New litter no good

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been using dr elsey last 10 years and recently switched to another brand because it got dustier and clumping not as good. Arm and hammer is no good. It’s not dust free as it claims. Litter granules are much smaller than elsey. It’s more like coarse sand and has slight fragrance. The box doesn’t say it’s scented so I thought it was scent free but it’s not.
6239B415-506C-401B-8606-4BB58824DFF7.jpeg

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have people with allergies in my home, so I've gotten good at looking for unscented cat litter.

As a general rule, unless it specifically says "unscented," it has perfume in it. You can double check this by looking on the side or back of the box where ingredients are listed. This is especially true when a litter says something like "Odor Eliminators," which is usually a euphemism for "perfumes."

Also, in my experience that bit about not sticking to the pan doesn't work as advertised.

Margret

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried tidy cats litter? I have allergies myself, as do others in my household, and we haven’t had problems with that brand. I used to use a “dust-free” clay litter, which was anything but dust-free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have people with allergies in my home, so I've gotten good at looking for unscented cat litter.

As a general rule, unless it specifically says "unscented," it has perfume in it. You can double check this by looking on the side or back of the box where ingredients are listed. This is especially true when a litter says something like "Odor Eliminators," which is usually a euphemism for "perfumes."

Also, in my experience that bit about not sticking to the pan doesn't work as advertised.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sticking with dr elsey. It’s unscented and better at clumping than arm and hammer.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed the same with Dr. Elsey’s in most batches from 2020 becoming dustier, but I ordered another bag from Chewy last month and it doesn’t seem to be so dusty anymore. I wonder if it was a vendor issue? I did notice though while not so dusty, there were some rather large clay pieces that reminded me of sea shells and looked sharp. I scooped those out as I was worried about it hurting my cat’s paws.