New Kittens - Breathing Fast

ConorG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I adopted two kittens from a cat rescue center 10 days ago - 2 brothers - they spent the first 6 weeks of their life outside and then with a foster family for a month. They are about 3 months old.

I have taken them to the vet - got wormed - had vaccinations etc

One has a very deep bad cough and is on antibiotics- Kesium.

The other when sleeping is breathing really, really fast I count over 60-70 breaths a minute. Is this normal?

Apart from that they play lots and have great appetites.

I may be over thinking - but lost my last Cat to FELV complications 6 weeks ago so want to make sure they are good.

Conor 02B037DA-5E1B-49F0-8330-4D58C6A669D3.jpeg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
No, breathing that rapidly in sleep isn’t normal. 20-30 a minute is most average for a healthy cat. Have you brought up the breathing to the vet? Any rattling in the lungs? If breathing (1 breath — in AND out) is really as high as 60-70 a min, I’d want the cat checked out asap. Any open mouth panting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ConorG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Maurey Maurey we only just noticed it - so never mentioned when in the vet. No rattling in the lungs just breathes really fast with his mouth shut. I will call the Vet tomorrow and see what they say. I did read on the internet about 30 a minute but was unsure if a young kitten was any different…

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to believe, if there was some serious fault on the kitten, and vet did a health check up, vet would notice. Especielly as bro is sick, and thus, there is always a possibility the other has a beginning of congestion.

Still, its wise to phone and ask; NOW they are his paying patients.

ConorG ConorG