New kitty blues

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I've posted here before but I find i am having a lot of anxiety since i adopted my two furbabies.
On aug 1 i adopted two 12 week old kittens. I previously owed one cat who passed away in November. Right off the bat, we had diarrhea issues and this resulted in multiple vet visits over the first few weeks. This is also when my anxiety reared its ugly head. I started having panick attacks, was scared to be around them, lots of regret and feeling like a bad cat mom.
Things improved and i was starting to feel settled. Then there was a few vomitting incidents. Queue the anxiety. That didnt last as lond as the previous spell and i've been feeling prettu good...until yesterday. Kittens are now 16 weeka old. Yesterday my one cat didnt want his evening wet food (he ate wet food at breakfast and also had kibble). This morning still didnt really want it but was eating kibble. I increased the amout of probiotic in their breakfast yesterday which possibly put him off of the wet food. He also doea this thing where, when hes kind of half asleep, he will snuggle with me but meow constantly. I think hes calling for his sister as he doesnt stop until i put him in bed with her.
My anxiety is running high. I feel like im just watching them for the next thing to go wrong. I love having them. But i'm soooo tired. Kitten blues is real....but how long does it last??
Im travelling ti see my family this week and i hope this will help. The babies are staying at the pwt resort at my vets and i am looking forward to the break.
How do you deal with the kitten blues? Am i a bad cat mom?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The pandemic is definately contributing and my mom has been going through cancer treatments too. It's been a hard few months since my Apollo died in Nov

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It always happened to me as well whenever I took in a cat. It's quite a responsibility, taking care of yet another little life, but the rewards are great as well. It will get better with time.

Seems like every cat that came my way had to go to the vet for something shortly after their arrival (usually a cut on the nose related to introduction issues or an URI). It adds to the anxiety, but I've just learned to accept it.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also had it really bad when I first got my kittens. Luci had diarrhea so often, she was incredibly anxious the first couple of days, barely ate or drank. She'd only eat if I fed her by hand, I was scared of her going hungry or thirsty if I wasn't with her 24/7.
But in the end, it all turned out alright. Her bowel issues stopped after her sterilisation, which I really didn't expect. She started eating normally after a while, although she still loves the attention of getting fed by hand. And she's as confident as can be.
I think I've learned is that it takes some time to really get to know your kitten. I had so many moments of regret, feeling like I wasn't good enough and sometimes even resentment. It wasn't like in the movies, where you instantly fall in love and everything is alright afterwards. The kitten blues slowly subsided, until they were almost completely gone. It took a couple of weeks, but as they grow and become more independent it feels like they'll be able to handle more. There will still be moments where my anxiety peaks because they do something differently, but I know they know I'm here for them.
So hang in there! And don't feel bad about feeling this way. You're not a bad cat mum for wanting what's best for them, it only shows how much you care. There are some childhood things they can grow out of, kind of like how yours is calling out for their sibling. One of mine had a stuffed animal that she used to suckle on. She slowly grew out of it as she became more comfortable with the environment. I think this, however hard it might be, is something that'll take time.

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah its been hard. Like right now my one kitten, Orion, doesnt seem to want wet food (he gets pumpkin and probiotics in it) and its causing some anxiety. He still eats kibble. Artemis is also not eating as much wet food now. And orion has jad some soft stools. So i dunno. Im trying not to let my anxiety get the better or me because i know they can pick up on it. They are fine otherwise - play and run around. They see the vet on thirs for their final vaccines so ill talk to her. Thwy are also stay in the pet resort at the vets for 4 nights while im away

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why I've always only adopted adult cats. I am nervous being around them even when I'm doing my cat care shift at the rescue. Usually let someone else do the kitten room.

As for the the diarrhea, did you change their food from what they were eating? Also, sometimes you have to experiment to find a brand/flavor/style they'll like. When I first brought Cricket home I was a nervous wreck because I couldn't get her to eat anything. But it all worked out. Hang in there, it will all smooth out!

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were eating it previously but who knows. Because of all the issues i am nervous about changing their food.
I did increase the amount of probiotic one day this weekend...they ate that food but it was that night that orion didnt want it (no probiotics in the evening meal). So maybe the increase upset his stomach a bit. *shrugs*

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are like human babies. It is sometimes really so stressful taking care of them as we are afraid we'd break them, or hurt them, or feeling like we do not tend to them enough. But, if there are no health issues, all these will pass. Those kitties grow up too fast and soon, you will just have to watch them sleep or lounge all day and prefer to be left alone, and you may wonder where had all those needy kittens go? :)

The pandemic is definately contributing and my mom has been going through cancer treatments too. It's been a hard few months since my Apollo died in Nov
I am very sorry about your Mom and how tough you are going through right now. Hang in there. Those kitties would turn out to be the best comfort companions you will ever need. Just stay strong, breathe. Here's sending good vibes and prayers your way.

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And because i seem to love stressing myself out......i happened to notice Orion in the litter box and he seemed to have a really big pee *sigh* oh well, they go to the vet today

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Big pees" are good. Makes sure they're getting enough liquids in their diet. Two of my cats sound like somebody left the faucet running when they go in the box. I praise them when I hear it.

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its funny because my last guy would have big pees too ..but he would not drink.....it was like "where is it coming from???"

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i went to see my parents for a few days and the kittens stayed at a pet resort. We're all home now. I am feeling better, the time away helped me figure out some of my anxiety issues. Babies seem to be happy to be home, but they seem to be drinking a lot. Could just be me. Also i put their (powder) probiotic into their dry food so they probably have dry mouth :)