New member here; My new kitten! Anyone know what kind she is?

Hunterjade93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found her outside in my apartment complex. It’s not unheard of for there to always be several cats wandering around. She was skittish for about 3 months then finally was able to come inside and let me keep her. I have had her almost a month. She really has not gotten much bigger only fatter lol. She is very hyper and plays all the time with her toys. She is also very sweet and does wonderful with my children. I am making a vets appointment soon to get her checked out and see if she is old enough to be fixed because she loves to be outside but there is a female cat in heat that hangs around and is attracting all the males in the area so I am afraid to let her out right now. Anyways does anyone know what kind of cat she may be ? She has a bobtail and after doing a little research and comparing it to her personality I figured she may be an American Bobtail cat but I am not for sure. Also if anyone does know her breed and any tips to keep her healthy and happy please let me know ! She is my only pet and my first cat I have had in almost ten years! I have been hesitant about having an animal because I live in a small apartment but she just absolutely won my heart over and I can’t let her go. Thanks!
997E51FA-E015-4B8F-BFCA-4F911898EC05.jpeg
654EA3FC-AB83-466E-8DCB-6590E6339394.jpeg
9DD7E85A-86F4-4171-9479-422C2B4B0256.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful! :redheartpump:

I would describe your kitty as a brown mackerel tabby or torbie domestic shorthair. My guess would be torbie (also known as tortie tabby, or patched tabby) rather than tabby, because it looks like she has a red stripe above her eye here (circled in the picture):

997E51FA-E015-4B8F-BFCA-4F911898EC05.jpeg

There are many possible causes for her short tail. Is her tail simply shortened, or does it have any kinks or bumps when you gently feel the structure of the tail under the fur?

She's definitely old enough to be spayed. I would suggest that you call your vet and see if you can get a spay appointment, then you won't have to worry about her going into heat and possibly escaping outside and getting pregnant.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-830568.gif
Hunterjade93 and kitty, non behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
68ae3a05b59600a393f84b44e8c9c352.gif
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for taking in this kitty and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home :clapcat: Do post more photos of her and we have a special thread here just for her in show-me-your-stripes-and-spots-tabby-cats-only.347378 and many fun thread in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to.

And to have your question answered about what breed your kitty is, best is to post it here in describing-cats-what-does-my-cat-look-like.5809 as more members visit this forum page regarding the description of breed of cats.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to the both of you! What is her name? I can't keep calling such a pretty lady "Whatsherface," after all! As for her breed, probably the most you will ever know is "DSH," or "Domestic Shorthair." And that's just a nice term for "shorthaired mixed breed." You can, if the budget allows, find a firm that does DNA testing for breeds in cats. UC Davis has one that seems reliable.

Here's the thing...cat breeds are not like dog breeds. Except for a very few outstanding traits (bradycephalic, as Persians; tailless, like your girl-Manx or Japanese or American bobtails; shortened legs, Munchkins, etc; hairless or semi-hairless, Sphynx or Lykoi), cats are pretty much the same to most of us. It takes a real expert in a breed to pick out the very fine differences (subtle head shapes, etc) between a purebred anything and a mixed breed...and even they would not know for sure, in the absence of papers. And ALL of the traits I mentioned can occur as natural mutations at any time.

But she is gorgeous, she is a sweetheart, and she is YOURS! And she is my favorite breed of all...A RESCUE!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Beautiful kitty. :catlove: Thank for rescuing her. :petcat:

any tips to keep her healthy and happy please let me know
My main tip to keep her healthy and happy, is keeping her as an indoor only cat. There's just too many risks in letting cats roam outside, and even cats born feral can live purr-fectly happy lives never going outside. And since you have to keep her inside till she's spayed, by the time she recovers from that, she'll be used to living inside.

If you feel your apartment is too small for her, here's a TCS article on How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles that might be helpful.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thank you for rescuing this adorable kitten and giving her a forever home.:thanks: She's positively precious.