New male cat intimidating my female cat

Ira92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All 4 of our cats are neutered and spayed. We have had two female cats for a long time. one 20 years old, the other, about 5. The 5 yo is named Smeach. Very loving cat, social, and we adopted her after my sister found her thin and desperate, digging in the trash for food. We have a large garage shop where they live & have loved, they go in at night and hangout on the property during the day. There’s a cat tree inside, and plenty of space to hangout. We decided to adopt two boys last fall. Both were sweet and good personality when I met them at humane society, but not much history was given. At first, the orange tabby, Milo, was very timid. But as time went on, he has been dominating Smeach’s areas and sometimes even tackling her, and they’ve fought a couple times. He’s fine with the other two cats, though. The 20 yo female cat, Precious, was very hostile with him so he doesn’t mess with her. They’re all fixed, but I heard sometimes the males still get attracted to female scent & exhibit mating behaviors. Long story short, Smeach’s health has been gradually declining. She’s been getting sick more, She isolates more and doesn’t go to her favorite spots anymore because he is there. The other male cat is sweet and easygoing and they get along fine. I tried to discipline him with spray bottle, but he actually likes water... and I know cat behaviors are instinctual so I don’t know how to correct his behaviors. He also gets poop into their water bowls by cleaning his paws post litter box. I tried to have a separate bowl for that but he still does it in the drinking water. I have to constantly check and clean the water, but I’m pretty sure that’s why they got sick recently.
It’s just been tough and I hate to admit this, but I am considering adopting him out again. He’s sweet with us, but his behaviors are really taking a toll on our sweet Smeach, who we have had for a long while, and I think he’d do better as an only cat. He loves being outdoors but he likes to monopolise everything in the shop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ira92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s the humane society. I’m going to ask friends and family first. It makes me sad for him also because it took him a while to warm up. He is a good cat, he is sweet with my husband and I and makes cute chirping sounds. He loves our place and has made it his home. But I cannot stand seeing Smeach suffer. We’ve had him about 5 months and maybe the sooner the better the transition.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise