new lost cat

rizwaan123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so i just adopted a cat and just after 5 hours he jumped out of the 2 story window he was fine but immideatly ran away we placed his favourite food outside and he ate at night but when we opened the door he ran we think we heard him behind a large hedge but we cant get him out and his food and water we put outside for him are untouched what should i do and will he ever come back

he is neutered and chipped by the way and his old home is well out of range for him to go back

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep food out, but mostly keep looking and talking to people. If he's treats motivated (I realize you may not know, but try it anyway), try shaking a bag as you walk. Put a trap out if you think it might help, with stinky food in it but watch the trap and check it very frequently.

Help! My Cat Is Lost! – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rizwaan123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks i put some food out and his old bed and toy he still hasnt come put but we can hear his colar bell

rizwaan123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thankyou i feel so guilty we only had him a couple hours his bell stopped ringing his dry and wet food are still untouched

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please follow all the suggestions in the article that Furballsmom Furballsmom provided - ASAP.

I know you said his 'old home' is out of range, but that may not be how he sees it. How far are we talking? If not ridiculously far away, you need to follow most of the suggestions in that article in his old location too - the flyers and notifications to stores, vets, etc. Soliciting the help of kids in his old area would also be a big benefit because of their willingness to get involved when it comes to animals.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
do you think he is trying to go back to his old home and if so is it possible for him to go that far?
One can only guess. But I feel like it could be a good possibility since you no longer hear his cat bell, and he is no longer eating the food you put out. There are all kinds of stories about cats traveling far distances, so I don't think you can rule it out. Don't stop looking in your area either though, as he may have found some other folks around the area that are feeding him, and if his collar was a break-away, he could have easily lost it.

rizwaan123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok but we iust saw the neigbours cat putside he was the one whos bell we heard and was eating the food im really starting to loose hope

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ok but we iust saw the neigbours cat putside he was the one whos bell we heard and was eating the food im really starting to loose hope
Do you know that your neighbor's cat was eating the food for sure? For now, to me, that would suggest your cat started to head to what he knew as his home right away. Doesn't mean you don't try to follow all the suggestions in that article, both in your neighborhood, and your cat's old neighborhood as well. Trying to find him is better than losing hope and not doing anything.

rizwaan123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yh we didnt see him clearly any time after 30 minuted of hime going missig so he may have gone immideatly he went just 2 or 3 hours after we adopted him

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Lost Cat Behavior

Cats have been known to get back to homes that are not all that close. It is called psi trailing and is a real phenomenon. I am not saying that any of us know if your cat is doing this, but it is worth following the suggestions and even tracing a route, if that is possible.

If he is in the vicinity, you may need to use a humane trap to get him. If you aren't familiar with doing that, we can help you here on TCS.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pretty kitty! How old is this cat? And how long was he with his previous owner? While he might be able to 'live off the land', there is a good chance he will go a path that can lead him to locations where he might find people to feed him, or places where there are folks who feed their cats, or strays, outdoors. So, the best you can do is trace a path with those things in mind and place your flyers and contact information along the way.