New Kitty Poop/food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn’t ask. I think it might be on the paperwork I’ll check later. It was a yellow green color liquid.
Kitty just had a super long worm in poop though. Looked like a dried up noodle lol

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help!
So kitty was sleeping on my chest and it smelled like she farted so I moved her and noticed a white small worm wiggling down her leg.
She was dewormed on Tuesday.
Does this mean it did not work, also do I need to be worried?? She lays on me and my kids all the time? Also sleeps at the the end of our bed. How easy it for us to get it from her?

Please help

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, but you might want to keep her contained for a bit, the eewww factor is bigger than the risk I think but I'm not a vet or a doctor.
I'm not sure about the length of time, can you contact your vet?

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not until Monday. Do I need to wake my kids up and wash my sheets? I’m not sure where I could keep her that she will stay maybe the bathroom.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I was reading, a person would have to swallow the flea that caused the worms in the cat.
I wouldn't wake the kids, hopefully someone with more experience comes in for you.

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have been reading that too. I have been read conflicting answers though. She had fleas really bad but the day before she came here I made sure she had a flea bath then when she got here I gave her another one and she only had one flea on her. She hasn’t had fleas for 2 weeks and I’ve never had fleas in my home so hopefully that means I should be good till I get her to a vet.

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg yes! I even tried to chat with a vet online but they wanted to charge me thirty dollars! Lol
I wish it was a weekday morning because I would be on the phone with the vet now!
I really don’t want to lock kitty up in bathroom because her litter box is in my room and I feel like that would confuse her. And the bathrooms cold :(
Hopefully someone with experience or a vet experience will see this!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A cold bathroom would be bad, true.

So, no one in your family has had anything strange going on? It seems like probably you're ok...I tried to contact a couple other members as well, but they've left the site I guess...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please help!
So kitty was sleeping on my chest and it smelled like she farted so I moved her and noticed a white small worm wiggling down her leg.
She was dewormed on Tuesday.
Does this mean it did not work, also do I need to be worried?? She lays on me and my kids all the time? Also sleeps at the the end of our bed. How easy it for us to get it from her?

Please help
What was she wormed for, and (gross as it is) was the worm a spaghetti shape, a rice shape, etc?

If she sleeps on your bed, keep your bedding washed reasonably (not obsessively, no need to wash every 10 minutes or something).
I wouldn't wake the kids up for this. I can't count how many wormy kittens I grew up playing with/sleeping beside/hanging out with. Worse I got was ringworm, which is fungal, not a real worm. :)
She might need a re-worming medicine in a few weeks, as the cycle can repeat if she has a big load in her.
Worms are not an unheard of problem. We've yet to bring in kittens or adults without worms of some sort, and it sounds gross and all but it's really not so uncommon.
Watch her, don't freak out, call your vet on Monday and tell them what you saw.
If you're not sure, bag one of the worms up, drop it at your vet and have them give it a look under a microscope and call you.
If she was wormed for, say, roundworms, and the vet says yep, it's a roundworm, this is good. Roundworms look kind of like spaghetti.
If she was given tapeworm medicine (probable if she has had a flea problem), the segments will be rice shaped. If the vet says "guess what, those are tapeworms" it's gross but no one (cats or humans) should get sick/die/etc.

We once had a kitten so full of roundworms, that upon worming he passed so many that the litter pan was practically running away. Talk about a :barf:moment. I've seen a lot, but that made me sick.
Another time we had a kitten so infested with fleas that his initial bath water was tomato red colored from flea dirt/excreta. I was sick. His tapeworm load was huge, but the vet helped us get him into tip top shape. He found a great home and is healthy as a little horse.

If he's passing worms, he might need some extra nutrition and extra food. If you're feeding dry food, keep the bowl full, and if he likes wet food, offer as much as his little heart desires.

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What was she wormed for, and (gross as it is) was the worm a spaghetti shape, a rice shape, etc?

If she sleeps on your bed, keep your bedding washed reasonably (not obsessively, no need to wash every 10 minutes or something).
I wouldn't wake the kids up for this. I can't count how many wormy kittens I grew up playing with/sleeping beside/hanging out with. Worse I got was ringworm, which is fungal, not a real worm. :)
She might need a re-worming medicine in a few weeks, as the cycle can repeat if she has a big load in her.
Worms are not an unheard of problem. We've yet to bring in kittens or adults without worms of some sort, and it sounds gross and all but it's really not so uncommon.
Watch her, don't freak out, call your vet on Monday and tell them what you saw.
If you're not sure, bag one of the worms up, drop it at your vet and have them give it a look under a microscope and call you.
If she was wormed for, say, roundworms, and the vet says yep, it's a roundworm, this is good. Roundworms look kind of like spaghetti.
If she was given tapeworm medicine (probable if she has had a flea problem), the segments will be rice shaped. If the vet says "guess what, those are tapeworms" it's gross but no one (cats or humans) should get sick/die/etc.

We once had a kitten so full of roundworms, that upon worming he passed so many that the litter pan was practically running away. Talk about a :barf:moment. I've seen a lot, but that made me sick.
Another time we had a kitten so infested with fleas that his initial bath water was tomato red colored from flea dirt/excreta. I was sick. His tapeworm load was huge, but the vet helped us get him into tip top shape. He found a great home and is healthy as a little horse.

If he's passing worms, he might need some extra nutrition and extra food. If you're feeding dry food, keep the bowl full, and if he likes wet food, offer as much as his little heart desires.

Thank you for the reply!
The vet said she felt like she was full of roundworms so I’m sure that’s what he dewormed for. She passed dried up spaghetti in her poop the following day after the vet.
From what research I can find I’m pretty positive this was a tapeworm segment. Was small rice like, but was very active. Almost like it was searching for something.
She used to be infested with fleas, she had been flea free for 2 weeks.
I’ll wash bedding in morning and contact vet on Monday. I just am worried because it says children are most infected. I have a 1 and 2 year old who sleep in bed with me and kitty. And they stick there hands in there mouth a lot.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!
The vet said she felt like she was full of roundworms so I’m sure that’s what he dewormed for. She passed dried up spaghetti in her poop the following day after the vet.
From what research I can find I’m pretty positive this was a tapeworm segment. Was small rice like, but was very active. Almost like it was searching for something.
She used to be infested with fleas, she had been flea free for 2 weeks.
I’ll wash bedding in morning and contact vet on Monday. I just am worried because it says children are most infected. I have a 1 and 2 year old who sleep in bed with me and kitty. And they stick there hands in there mouth a lot.
That concern is noted and understandable.
If anything, keep them as separate as possible tomorrow/tomorrow night, and contact your vet. If you're very concerned, call the kids pediatrician and give them a heads up as to what's going on.
Keeping a 1 and 2 year old somewhat separate from their pet will be no easy thing. But you might tell them that their kitty isn't sick, but isn't feeling their best and needs to rest, and talk to them about how they feel if they have a cold or something.
You could even get creative and help them make "get well soon, Kitty" cards tomorrow, if time allows. Kids love feeling of taking action, and in +/-20 years, you'll cherish those cards.
Be smart, and you'll be fine. :sunshine:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, ask for a tapeworm medication tomorrow. Since you've been to the vet recently they may not need to see her again and might just sell you the meds with instructions on how to use it. It's not an emergency but of course you want to get rid of those nasty parasites.

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I will admit I was freaking out most of the night but I think I’m good now! Lol
Still a little worried because my kids won’t stay away from her! And toddlers like to eat their fingers constantly.
I keep catching my youngest putting her face right next to hers. She doesn’t listen, hopefully they aren’t easy to catch from contact.
My vet has an online pharmacy and I seen tablets for tape worms available for purchase on there but I am going to wait till I talk to my vet!

Attachments

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE

VET said he gave her such a small dose that it probably wasn’t enough because he was worried about how tiny she was. So today we went in and got another dose. Hopefully this does it!