New kitten

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Just wanting some advice on how to handle a new kitten in the household with a possibly territorial cat.
Some context:
I have a 7 year old siamese lilac point desexed female named Phoebe.
She is a very anxious girl.
My Phoebe has been in a house with another desexed female siamese, my mums cat Catherine. I had to move back home a few years ago due to housing issues. They got along, they had a few fights but were okay around each other most of the time, sitting near each other, even sitting on the same bed etc.
However.. my ex had a tortoise shell un desexed female cat, he brought her here to my home because he wanted to see if my cat would get along with her because he wanted to move in with me, my cat attacked on site and did not stop till we intervened and separated them, he had to put his cat outside and became a outside cat of the day, and would bring the tortoise shell into the shed at night for safety (my back yard is enclosed but there’s a male cat that roams at night and gets into my back yard which is why he had to bring her in at night). I have a window and sliding door the cats can see each other through and they still try fighting through the glass, safe to say my Phoebe does not like the domestic tortoise shell cat.
Now onto present:
I know someone who has to rehome her ragdoll un desexed female kitten because she’s allergic to her. She’s having a hard time finding a home for her because no one she knows likes cats excepts for me, and I’ve always wanted to get more cats especially a rag doll because they look like my Phoebe but I’m worried about my Phoebe rejecting them all.
I plan to keep them seperated, I will bring the kitten to Phoebe in a carrier to let her suss it out and scent her like my vet advised but I definitely do not plan on putting them in the same room until I know Phoebe won’t attack.

Do any of you have anymore advice for me? I really want them to like each other because I want the kitten to have a forever home, I feel sorry for it being so young having to find a new home and I don’t want to have to find a home for it yet again if my cat won’t accept it, will desexing the kitten help? I plan to do it either way though don’t worry.
Has anyone had a similar situation or a cat that seems to only like certain types of cats etc? Sorry for all the questions aha 😅

Photos of my Phoebe and the nameless kitten.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There is no guarantee, but doing proper introductions - and spaying - might work overtime to get Phoebe to accept the kitten. It can take weeks, even many months for some cats to adapt to each other. See if you can devise a plan using these TCS articles (see links below).

The 'golden' rule is to only move through the steps as fast as the slowest adapting cat.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My advice would be to NOT bring her to Phoebe in a carrier and to follow proper introduction protocol. For Phoebe to smell her scent, you bring the carrier to her without the kitten. Please see the links FeebysOwner posted.

Since Phoebe has bad experience with your mom's cat (occasional fighting), she will need a slower introduction, patience and time.

If the Tortie is still outside, that is going to negatively impact Phoebe's introduction to a new kitten. She should be brought in and a regular, slow introduction should be followed before you attempt to introduce anything else to Phoebe.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The best is to take your time as mentioned in the links already posted. If possible keep the kitten in a room for about a week or two before you allow Phoebe to meet her, that allows the kitten time to settle in. You can even allow them to swap places before meeting so they get their scents mixed and use to each others scents. Also I don't think the kitten being spayed or not really matters until they hit puberty, so as long as you get her spayed before then it's not really a factor in them getting along.

Another thing I've noticed, and it could be just the ones I've known, is Siamese do seem to get along best with other Siamese. I'm not saying they can't get along with other cats I'm just mentioning what I have seen from family and friends that have/had Siamese. That being said, there are a few breeds that do get along better with Siamese then other breeds, the ragdoll being one do to their temperament. Also in regards to your ex's cat, tortoiseshells tend to have an attitude ("tortitude"), even though it's just fur color not a breed for some reason they tend to be harder to get along with, and I would think especially so with a high strung breed like a Siamese.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My advice would be to NOT bring her to Phoebe in a carrier and to follow proper introduction protocol. For Phoebe to smell her scent, you bring the carrier to her without the kitten. Please see the links FeebysOwner posted.

Since Phoebe has bad experience with your mom's cat (occasional fighting), she will need a slower introduction, patience and time.

