New kitty on our porch

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have been feeding a kitty that showed up on our porch. We think it's a girl but not sure. We're calling her Little Kitty. She has a knicked ear, we think she's been taken to the vet, fixed and released. But what is weird is that she's socialized, not completely ferel. You can pet her, and brush her. She loves attention. She'll roll around on the porch so you can pet her. But we have 2 cats inside our house, and our cats have lots of windows to look out of for entertainment, and Little Kitty on the porch hates our cats. Little Kitty jumps at the windows and hits her paws hard against the glass towards our cats. Little Kitty hits hard on the glass, it's loud. Our cats hiss back at her. So I don't know what we're going to do with her. Keep feeding her of course. We gave her worming medicine, because I thought her tummy seemed too hard. And we put Advantage flea meds on her. Our 2 indoor cats are so spoiled and relaxed, I wonder if interacting with Little Kitty on the porch is traumatic or is it "interesting" to our cats, excitement? Is it good or bad? I hope this isn't stressing our cats out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If this has not been going on for a long time, the cats are probably in some sort of a stressful introduction period. It does sound as if it might not be all fun and games right now, but I have brought cats into the house, by necessity, with no chance for any introduction and eventually it all worked out. I would give that part of the problems a little time.

She certainly may be a feral who is not unwilling to be friendly to people since she may associate people with food. Even if she is, I have had ferals completely "cross over" into becoming entire house pets. She may be abandoned or dumped, in which case she definitely knows that people offer food and shelter. It is kind of you to have taken such an interest in her. Is the ear tip missing, even slightly? If so, she is probably a TNRed cat, which does not necessarily mean that she is a feral. If this looks more like a wound or tear, you might want to see if you can get her checked to see if she is fixed.

Do you want to bring her in at some point?

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Fionas mom, thank you for your reply : ) You guys are so nice!

I don't think I can bring Little Kitty into our house. I'm too scared of what our cats would feel. I wish I could. She
is really cute.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is very understandable. Can you make or buy a shelter for her which can be put on the porch or in a location where your cats won't be bothered too much. You may find that they all lose interest in each other over time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will get used to each other in time, cats do not like strangers at first coming on to their territory, and your new little one is trying to establish some. Whether it is a boy or a girl, the notched ear usually means it is neutered and released back. She may have been a dumped cat who showed up at a colony and someone had her fixed. A true feral usually has nothing to do with humans, so I would bet she is a stray that had a home at one time. I would build her a shelter, you can get heated ones for winter on Amazon, Walmart, online. she would be good to keep other cats away and keep the mice population down.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been feeding a kitty that showed up on our porch. We think it's a girl but not sure. We're calling her Little Kitty. She has a knicked ear, we think she's been taken to the vet, fixed and released. But what is weird is that she's socialized, not completely ferel. You can pet her, and brush her. She loves attention. She'll roll around on the porch so you can pet her. But we have 2 cats inside our house, and our cats have lots of windows to look out of for entertainment, and Little Kitty on the porch hates our cats. Little Kitty jumps at the windows and hits her paws hard against the glass towards our cats. Little Kitty hits hard on the glass, it's loud. Our cats hiss back at her. So I don't know what we're going to do with her. Keep feeding her of course. We gave her worming medicine, because I thought her tummy seemed too hard. And we put Advantage flea meds on her. Our 2 indoor cats are so spoiled and relaxed, I wonder if interacting with Little Kitty on the porch is traumatic or is it "interesting" to our cats, excitement? Is it good or bad? I hope this isn't stressing our cats out.
T Texaskitty Thank you for feeding her and caring about her! As other posters have said, cats who are abandoned or who are allowed out may get picked up and spayed/neutered, at which point the vet may ear-tip him or her. I did this two locations ago with every cat who came into our yard (the spay/neuter, not the ear-tipping). Advantage is the only flea topical I trust and would ever buy, so good on ya for that! I wouldn't give any drugs or medicine unless you know it's needed (i.e., the wormer). Let a vet test for that. It's a simple test and at that point (s)he can advise. You can certainly buy tapeworm tabs OTC but again, I would hold off unless she needs them. These are very harsh treatments.
She may NOT be spayed, too, which may be why she's rolling around. Female cats do this when they are in heat. So if you can and are willing, a vet visit, please! If she is intact and you can get her spayed, plus her baseline innoculations, she may be able to be integrated into your furmily. Any intro takes time. You can look at Jackson Galaxy "The Cat Daddy" videos on YouTube for more on this and how properly to intro a new cat into your family. She is definitely NOT feral at all.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when we brought in Lil Bit(real name Sweetie Face) last winter when she tried to freeze to death we kept her in a pet carrier and let our cats get used to her for a while letting her out only for 3-4 potty trips and drinks for the first week or so feeding her in the pet carrier and feeding indoor kids a can of food nearby affter about a week and a half she was established and my Marie was careing for her as she was only about 4 months old marie took to grooming her and just generally sticking up for her to her brothers. so dont give up yu never know they my take to kitty affter a bit.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
99.999% of cats are going to be aggressive upon first getting to know new family members. It's how they do things. To show who'swho and who's the boss. I typically will keep the newbie in a separate room for the week and do slow intros. It's up to you if you bring her/him in. But sounds like the little one found and chose you. ;) As they often do. Just know it's always stressful in the beginning for everyone. But the needy make the best companions.💞

