New Kittens

mommabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just had her kittens on valentines day !! :catlove: Dad (cat) is here as well. He didn't seem to want to harm the kittens he just sniffed them and carried on around the house as usual. Naturally she began moving the kittens under the couch. I have moved her and babies into a room of her own to nurse however, she has now taken 3 of the 6 kittens out of their box and keeps hiding them under the bed. She won't seem to come out while were in the room anyway other than poking out for us. I'm worried she isn't feeding the other 3 kittens left in the box. They are warm in their blanket and bed but will she come out to nurse them as well? She continues to remove them after we put them back in. Any suggestions?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Difficult to know for sure what exactly is going on. Is she abandoning some and why? Be sure you monitor them taking daily weights, to know if they are properly feed... Begin with 12 hours intervalls.
During the time, get home gears to handfeed them if necessary. Raw goats milk is very good, KMR in powder is a good kmr. A small syringe, miracle nipples are best say many.

The abandoned ones, being in just a blanket isnt always enough, as kittens that age cant control their own heat. So some sort of a heating pad is almost surely necessary.

M mommabella

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat just had her kittens on valentines day !! :catlove: Dad (cat) is here as well. He didn't seem to want to harm the kittens he just sniffed them and carried on around the house as usual. Naturally she began moving the kittens under the couch. I have moved her and babies into a room of her own to nurse however, she has now taken 3 of the 6 kittens out of their box and keeps hiding them under the bed. She won't seem to come out while were in the room anyway other than poking out for us. I'm worried she isn't feeding the other 3 kittens left in the box. They are warm in their blanket and bed but will she come out to nurse them as well? She continues to remove them after we put them back in. Any suggestions?
it is strange that she took NOT all the kittens :( maybe she feels that she is not enough milk :( stress can also affect this :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would move all the kittens to where ever she moved the few to. Mothers, especially new ones, can get overwhelmed and she may abandon those she left behind. As long as they are all together she should be alright. Don't stress her by moving the kittens back, try to make her comfortable where ever she decides to move them. Until they are a little older, reduce her stress, feed her kitten food until they are weaned, and watch out for another pregnancy. They can get pregnant anytime after the kittens are a week old, I had a cat that had litters only 70 days apart!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get dad neutered in the meantime (unless you are a breeder?), and do not let him around the kittens. Mom needs a stress free environment. Watch if she is feeding the 3 at all. My foster cat gave birth to 4 kittens, but the one that had a hard birth she kept ignoring. He passed away from fading kitten syndrome sadly. Wherever she moves them just make her comfortable.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please keep the male away from the mother and kittens esp if he is still intact. She can get pregnant again right away and he could harm the kittens to get to her. He can still get her pregnant for a month or so after being neutered too just FYI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all very much! I don't know why I didn't think of it that night I was just so worried. I put the other 3 kittens that were left out under the bed with her and the others and they're all doing just fine! :cloud9: We've just rearranged their bedding to fit and all of her things were already moved in so they've got their own room lol. Dad is not able to get around her or them.We were at appt for neuter/spay when we found out she was pregnant didn't want to end her pregnancy so we decided to wait for hers. Thank you all again so much for your responses!! ❤