If the Tortie is still outside, that is going to negatively impact Phoebe's introduction to a new kitten. She should be brought in and a regular, slow introduction should be followed before you attempt to introduce anything else to Phoebe.

Hi
That was the advice my vet gave me because he knows my cat, that’s why I put it in my questions, if that isn’t proper protocol I won’t do it. The cats will be separated until I know my cat won’t attack, I’ll try everything in the links and videos.
Phoebes experience with my mums siamese was a positive one, cats sometimes fight, and they did 3 times max in the 2-3 years they spent together.
Phoebe is also not phased by the outdoor cat unless it gets too close to her at the window, and as one user stated, this is the typical behaviour of a torty. Unfortunately I don’t think phoebe will ever get along with the torty because she has already rejected her.
I’ll try my best with all the advice for the kitten. Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd advise that you get Nameless spayed as soon as your vet will do so. An unspayed female is going to smell "hormone-y" as she matures, and Phoebe obviously reacts to that. Even though Phoebe is spayed, she still has instincts that tell her to protect her territory from "other" breeding females. Spaying does not remove instincts.

At Nameless' age, she's going to have a much easier time with Phoebe than she would several months from now. There's something in adult cats that tends to prohibit them from viciously attacking a kitten. Take a look a this, perhaps it will help:

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite

And, please, let us know what Nameless' name ends up being!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!
You've got alot of great suggestions and advice here already ‐ informative articles to read & videos to watch so I'm not going to add anything to that

What I do want to impress upon you is "how " cats get to know each other and hopefully that will help you with the introduction process

You mentioned Pheobes " reaction:" to the tortie through the glass and mentioned " she has rejected her" - she has not rejected her nor will she be able to "accept " from " sight:" through glass.

You see,cats get to know each other by scent- a proper introduction begins solely with scent and not sight- through the glass they cannot get familiar with each others scent- this is very threatening to a cat and its an encroachment on their territory with no " introduction"

So the thing is- slowly,first scent before sight-I do hope that's helpful to you and also an encouraging word - you can begun again with Pheobe( inside the house)with the Tortie ( inside the housd)in separate rooms & start scent swapping with them unable to "see" one another

I think it's great thst you are willing to open your home to these kitties and in your heart you want them all to have a forever home- thats the best beginning and done properly you can all co-exist peacefully,they may not be besties but certainly they csn all " get along"❤

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
That was the advice my vet gave me because he knows my cat, that’s why I put it in my questions, if that isn’t proper protocol I won’t do it. The cats will be separated until I know my cat won’t attack, I’ll try everything in the links and videos.
Phoebes experience with my mums siamese was a positive one, cats sometimes fight, and they did 3 times max in the 2-3 years they spent together.
Phoebe is also not phased by the outdoor cat unless it gets too close to her at the window, and as one user stated, this is the typical behaviour of a torty. Unfortunately I don’t think phoebe will ever get along with the torty because she has already rejected her.
I’ll try my best with all the advice for the kitten. Thank you.
Cats fighting isn't normal and doesn't just happen sometimes ☺ that is misinformation as well.

Since proper introductions to the Torie wasn't tried, we also cannot say that she rejected her.

In any case it would be, in my opinion anyway, better to bring the cat she is already used to by sight and work with that cat, rather than attempt a new cat into the home and risk having to rehome that kitten a second time.

Let that kitten find it's forever home the first time. It will cause more damage to be rehomed many times and she could get trouble bonding.

Either way you are in for a LONG introduction. Plan for a year. Your current cat is "slow to warm". It may go faster, but set your expectations.

The reason why I mention having the Tortie outside now is because bringing any cat into your current cat's home is going to be a stress. Which means she could become, at least for a time reactive to any cat. Having the Tortie outside like that could cause her to take the stress of the kitten out at the Tortie or take the stress of the Tortie out on the kitten.

Lastly, because your cat is currently still having some reaction to the Tortie has you said, "when she gets too close to the glass", it will be irresponsible to integrate another cat to her as it's likely she will have deferred aggression onto the kitten. It's not kind to the kitten to live like that.

