve to be loved and cared for also.  It is so impossible to know what they have been exposed to.  You are doing the very best for her and the vet has not given up.  As others have advised, just pour the love to her and keep her close so she knows she is welcome and home.  You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

red66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Elsa is getting meds several times a day. My daughter has fallen in love with her. Started breathing treatments yesterday. I also started her a Facebook page /prayforelsa.
Thank you all for your caring.
I am trying to find homes for her mom and 1 kitten from last litter. They are living in supply room at my work. I can't understand people that close their eyes to living critters in front of them. Merry Christmas