New Kitty Felv +. Unethical Breeder. Help.

BelSognare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I found out today my 17 week old kitten is FeLV+. I am devastated and angry. She likely contracted it from her mother, thanks to the irresponsible breeder. What can I do? I believe this breeder is producing other sick cats.

Background
So this all starts off with me wanting a lifelong companion. I have had cats in the past; all rescues. The last cat I adopted was 15 year old senior with no teeth, Spencer, from the shelter. He was a great little guy. Unfortunately, a few months later he suddenly got sick and I had to put him to sleep. He pasted away from lymphoma. It has been about a year. It was hard losing him...

After losing Spencer so soon, this time I wanted to try adopting a kitten. A companion I can enjoy for many years. After researching breeds I was really attracted to Persians. I never had a pedigree cat before nor a kitten. The Persian breed seemed perfect for my small living space.

The Breeder
I found a CFA breeder somewhat close to me. I asked her questions regarding her cats specifically about their health histories and she assured me (verbally and in email) that they were all healthy (and negative for PKD) and many of her cats lived past the age of 18. I took her word for it. I should have asked to see evidence though. I should have asked for her Vet's number. She seemed professional. Had her own website. She was certified. She would send me pictures about once a week. I was so mistaken....I just didn't think people like HER existed. I didn't think people could be so cruel as to breed DISEASED animals....

Anyway, I can't change my lack of research. I have the cat now and she is FeLV+. She hasn't been exposed to any other cats since I had her, nor has she ever been outside. So this came from the breeder. She's showing no signs of distress currently. Appears healthy. I'm worried though about what other problems she may have. I'm going to do my best though, to give her the best life I can. HOWEVER....

I want this breeder reported. After looking up her cattery. I found a facebook page of the cattery, with a total of 4 reviews. There were two reviews that were recently left (one just a few hours ago) that gave her 1 star. They are absolutely terrifying. One reviewer said her cat died at the age of 3 from heart failure, and another person is having problems with her 1 year old. Said a tooth grew through the center of her mouth, had rodent ulcers when she bought her, and has Polycystic kidney disease (An inherited disorder). I believe there must be more people out there with issues.

What do I do?
Who do I report this breeder too? CFA, the Humane Society, Better Business Bureau, animal control? She was going to let me pick Marmalade up at 8 weeks. That right there goes against CFA breeding standards. She has litters almost monthly. She has one now. I'm so sad for them and their prospective families.

I have contacted her about this today. I was calm. Something though was off about her, She seemed high to be blatantly honest. She didn't sympathize with me at all. She was stumbling over her words, dodging questions, and said she'll get back to me about refunding me.

I do know my kitty can have a false positive. But I feel like that is less likely from what I am discovering from this breeder. I am taking Marmalade to the vet in 6 weeks for a more accurate test.

If anyone has experience, and knowledge about this type of situation please leave a comment. I am also considering suing this breeder if I receive no refund. I did sign a contract. It says I have a year from date of purchase to receive refund or replacement for any heredity issues. I know her issue currently, is unfortunately viral. But I will still try to sue anyway. Maybe they can investigate her for abuse.

Sorry by the way for all the bad news. I am so disgusted.

****I am not going to list or advertise the breeder and her cattery. I understand thecatsite's privacy polices, and I do not want any legal troubles for this website***

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my! Poor Kitty and poor you. That is just a horrible situation all around.

My advice is to contact a lawyer. I am not one nor do I pretend to be but I would assume you have a case for breach of contract at the very least. You may be able to get health costs paid as a violation of the health clause if it says diseases are tested for. You'd have to talk to your lawyer and things vary by state but you may be able to get a refund on her cost and still keep her. I know I've heard of people suing breeders and getting refunds or partial refunds along with keeping their animals. Although since animals tend to be considered property and your essentially saying the property is damaged some judges have said return the animal too. It really depends on too many factors for us to know in this setting. But hitting someone in their pocket book is usually the most effective place.

Beyond that you should report to CFA and the Better Business Bureau. You can also post to any review forums but be careful to stick to just the facts and no emotional embellishments. Which you have here rather well but you want to be sure it can't be turned around as you hurting them. Another aspect that a lawyer could help you with.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I found out today my 17 week old kitten is FeLV+. I am devastated and angry. She likely contracted it from her mother, thanks to the irresponsible breeder. What can I do? I believe this breeder is producing other sick cats.

Background
So this all starts off with me wanting a lifelong companion. I have had cats in the past; all rescues. The last cat I adopted was 15 year old senior with no teeth, Spencer, from the shelter. He was a great little guy. Unfortunately, a few months later he suddenly got sick and I had to put him to sleep. He pasted away from lymphoma. It has been about a year. It was hard losing him...

After losing Spencer so soon, this time I wanted to try adopting a kitten. A companion I can enjoy for many years. After researching breeds I was really attracted to Persians. I never had a pedigree cat before nor a kitten. The Persian breed seemed perfect for my small living space.

