New kitty on our porch

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby doesn't want me to take Little Kitty to the vet. We already have 2 cats we are taking care of inside our house, and healthwise and everything else (which isn't cheap as everyone knows) and we can't afford a third cat. We wouldn't have chosen to get a third cat if it'd been our choice. I don't know. He doesn't want to "officially own" this cat. I don't blame him. I guess we're going to just keep feeding her/him. I don't know what else to do. The porch is comfortable and big and cushions on the furniture the kitty sleeps on and sheltered from the rain. I don't know.
Getting him neutered would be beneficial not only to him, but to the entire neighborhood. alleycat.org may have sources of help to suggest. Some communities still have free/low-cost spay/neuter vouchers. You might search that in your local area. I pray you can at least do this for him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you sure she is fixed? At this point, you are her source of food and she is familiar with your house and one vet visit would not be that expensive. If you can't keep her, is she sociable enough to rehome?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm positive she's spayed, she has a very obvious ear knick. You can't miss it. I think someone did a TNR with her and dropped her off on our property instead of where they found her. I'm glad they had her spayed but dropping her off at our house causes a problem. Sounds crazy but we never saw her before until she showed up with the knick, and other people have dropped off pets on our property, and we're not even in the "country". Folks pulled up one day in a van and dropped off 3 roosters. And there's now 2 black cats, who are howling at 5 am, they came from nowhere. We don't even own this house, we're renting a modest 2 bedroom, and pets keep showing up. What is it about our house? The big front porch? The sheltered carport? How many more pets can we take in on our budget?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm positive she's spayed, she has a very obvious ear knick. You can't miss it. I think someone did a TNR with her and dropped her off on our property instead of where they found her. I'm glad they had her spayed but dropping her off at our house causes a problem. Sounds crazy but we never saw her before until she showed up with the knick, and other people have dropped off pets on our property, and we're not even in the "country". Folks pulled up one day in a van and dropped off 3 roosters. And there's now 2 black cats, who are howling at 5 am, they came from nowhere. We don't even own this house, we're renting a modest 2 bedroom, and pets keep showing up. What is it about our house? The big front porch? The sheltered carport? How many more pets can we take in on our budget?
I don't want to bring bad news, but an ear snip does not necessarily mean she is spayed. A vet visit would be extremely important and helpful. And if you can get the two little panfurs neutered, likewise, for them, for you, and for the community.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I talked to our vet, and other sources, about what we could do with Little KItty on the porch. I doesn't look good about re-homing her. they said the shelters are full up with cats and they don't want anymore. they won't even talk to you, leave a message. So we are stuck with having to cover up the two windows in our front room that front our porch, so the cats won't fight with each other thru the windows. Why did this have to happen? Things were peaceful! Was peace too much to ask?. I didn't ask for a cat to be dropped on our porch and cause havoc with our cats and upset them. Why did whoever did that that think that was okay? Like it wouldn't have repercussions?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talked to our vet, and other sources, about what we could do with Little KItty on the porch. I doesn't look good about re-homing her. they said the shelters are full up with cats and they don't want anymore. they won't even talk to you, leave a message. So we are stuck with having to cover up the two windows in our front room that front our porch, so the cats won't fight with each other thru the windows. Why did this have to happen? Things were peaceful! Was peace too much to ask?. I didn't ask for a cat to be dropped on our porch and cause havoc with our cats and upset them. Why did whoever did that that think that was okay? Like it wouldn't have repercussions?
Compassion and caring for the cat should always be first priority. The cat cannot help being there. It is certainly not the cat's fault. Covering the windows is a minor inconvenience. We are in the middle of a raging pandemic and the last Surgeon General made spay/neuter/TNR "elective" rather than the essential lifesaving service it is and should be. As a result, yes, shelters are overwhelmed, as are the streets and those of us who care about and advocate for the cats. Everyone who is financially and compassionately able needs to get involved in caring for the innocent cats. Private citizens are waiting MONTHS to get their own cats spayed and neutered. It is a crisis, as is the pandemic. We all need to be patient and to do what we can to care for those we can.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to log off the cat site. It's not helping us. I love cats, totally love them. But there are humans involved here. Nobody on this site seems to care about human or what we are going thru to take care of cats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to log off the cat site. It's not helping us. I love cats, totally love them. But there are humans involved here. Nobody on this site seems to care about human or what we are going thru to take care of cats.
I am sorry to hear that and sorry if my post was harsh. I have always prioritized cats above anyone else. I understand that not everyone does this. I pray that the cats will be safe.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry Tarasgirl06, we are just frustrated because we had a peaceful cat situation and someone dropped this kitty off and threw everything off. Now there's fights we didn't have before. We didn't ask for it, and it's thrown off our kitty balance. I'm kinda mad about it to be honest. Thank you for your understanding -Beth

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry Tarasgirl06, we are just frustrated because we had a peaceful cat situation and someone dropped this kitty off and threw everything off. Now there's fights we didn't have before. We didn't ask for it, and it's thrown off our kitty balance. I'm kinda mad about it to be honest. Thank you for your understanding -Beth
I got that. I know life is unpredictable and more and more stressful all the time; I've had a lot of situations I wasn't prepared for either, some of them involving cats. Two locations ago, when my ex and I were together, there were many community cats who were unspayed/unneutered and we took it upon ourselves to earn their trust, get them checked out, vaccinated and neutered, and either join our family or in the case of some very young kittens, adopt via a friend who did TNR/rescue/adoptions. Of course these situations were not asked for, but my #1 concern and priority then, as it always will be, is the wellbeing of the CATS. If everyone stepped up and took personal responsibility to care for and about the cats in their neighborhoods, there would not BE a feline overpopulation crisis. It takes a village. And the village is every one of us.