For this exact reason we didn't get a new kitten until after our neighbour moved and took their outdoor cat. The cat caused our Nobel to have deferred agression. I would never bring a kitten into a situation where there was high risk of that.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats fighting isn't normal and doesn't just happen sometimes ☺ that is misinformation as well.

Since proper introductions to the Torie wasn't tried, we also cannot say that she rejected her.

In any case it would be, in my opinion anyway, better to bring the cat she is already used to by sight and work with that cat, rather than attempt a new cat into the home and risk having to rehome that kitten a second time.

Let that kitten find it's forever home the first time. It will cause more damage to be rehomed many times and she could get trouble bonding.

Either way you are in for a LONG introduction. Plan for a year. Your current cat is "slow to warm". It may go faster, but set your expectations.

The reason why I mention having the Tortie outside now is because bringing any cat into your current cat's home is going to be a stress. Which means she could become, at least for a time reactive to any cat. Having the Tortie outside like that could cause her to take the stress of the kitten out at the Tortie or take the stress of the Tortie out on the kitten.

Lastly, because your cat is currently still having some reaction to the Tortie has you said, "when she gets too close to the glass", it will be irresponsible to integrate another cat to her as it's likely she will have deferred aggression onto the kitten. It's not kind to the kitten to live like that.

For this exact reason we didn't get a new kitten until after our neighbour moved and took their outdoor cat. The cat caused our Nobel to have deferred agression. I would never bring a kitten into a situation where there was high risk of that.
CrydallCatt CrydallCatt
I agree 100% with A Alldara

I have to say it's a bit confusing to figure out what you are trying to do here with no names - I'm pretty sure Pheobe is the resident Siamese ,the Tortie is outside and where is this " kitten"?

You can't introduce 2 new cats a resident cat ,especially bringing a little kitten into the mix thsts not been introduced to anyone-I think the kitten would most likely be the one to get everyone's redirected aggressions as Alldara mentioned

I don't know the layout of your home,,if you have the room to give each their own space to work with each then and the time to devote to each then thsts great- enclosures and kennels of adequate size or thst type of thing- so if you care to describe the layout and explain what exactly you were planning it might help....you mentioned your Mom,your boyfrienf- I'm not even sure of which cat belongs to which person or who lives where

I'd just hate to see a little kitten be caught up in all of this when he might do much better elsewhere,wouldn't you agree?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrydallCatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Just wanting some advice on how to handle a new kitten in the household with a possibly territorial cat.
Some context:
I have a 7 year old siamese lilac point desexed female named Phoebe.
She is a very anxious girl.
My Phoebe has been in a house with another desexed female siamese, my mums cat Catherine. I had to move back home a few years ago due to housing issues. They got along, they had a few fights but were okay around each other most of the time, sitting near each other, even sitting on the same bed etc.
However.. my ex had a tortoise shell un desexed female cat, he brought her here to my home because he wanted to see if my cat would get along with her because he wanted to move in with me, my cat attacked on site and did not stop till we intervened and separated them, he had to put his cat outside and became a outside cat of the day, and would bring the tortoise shell into the shed at night for safety (my back yard is enclosed but there’s a male cat that roams at night and gets into my back yard which is why he had to bring her in at night). I have a window and sliding door the cats can see each other through and they still try fighting through the glass, safe to say my Phoebe does not like the domestic tortoise shell cat.
Now onto present:
I know someone who has to rehome her ragdoll un desexed female kitten because she’s allergic to her. She’s having a hard time finding a home for her because no one she knows likes cats excepts for me, and I’ve always wanted to get more cats especially a rag doll because they look like my Phoebe but I’m worried about my Phoebe rejecting them all.
I plan to keep them seperated, I will bring the kitten to Phoebe in a carrier to let her suss it out and scent her like my vet advised but I definitely do not plan on putting them in the same room until I know Phoebe won’t attack.