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thank you for everyone's replies, I really appreciate it. My husband thinks the cats might get used to each other, over time, thru fussing at each other thru the glass. I'm not convinced yet but he might be right. He thinks our inside cats might actually be enjoying it, in a way. Like it's something exciting. If our cats wanted to get away from Little Kitty's hostility towards them on the porch, all they'd have to do is move away from the window, and sit somewhere else, but they sit there and stare out watching. I think I'm going to take Little Kitty to the vet. We're on a budget but it might only be about a $100 for exam, booster on rabies and check for parasites. I don't think that wormer I gave her was the right one, I still think her tummy is too firm, but husband thinks it's because she's gaining weight from being fed well. We'll see!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thank you for everyone's replies, I really appreciate it. My husband thinks the cats might get used to each other, over time, thru fussing at each other thru the glass. I'm not convinced yet but he might be right. He thinks our inside cats might actually be enjoying it, in a way. Like it's something exciting. If our cats wanted to get away from Little Kitty's hostility towards them on the porch, all they'd have to do is move away from the window, and sit somewhere else, but they sit there and stare out watching. I think I'm going to take Little Kitty to the vet. We're on a budget but it might only be about a $100 for exam, booster on rabies and check for parasites. I don't think that wormer I gave her was the right one, I still think her tummy is too firm, but husband thinks it's because she's gaining weight from being fed well. We'll see!
THANK YOU for getting her an exam! and hopefully the vet can suss out if she has worms and if so, what to treat her with. It's important not to just guess on things like that, because wormers are pretty harsh.
I agree with your husband! Contrary to popular old wives' tales, cats are social and many of them love companionship of their own kind. There are lots of great tutorials on introducing a new cat to the family and lots of good information on the subject. Hoping Little Kitty has a good bill of health and that she can join your family!

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My hubby took a video of Little Kitty playing with a toy on our porch, I'm going to ask him to send it to my gmail so I can post it. It's really cute, totally adorable. I hope I can get it posted. But I'm not really great at that stuff.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My avatar Lily and her almost identical sister Chiquita were born as ferals to an extremely feral set of parents. Their relationship with Jamie began at a glass door and now they are indoor only pets and Jamie's best friends.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My avatar Lily and her almost identical sister Chiquita were born as ferals to an extremely feral set of parents. Their relationship with Jamie began at a glass door and now they are indoor only pets and Jamie's best friends.
"Cat" is the operative word, not "feral" contrary to popular mindset. Suha was also born feral. She is only bonded to me, and she is extremely sweet, if fierce. We are enjoying 16 years of love and happiness together!

