new kittens wont come out of hiding

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yesterday i adopted 2 kittens (not from the same litter) plan was putting one kitten in the closet but someone in the fam accidently put them together. good news they didnt fight. they both then went under the couch. they wont come out. not even for food. one did go find another hiding spot and the other came out to use the litter box. i have a dog wired playpen that i used for my last cat. im thinking of putting them in there, i feel like they would have a better chance of eating then eating in the spots they're in now. any suggestions?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Since they're getting along ok, it's probably fine to keep them together. As long as they've both been vet checked, and had their shots, been dewormed, etc. If not, I'd suggest making an appointment soon, so that you can be sure one doesn't have anything that could spread to the other one.

As for hiding, that's not unusual. However, starting them out in one room, is recommended when bringing a new cat/kitten home. If they're still young, and still getting along, the dog playpen should be fine to start.

Here's a couple TCS articles with more info:
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment | TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home | TheCatSite

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They're 5 and 6 months old. All updated on deworming and shots. Appt is March 12
One kitten is in a tight spot that I cant even get her to put in playpen. Other one is under the couch so it'll be easier to get that one

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the kitten need to be in a play pin? Kittens would rather run around and play

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they're not getting along anymore. one is male, other is female. they're separated for now, the best they can be considering i live in a studio. male meows at night. the female is more of the instigator which doesnt make sense cause she lived with a dozen other cats before going into the shelter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We’re the kittens actually fighting or was it just hissing and slapping? Usually with young cats hissing evolves into playing and chasing in a day or two and It would be very unusual for a real fight to break out. So that is way it can be best just to leave them out and let each get used to the other. I would also suggest you watch some videos of cats play fighting so you can see what that looks like

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its hissing and growling. Right now they are separated. Should I wait a few days and reintroduce them or let the other out? The one that is locked up is also the one that's taking longer to get to used to me and the surroundings

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let the other out, key and eye on them and see what happens. Some hissing and growling is to be expected. I wouldn’t separate unless an actual fur flying fight breaks out or one seems to be getting really scared or stressed.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whizzy is starting to lose confidence around lily (the one who's growing and hissing). Last night he licked her and she hissed. Later both were on the couch sleeping when I was still up but on opposite sides of the couch. Should I leave them be? Dont know what to do. And like I said, lily came from a home with a dozen cats so idk why she's acting this way

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Whizzy is starting to lose confidence around lily (the one who's growing and hissing). Last night he licked her and she hissed. Later both were on the couch sleeping when I was still up but on opposite sides of the couch. Should I leave them be? Dont know what to do. And like I said, lily came from a home with a dozen cats so idk why she's acting this way
yes, leave them be. The lick meant he likes her and her response was a simple get a way. They are working it out and sleeping on the same couch is an excellent sign

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like they're working things out. :catlove:

Got any pics of the little cuties you can post. :camera:

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so that behavior is normal? i'll post pics as soon as i take better pics. lily, i have yet to see today. its 2pm now. still hiding.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, very normal behavior. She may not be hiding, just sleeping. Some cats just like small dark places to sleep.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lily, i have yet to see today. its 2pm now. still hiding.
Hmmm... as a worrier, I think I'd have tried to track her down. Just to make sure she's ok, and not locked in a closet, or something.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she came out about half an hour later. 230pm.i got down to sweep under bed and she was inside the wrapper thingy on the bottom of the box spring. she had ripped it and went inside. made sure she ate at least a little before she hid again.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She didn't waste any time figuring out that a great hiding place is the box spring! Glad she's safe though.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Up in the box spring seems to be the universal first choice for hiding. How they all seem to figure out if they tear a hole in the cloth covering it is a perfect spot is beyond me, but they do. But it is a safe spot that apparently makes them feel very secure