New Mama Here Hello And Please Help Lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuvMy2Cuties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Am I missing an edit feature or isn't there one?

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww they are so cute! How do you resist burying your face in tigger’s tummy?

I don't know if we can make them totally indoor cats, especially Tigger who is older and it's all he has ever known. I want to try to keep them in for at least several weeks though. One problem is the nest door neighbor told my fiancé he let his cats out only 3 days after they moved in and they were fine, so now my fiancé thinks I'm being overly protective. I'm worried he won't be as careful as I am about not letting them dash. I am planning to make a room for them upstairs so we can put them up there when we have workmen around. That's where we'll put the things we are bringing from home that we really don't want to keep but they find familiar and comforting.
I understand, my parents were always the same way. I’m so glad you are willing to take some things that are familiar and comforting for them until they settle in, it’s so sweet. You mentioned the gps collar, have you looked into it any more? It sounds like they will definitely be indoor/outdoor cats, which is ok. Maybe you could train them to come in at a certain time (like at dinner time so they are home for the night) to give you a bit of piece of mind?

For me the edit button is next to the flag button. That said, I’m usually on the iPad, which means I’m using safari, I don’t know if that effects it or not.

LuvMy2Cuties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww they are so cute! How do you resist burying your face in tigger’s tummy?

I understand, my parents were always the same way. I’m so glad you are willing to take some things that are familiar and comforting for them until they settle in, it’s so sweet. You mentioned the gps collar, have you looked into it any more? It sounds like they will definitely be indoor/outdoor cats, which is ok. Maybe you could train them to come in at a certain time (like at dinner time so they are home for the night) to give you a bit of piece of mind?

For me the edit button is next to the flag button. That said, I’m usually on the iPad, which means I’m using safari, I don’t know if that effects it or not.
Maybe it does, I'm on IE and nothing next to the flag button. I am still looking at the GPS collars. Some on Amazon loved them, and others said whether they work well depends on your area. I am also concerned with how quickly my little girl loses her collars. Although I guess the GPS would allow me to find the collar, too!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Am I missing an edit feature or isn't there one?
The edit option only sticks around for a certain length of time. 120 minutes I think. Also I believe you have to have a certain # of posts before the edit feature becomes available.

About your 2nd picture, you can click the flag icon and ask a moderator to show your thumbnail picture as full size.

LuvMy2Cuties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, sorry it's been so long, the moving process was tortuous and we are still rehabbing while we live here. So I moved in in May, the cats had already been in the new place for a few weeks as my fiancé was here working on the place. So far they both seem to like it, especially Tigger, who, despite being fixed, apparently has a girlfriend at our next door neighbor's house. He likes to be outside most of the time, and has developed an annoying habit of digging his claws into the bedroom rug or the mattress and clawing it to wake us up at 5am and let him out. We don't reward him for it, and have locked him out of the bedroom on work nights. The first night he cried so pathetically outside the door we caved and let him in, but he only has done that once so far.

I think Thumper likes the inside better than the old house. She always spent more time in the house than Tigger, but here she seems afraid of the outside a bit. The first couple times we let her out, she sniffed around for a few minutes than went back to the door to come in. She is asking to go outside a couple of times a day now, but she seems to want one of us to be out there with her (which I am typing this outside while she rubs her back on the grass) and she doesn't usually want to stay out long.

After much research, I bought a tracking device called Findster. It has 2 units and a "Guardian" unit, I turn my guardian unit on and attach theirs to their collar and turn them on. In the Findster app, it shows me where they are in a satellite view, and also says how many feet and how many "paws" away they are, lol. It's not 100% accurate, like it'll say Thumper is 100 feet away when she's right next to me sometimes, but at least I'd have a clue where they are if they didn't come home. I'm not 100% positive how it works, someone said it's similar to walkie-talkies technology, but there are no subscription fees and it had the best overall reviews of the ones I looked into. It was $200 but I feel better with the devices on them.

The thing that makes me mad about them is it's advertised for dogs and cats, however the rubber piece they give you to attach to the collar is way too big and bugs them. Yesterday we replaced them with zip ties. The unit too is pretty big for cats, but they tolerate them.

The collar situation is also resolved. Thumper lost her breakaways in days, and I didn't want to attach a $200 gadget to a collar she was going to lose. I bought collars called beastie bands on Amazon. They are stretchy and close with Velcro. They have had them on for months now. The only negative is although they have lots of cute patterns, they send colors randomly, so the one I wanted for Tigger, a male, they sent in pink so I had to switch them.

So far so good. I was so panicked about them it really kind of ruined the anticipation of moving, but they both seem happy. The house has very wide windowsills, 8 or 10", so they have a lot better views than they did in the last house.

Thanks everyone for the replies, and again I apologize for the delay in my update!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad you're all settled in, and that the cats are happy. :catlove: