New Kitty Poop/food

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i recently brought home a 8 week old kitty. She is extremely small for her age. The person I got her from sent me with some of the wet food they had (they said they fed her whatever they were able to so nothing consistent, the cheapest wet food pretty much they could find) well she wasn’t eating it so I went and bought some grain free Purina beyond food and she loved it. Well the first 2 nightsher poop was fine, kinda stringy but she is super tiny. After I started her on the new food she poops the same amount but it’s super soft Poo and super stinky. It’s only been 24 hours. Is this normal? What should I do? Since she is so small I have been keep her litter box in the bedroom with us and it’s disgusting lol.
Any advice is appreciated thanks!

Also wanted to add after I read that u are suppose to transition to new food I mixed a little of the old with the new and she wouldn’t have anything to do with. The next feeding just the new and she ate it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's very possible she has parasites, as many tiny kittens do. Has she visited the Vet lately, just for a general check-up? Any new kitty or puppy should have a check-up and start getting their initial vaccinations. (unless the place you got her from already did that, but I'm doubting it since it sounds like they didn't have much money)

This issue could also be from stress. New home, no cat mama anymore, no siblings anymore. Her entire world has been turned upside down, so I imagine she could have some gastric distress.

As to a slow transition to new food, that's mainly if it's dry food.

Good luck with your new girl! We love pictures, especially of kittens!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I’m sure she needs dewormed, but since her poop was normal at first and only did this when I switched her foods I thought maybe it was something else. Unfortunately my vet can’t see us till the 16th to get shots, dewormer, and general checkup, etc.

I was told that the mama cat pretty much abandoned it and that is why she is so small. Siblings didn’t really have nothing to do with her also.
As for the stress, kitty seems relieved to me, I feel like she’s thankful! Her home before was definitely not ideal.
The beyond Purina is a grain free wet food. I do not believe she is able to even eat hard food yet.

I thought worms caused white poop? Sorry I really only know basic care of cats.

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry wasn’t sure how the upload photos thing works.

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now I can’t even get her to eat this food. She ate it fine this morning. I gave her 1/4 can at 7am and about 1/4 more at noonish. She has refused both times I have tried to feed her tonight. But she keeps trying to eat my daughter chips and looks as if she is scavenging for food on the floor....also is doing a hungry meow.

Suggestions??

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is pate? I am unable to get to a store probably until Monday

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pate is the kind of canned food that looks like it's all ground up or smooth, no chunks.

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will look into it Monday. The food I have to I smashed until it was mush to thinking that would help and that didn’t work. I think she was probably fed table scraps, and that’s what she wants now. She’s just so tiny I wish she would eat. She weights a little under 1 lb

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help also!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat Demi first came here, he was only about 6 weeks old, and he could only eat Pate for canned food and Purina Kitten Chow for dry food.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in love with her! So adorable!

You could try making her some kitten glop, there are lots of different recipes online, and most of the ingredients are staples in lots of homes.

Putting some tuna water on her food to stink it up a bit might help.

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay she ate finally and pooped right after. Looks as if it’s getting thicker, but def still mushy. And stinkier then you could ever imagine. I know poop is suppose to be stinky but this is not a normal poop smell.
Do worms make poop stink as well?
Sorry tmi.

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think next weekend I will introduce dry food for dinner. Maybe she just doesn’t want the same food all day.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She may have a paraside like coccidia or giardia. The vet will run a test on a fecal sample to determine if that's what's going on. This would be a separate test on top of checking for worms.

What color is her poop?

(It may also be the food/transition.)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's adorable :loveeyes:.

You can try giving her some scrambled eggs if you can't get to the store today and she's acting hungry. They have lots of protein. If you can cook them in unsalted butter, that would be best, but even salted in ok because you don't need much.

Fancy Feast makes a canned kitten food. Were you able to find any recipes for Kitten Glop? If not, here's a thread that actually links to some recipes: Kitten Glop

Also, since you mentioned you only know the basics about cats, here are a few more threads for you:

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

The 4 Most Common Worms That Can Make Your Cat Sick

Cdm2018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may have a paraside like coccidia or giardia. The vet will run a test on a fecal sample to determine if that's what's going on. This would be a separate test on top of checking for worms.

What color is her poop?

(It may also be the food/transition.)
Her poop is a normal poop brown not to light and not to dark. It switches up from watery to mushy, to cow pie-ish. I’m not sure what to do it’s going on day three and she poops 4-5 times a day, it gets all over the back of her legs :(
I am thinking about stopping the food I’m giving her now. I feel like it has to be that. A couple reviews on amazon say that it gave their cats bad diarrhea as well.