The Breeder
I found a CFA breeder somewhat close to me. I asked her questions regarding her cats specifically about their health histories and she assured me (verbally and in email) that they were all healthy (and negative for PKD) and many of her cats lived past the age of 18. I took her word for it. I should have asked to see evidence though. I should have asked for her Vet's number. She seemed professional. Had her own website. She was certified. She would send me pictures about once a week. I was so mistaken....I just didn't think people like HER existed. I didn't think people could be so cruel as to breed DISEASED animals....

Anyway, I can't change my lack of research. I have the cat now and she is FeLV+. She hasn't been exposed to any other cats since I had her, nor has she ever been outside. So this came from the breeder. She's showing no signs of distress currently. Appears healthy. I'm worried though about what other problems she may have. I'm going to do my best though, to give her the best life I can. HOWEVER....

I want this breeder reported. After looking up her cattery. I found a facebook page of the cattery, with a total of 4 reviews. There were two reviews that were recently left (one just a few hours ago) that gave her 1 star. They are absolutely terrifying. One reviewer said her cat died at the age of 3 from heart failure, and another person is having problems with her 1 year old. Said a tooth grew through the center of her mouth, had rodent ulcers when she bought her, and has Polycystic kidney disease (An inherited disorder). I believe there must be more people out there with issues.

What do I do?
Who do I report this breeder too? CFA, the Humane Society, Better Business Bureau, animal control? She was going to let me pick Marmalade up at 8 weeks. That right there goes against CFA breeding standards. She has litters almost monthly. She has one now. I'm so sad for them and their prospective families.

I have contacted her about this today. I was calm. Something though was off about her, She seemed high to be blatantly honest. She didn't sympathize with me at all. She was stumbling over her words, dodging questions, and said she'll get back to me about refunding me.

I do know my kitty can have a false positive. But I feel like that is less likely from what I am discovering from this breeder. I am taking Marmalade to the vet in 6 weeks for a more accurate test.

If anyone has experience, and knowledge about this type of situation please leave a comment. I am also considering suing this breeder if I receive no refund. I did sign a contract. It says I have a year from date of purchase to receive refund or replacement for any heredity issues. I know her issue currently, is unfortunately viral. But I will still try to sue anyway. Maybe they can investigate her for abuse.

Sorry by the way for all the bad news. I am so disgusted.

****I am not going to list or advertise the breeder and her cattery. I understand thecatsite's privacy polices, and I do not want any legal troubles for this website***
What a terrible situation. I am not defending this breeder but please know sometimes even the most thoughtfully bred pure-bred animals end up with a genetic, inherited illness even if the parents were tested and healthy. It's why (in dogs) dogs with excellent rated hip x-rays can produce puppies with not good hips, etc.
The breeder should be willing to work with you. If she seemed high, that's suspect, but she might be shocked and flustered and unable to deal. (I hope the latter is the case instead of the former..) =/

She should return your inquiries within 48 hours IMO. If she does not, one more phone call, one more email, and then take it to the authorities. Until then assuming she's abusing her cats has no real basis for proof.
And of course, for the "just in case" situation that something goes off, keep excellent organization of your vet records and if it comes to this, alert your vet (and tell them to alert their staff) that there is this "situation" going on and they may be called upon to verify some of your claims.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kitten got vaccinations against felv it will show as felv+.

But if so the breeder should of course answer explain show the vet vacc recipe...
Yes, if the cat was vaccinated against it, the snap test they do in the clinic will show that either FELV or its antigens are present. So a follow up test, one that is usually sent out to a lab will tell you which it is.

That being said, you should have received shot records from the breeder. Sounds like that didn't happen. Do everything you can to report this person and good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BelSognare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for reading and for leaving me your kind advice.

I created that post the same day I found out about her results. My emotions and anger were heighten, because it's devastating. I had a horrible situation with my husband. I filed for divorce just a few months ago, and moved in May and left a job I really loved. So hearing Marmalade's diagnosis felt like I was getting hit by another truck.

Since my last post I have been reading up on FeLV. I did talk to the breeder. She's very shady, and I'm unsure if she's going to refund me, but I am taking marmalade to get retested in July. If she is positive again, I am going to do what I can to get my money back and also alert various organizations of this breeder.

I ultimately hope she does not have FeLV. I really do. And no she did not vaccinate Marmalade for FIV/FeLV. So the antibodies did not come from that.

Thank you all for listening, and my kind regards to your pets.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for reading and for leaving me your kind advice.

I created that post the same day I found out about her results. My emotions and anger were heighten, because it's devastating. I had a horrible situation with my husband. I filed for divorce just a few months ago, and moved in May and left a job I really loved. So hearing Marmalade's diagnosis felt like I was getting hit by another truck.

Since my last post I have been reading up on FeLV. I did talk to the breeder. She's very shady, and I'm unsure if she's going to refund me, but I am taking marmalade to get retested in July. If she is positive again, I am going to do what I can to get my money back and also alert various organizations of this breeder.

I ultimately hope she does not have FeLV. I really do. And no she did not vaccinate Marmalade for FIV/FeLV. So the antibodies did not come from that.

Thank you all for listening, and my kind regards to your pets.
I'm so sorry for everything you're going through!! =( When it rains it pours. But eventually it does get better.
Thanks for checking in..please let us know the results when the re-testing happens. :crossfingers::grouphug: