New Member - Cat With Weird Rash/Anger Issues

kaywinnet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I live in a small down with one vet, who recently had to leave due to a broken foot. Long story short, the emergency vet doesn't like anything that is not emergencies and the new vet wont be in until Thursday. I have two female kittens, aged seven months, not fixed. I moved in with my friend, and she has two cats: a twelve year old fixed male, and a four year old fixed female (Rogue, the main subject).

1) I have been here for five months. I did everything recommended, including using feliway, but Rogue still out right attackes my kittens. They are being forced to stay in my bedroom (which is driving me up the wall because they are so hyper).

2) Rogue has a rash on her ears and under her neck. She is allergic to fleas, but since I am allergic too and I am having no reactions, I do not believe this is it. There is mold in the bathroom from a leak, but she has never reacted to that before. Could it be stress? I've never heard of a stress rash. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the area loosing fur?  Sometimes stress can cause a cat to over groom. She basically rubs herself raw and removes all the fur in patches.

I know it seems unfair but is there a way for her to have her own room and let the kittens run the rest of the house?  One cat in a room won't be as crowded and it will give the kids a change to blow off steam in the rest of the house.  If not permanently, at least on an alternating basis?

She may need someplace she can retreat to when the kittens get rambunctious (or just plain get on her nerves).

You might also think about adding a cat tree or two - it will increase the amount of "territory" the cats have

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there and welcome to TCS!

Here is a helpful article and video on allergic dermatitis in pets (http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/07/01/pet-allergies.aspx). It is often caused by food issues because cats often eat species inappropriate diets,  so that is something to consider and another helpful site on feline nutrition written by a vet is (www.catinfo.org).

You are right that stress may be a factor in this case and you might want to try getting rescue remedy or spirit essences (http://store.jacksongalaxy.com/category-s/1849.htm).

I know you said you did a proper introduction but you might want to read this article on introducing cats and maybe start over (http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats). Swapping scents with towels or putting vanilla extract on all the cats so they smell the same is really helpful. Also, feeding them on either side of a door to get them to associate good things with each other works. 

I would also take the cat to the vet as soon as they come into town just to rule out anything else. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaywinnet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. There are four cat trees around the house. I have given Rogue her own room for the past month while the kittens roam about, but every once in a while one escapes and Rogue has to pounce on her. 

@franksmom. I have done the scent swapping thing, and even the feed through doors thing. I have also tried playing with Rogue while the door is cracked open (enough for the kittens to sniff but not get out).