New litter from stray cat

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. My husband and I had a calico cat named Smooch. She died March 4th. She would have been 18 years old on May 5th and we adopted her from a local shelter in 2003 At 7 months old.

when she died, we said “no more cats” (we still have our 14 year old cat, Zax). Well, fate said otherwise. Our dog found a kitten (put vet said she was maybe 10 months old) On April 11th. We live in a semi rural area and there are coyotes and foxes in the woods nearby. She looked well groomed, clean, and in good condition so we thought for sure someone was looking for her.

we posted to a lost cats Facebook site in our area, talked to many neighbors, and reported finding her to animal control. No one claimed her So after 30 days, she became ours. Of course, we kept her-we fell for her almost immediately! We named her Nyxie.

I guess we are super naive. We just thought she was gaining weight because she was getting fed regularly. But when we took her to our vet, we were told she was pregnant! Our male cat, Zax, was neutered 13 years ago so she was pregnant before our dog found her. We arranged to have a local rescue group foster her till the kittens were weaned. I know nothing about animals giving birth-never seen it in my 54 years!

Nyxie ended up giving birth 2 days before she was to leave for the foster home. So now we have 4 kittens 😀. They are so precious!

But it is nerve wracking watching them and worrying about how they are growing. I weigh them each evening. I’m sure I will have a ton of questions about the babies but wanted to introduce us all! Sorry so long! Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wanted to add that we were given the option to spay while pregnant but couldn’t do it, even though there are too many kittens in the world. We will definitely be getting Nyxie spayed as soon as the vet gives us the ok. And the rescue group is going to help us get the kittens all neutered/ spayed, shots, and adopted out!