New Member/My cat is throwing a terrible tantrum because I won't let him go outside.

nubbysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I'm NubbysMom! His name is actually Little Britches but when I adopted him I didn't realize the end of his tail was a nub so now he's got 100 random nicknames lol. But anyway, I'm having some issues with my little 8-10? month old cat, he's started peeing and pooing outside of his litterbox doesn't matter if it's got fresh bedding, how much fresh, or if there is a top on the litter box or not. I can tell you exactly why the little jerk is doing it too, he wants to go outside really badly because one of our other cats does. But the other cat is older and knows the lay of the land and to avoid cars. I don't want to let my cat outside although he is dying to go out. He's started throwing his fit by peeing in our upstairs hallway, it got so bad that we are keeping him downstairs. He has access to the main room, laundry room, and our bedroom, but he's not allowed upstairs and he don't really attempt to get up there. I just don't know how to get him to stop throwing this fit. We've tried walking him on a harness, we've tried letting him outside in a crate, we've tried keeping him strictly indoors before he started bolting out...

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten does what I call "political pees" where she'll do a big piss and won't bury it. She does it when she's upset or cranky. Her way of raging against the machine(me).
If he has a shared litter box he might be intimidated by older cat scent.
If he has his own tray that he's not using but is sees it as his s territory maybe putting some of the other cats urine in his tray might make him territorial and forget his political objections.
Attica!! Attica!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nubbysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's the only downstairs cat and he has two litter boxes to himself. We cleaned his out completely last night and he just pooped in the floor again. It's obvious he knows what he is doing is wrong. I'm not sure how many of you are into horoscopes but from what I looked up he's a Libra-Scorpio cusp and the Scorpio in him may be the very reason this is all happening. It seems to me he's holding a grudge against me due to the fact of not being able to go outside. 

I'm obviously not going to get rid of my cat I love him way to much but I would definitely love to end this awful behaviour he's picked up as of recently.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the spraying is a sign of stress.

Your house is very unfamiliar to him, and he probably doesn't understand why he's being kept inside.He must be use to going out. 

I think you are definitely doing the right thing. 

I see these as your options:

1. Build a fence

2. Build a catio in-which he can access 24/7

3. Take him out everyday on a harness @ the same time, and same length of time

4. Play with him more inside, and provide lots of toys. Additionally ensure he has a nice place to look out the window. 

I hope your friend settles down!

nubbysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's been an indoor cat for the better part of 6 months now that he's been with me. Although he was about 2 or 3 weeks old when I got him from the Shelter and he hadn't been there long from my understanding. I've never had a bond like I do with my cat, he's my baby and I'm his human and trust me everyone can tell he is my cat. I think it's funny because on occasion he's mistook my boyfriend for me when being called from a distance and I've watched the excited "Oh it's mommy" trot until he see's it's not me lol. I'm going to start walking him daily in our backyard, we have chickens, geese, ducks and 2 goats but he's not interested in them.

We don't own the house we are living in although they are in the buying process (I live with my boyfriend and his family, no I don't have a child/am not pregnant) But once they get the house they plan to make the back porch into a cat patio (Me and my boyfriends bedroom is like the mud room and it's got a huge utility like closet with two chicken brooders, and the only access to the back door, plus a half bath) 

When he gets in trouble we usually put him in the bathroom for thirty minutes, he pouts about it, but he still comes in on his own will so I doubt he sees it as punishment and if he does he don't care.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ducks, Chickens, and goats!

I don't own my house either, but hope to in the next 2-3 years. I would LOVE to have a yard and have chickens, and goats. And maybe ducks; I've read they're very smart.

That's good then he'll be having a catio soon, and that you can take him out on walks. I'm surprised he's so fixated on the outside. I guess being in the cage outside, and walking on a leash really sold him. My cats I don't bring out on a leash, or cage. I live in a VERY busy apartment complex (plus I'm on the 3rd floor) and I don't want to give them ANY ideas.

I hope everything works out for you guys!

Last edited:

nubbysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad to say that after a 30 min walk outside in the backyard he didn't go potty in our floor at all! Yay! I joke and call him nature kitty, here's a video of his first time going outside. 

My cat is a very interesting cat and it's definitely been a trip owning him lol. I've never met a cat who likes noisy toys, plays with shadows and loves to chew and chase sticks, he's not very interested in cat toys, now he likes the little mice I had got for him but the dogs snuck and destroyed all his toys.

However he makes toys out of everything in our room, things like the bag of rabbit fur I saved from a rabbit when she pulled a ton of fur for her nest, random pieces of hay and straw and occasionally chicken feathers. I forgot to mention our turkey! He's still small but he's pretty cool! Oh I also forgot my rabbits >3< Sheesh look at me I live on a farm and forget half my animals haha. We actually live right off the side of the road, with a decent size fenced back yard, I have 22 rabbits currently and about 7 of those are for sale, If anyone in NC or nearby is looking for a bunny I'm selling lol. 

So thank you all for your wonderful advice! I'm gonna keep him on a schedule even on rainy days, we'll just go sit on the front porch when it rains.

Last edited by a moderator:

nubbysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No flooding here and I've never heard of Topsail >3< I'm not from here though I moved here from Germany when I was 5 so I know surrounding counties and a little ways out past that but not as much as most people haha, Glad there's no flooding here lol, we did get a few days of rain though... I'm glad you could hear the ducks it's funny listening to them, they always sound like they are laughing.  Speaking of ducks..

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Duckies! 

Do they lay eggs for you? Also, curious, but are they friendly like hens? How do the cats get along with the other animals? 

My friend's hens would attack the cats after they had a bad experience with one of the cats attacking one of them. 

Oh you are from Deutschland! Willkommen! 

Topsail is a very pretty beach destination. It's a oddly quiet beach-island. Not like Myrtle Beach in SC. It's very secluded, and the locals are very friendly. 

I remember at night all these little white crabs would crawl to the surface and scurry around the beach. There were also parts of the beach reserved for sea turtles. 

Last edited:

nubbysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Port Sail sounds beautiful! I think I looked it up a few days ago but I'm gonna look again lol. The ducks do lay eggs as well as the chickens, we have one duck that was handled a lot her name is Peanut and she's super friendly. I've never had any chickens or ducks attempt to peck or attack my cat but my cat does try to go after the chicken, although he's the only one out of four cats that does it.  My cat however LOVES the rabbits.I mean he loves them so much he just wants to snuggle and play with them (I have watched him play with them before the rabbit will chase him and then be chased and when he pounces he never uses his claws, I am very careful about these things because I do know he could kill my rabbit at any point if he wanted so we don't keep him around the rabbits for long)