Do any of you have anymore advice for me? I really want them to like each other because I want the kitten to have a forever home, I feel sorry for it being so young having to find a new home and I don’t want to have to find a home for it yet again if my cat won’t accept it, will desexing the kitten help? I plan to do it either way though don’t worry.
Has anyone had a similar situation or a cat that seems to only like certain types of cats etc? Sorry for all the questions aha 😅

Photos of my Phoebe and the nameless kitten.
Hi all, the person I was meant to get the kitten from ended up giving it to someone for their kid for Christmas, which I hope said parent of kid doesn’t get rid of the kitten when the kid loses interest when the kitten grows up, the whole reason I wanted to take her was to avoid the kitten being one those typical Christmas pets, my heart can’t handle the fact that people get animals as gifts and then rehome them when they get too complicated or too old for their kid.
I just wanted to clear things up too.
I have a spare bedroom the kitten was going to go into for a slow introduction to my resident cat Phoebe.
My ex’s cat is currently un spayed because he doesn’t have the money to pay for it and he’s also moving out early next year, it would be a waste of time trying to reintroduce his cat to mine at this point, im not saying I don’t have hope or I don’t want to, I would love for them to get along, but his cat isn’t going to be here for much longer or if at all.
My ex’s torty is currently at his ex’s and his children’s house so torty isn’t even here at the moment.
I can’t delete this thread for some reason as the advice is no longer needed now.
Thank you all for all the advice and I’m so sorry for wasting everyone’s time.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, the person I was meant to get the kitten from ended up giving it to someone for their kid for Christmas, which I hope said parent of kid doesn’t get rid of the kitten when the kid loses interest when the kitten grows up, the whole reason I wanted to take her was to avoid the kitten being one those typical Christmas pets, my heart can’t handle the fact that people get animals as gifts and then rehome them when they get too complicated or too old for their kid.
I just wanted to clear things up too.
I have a spare bedroom the kitten was going to go into for a slow introduction to my resident cat Phoebe.
My ex’s cat is currently un spayed because he doesn’t have the money to pay for it and he’s also moving out early next year, it would be a waste of time trying to reintroduce his cat to mine at this point, im not saying I don’t have hope or I don’t want to, I would love for them to get along, but his cat isn’t going to be here for much longer or if at all.
My ex’s torty is currently at his ex’s and his children’s house so torty isn’t even here at the moment.
I can’t delete this thread for some reason as the advice is no longer needed now.
You did not waste anyone's time- many people come to TCS with similar questions and issues looking for help,advice and are encouraged to find support and answers.....so never a waste of our time and always our pleasure to be there for a fellow cat lover

I'm sorry the little kitten was given as a Christmas present to a child,I get where you're coming from and feel the same way as you do- we can HOPE (& pray) that the family falls in love with the little furbaby and that he will have found a forever home of his own and have a great life

You have a big heart,you've done all you can do -unfortunately it's out of our control when there are other people involved and well,they're not your cats- I hope the ex takes good care of his Tortie....God Bless you and I do hope you'll stick around,we are glad you are here ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Never a waste of time to help someone with a cat issue. And while it has resolved itself for now, there may come a time in the future when it will come in handy for you!

And, don't worry about not deleting. The chances are very good that someone will be looking for advice in a similar situation, come here, and find just what they need! Happens all the time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As mentioned, this was not a waste of anyone's time at all.

Maybe you can ask the person who gave the kitten away to keep in touch with the new owners, and if there are any issues whatsoever that they get it back.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I didn’t read that the kitten was gone. Hopefully it was best to rehome the kitten.

Lots of people think cat introductions will be done in days or weeks. So telling people if will take months gives them more realistic expectations. Except baby kittens. Most adult cats accept baby kittens in days/weeks.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I didn’t read that the kitten was gone. Hopefully it was best to rehome the kitten.

Lots of people think cat introductions will be done in days or weeks. So telling people if will take months gives them more realistic expectations. Except baby kittens. Most adult cats accept baby kittens in days/weeks.
I agree- of course there are exceptions where for who knows what reason they simply like the new cat and poof,it works out unexpectedly

Typically- it takes alot of time ,patience and no sense in giving anyone unrealistic expectations - hope for the best but be prepared for the err ( not best,lol)