New Med for Feline Herpes Kitties!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
We have used this twice with two very stubborn herpes cases.

The first was with a cat that came into the rescue Jan 2014 with entropian associated with FHV. We used the PI immediately (the following day) starting after surgery. The treatment course was 10 days.

Our most recent use was about 9 mo ago on a kitten that just couldn't catch a break in between flare ups...she was *extremely* ill with her FHV, so much so that we had to hold off on having her spayed. We finally bit the bullet when she was 10 mo old and started her on PI 3 days before surgery and continued for 7 days after. We also treated her with Veraflox for 5 days after surgery. SHE HASNT HAD A FLARE UP SINCE!

The cost of one 10 mL vial of PI ran $85-$95; but, considering the benefits, it was well worth the price.

We have also used PI on one of our rescues that developed FIP. It has experimentally been used off-label as a "treatment" for the dry form. We lost G 4 months after diagnosis to the wet form. But, I wouldn't hesitate to try it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@CatPack thank you for sharing your experience.  It sounds like it's for kitties who are in crisis, not something you'd use for maintenance if the herpes is under control.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I would agree. The treatment protocol out now is for 10 days of PI (which can consist of 2-5 vials of PI depending on the weight of the cat.)

If the herp is maintained well without too many breakthroughs, I would continue. However, if a cat has chronic symptoms or has frequent flare ups and requires a lot of famcyclovir, doxycycline, Idox, etc, then I would definitely consider the PI.

I currently have a cat with chronic FHV, and while his symptoms are mild-moderate (sniffly/sneezy with occasional watery eyes...typically all clear discharge) and he is responsive to famcyclovir, his symptoms do seem to be progressive each year. He's only 3 1/2 right now. So, if he continues to have chronic/constant issues when not on famcyclovir, I will definitely be considering PI for him in the not so distant future.