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy the two of you are willing to take a chance on her amber bring her in. For 1/2 of me they got used to our home the first week in our bedroom with no kitties, just us. Then we did slow intros at the door to be able to control any aggression. Then eventually let out. But we once had a feral that took 2 weeks to come out of his cage,quick sat in a large walk-in closet. Another 3weeks to even come out of there. 1mo before he'd climb obi our bed.
He's a perfect little boy now. Never again have to worry about the outside life. His first vet snipped his man parts, and later told me his entire body is covered in old scars. And that all 4 fang teeth are broken off at the base. My sweet boy will never again have to live that way again. Now he gives tender love and purs just in looking at him. It took 3 full months to get that feral side completely out of him. There's no greater love, than that of a feral gives you. Truly. I hope this wonderful feeling comes too you both.
P.S.- Sorry if I'm rambling, the Ambien's kicking in.😂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy the two of you are willing to take a chance on her amber bring her in. For 1/2 of me they got used to our home the first week in our bedroom with no kitties, just us. Then we did slow intros at the door to be able to control any aggression. Then eventually let out. But we once had a feral that took 2 weeks to come out of his cage,quick sat in a large walk-in closet. Another 3weeks to even come out of there. 1mo before he'd climb obi our bed.
He's a perfect little boy now. Never again have to worry about the outside life. His first vet snipped his man parts, and later told me his entire body is covered in old scars. And that all 4 fang teeth are broken off at the base. My sweet boy will never again have to live that way again. Now he gives tender love and purs just in looking at him. It took 3 full months to get that feral side completely out of him. There's no greater love, than that of a feral gives you. Truly. I hope this wonderful feeling comes too you both.
P.S.- Sorry if I'm rambling, the Ambien's kicking in.😂
GOOD on you for getting your sweet guy vetted, neutered, and a good loving, safe indoor life with your family! *We love pictures here, by the way* ;)

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I couldn't get pictures to download. I'm newly retired and was used to my work computer. Now I can't figure out my home computer. Little Kitty's going to the vet soon, but there is something else I wanted to talk about and I guess I should start a new thread. But us cat owners maybe should watch out when our cats are sleeping next to our head. Aria was sleeping with her butt on my hand, on the pillow next to my head, and she heard something and took off and she put 2 deep claw punctures in my hand. It bled a lot (a lot) but it's going to be okay, not infection. It was my hand, but it could have been my face, or my eye! Now when Aria or Buddy are sleeping near my head, I pull a chunk of comforter over between them and my head.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't get pictures to download. I'm newly retired and was used to my work computer. Now I can't figure out my home computer. Little Kitty's going to the vet soon, but there is something else I wanted to talk about and I guess I should start a new thread. But us cat owners maybe should watch out when our cats are sleeping next to our head. Aria was sleeping with her butt on my hand, on the pillow next to my head, and she heard something and took off and she put 2 deep claw punctures in my hand. It bled a lot (a lot) but it's going to be okay, not infection. It was my hand, but it could have been my face, or my eye! Now when Aria or Buddy are sleeping near my head, I pull a chunk of comforter over between them and my head.
SMART. Just like with people, better safe than sorry! No one is in control when they're asleep and unconscious.

Are you having any luck with photos? Just hit "ATTACH FILES" under the comment box and pick your source.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My hubby doesn't want me to take Little Kitty to the vet. We already have 2 cats we are taking care of inside our house, and healthwise and everything else (which isn't cheap as everyone knows) and we can't afford a third cat. We wouldn't have chosen to get a third cat if it'd been our choice. I don't know. He doesn't want to "officially own" this cat. I don't blame him. I guess we're going to just keep feeding her/him. I don't know what else to do. The porch is comfortable and big and cushions on the furniture the kitty sleeps on and sheltered from the rain. I don't know.