New kitten

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi we got a three month old kitten last week. We keep her confined to bedroom when we can’t be with her and family room when we are there. When do you let them roam around the house. We live in a split level and I feel I will lose her in a second she’s so small.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would have to install several litter boxes, at least one on each level, and temporarily on each end of the house. Kittens are not known to control their bladders very well, they are too intent on exploring. Inspect and kitten proof any areas she would be allowed to roam. For the first few times, I would follow her at a distance and see how she does, just so you know where she is. Make sure there are no holes that would allow her to escape into walls, etc. or dangling electrical cords to entice her. You might get a cat tree and set up a play area or room, she may spend more time in that area. A week or two should be enough for keeping her confined, just remember that kittens can and will get into everything!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Block access to anywhere your kitten can get into that’s difficult for you to get her out, before letting her roam.

I learned this the hard way:redcat:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When she is friendly to you and the house is cat proofed. If you let her roam before she is friendly to you, then yeah, you could lose her and she might hide somewhere bad. Every year or so, some poor soul posts about a scared cat hiding in the walls.

Its not a big deal to lose a kitten that is friendly to you for an hour or two. Where they can get in, they can get out. The places you need to be careful of are hiding in an open laundry machine or in the inner workings of a reclyner. Obvious disaster potential.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once I had my house kitten proof (mostly covering ALL electrical cords with plastic tubing), I let Tiny have roam of the house after about a week. She was about 4 months old, and I have a split level house as well. I still keep my office door closed, because there are way too many wires to cover in there, and she has shown a propensity for eating paper and files. :rolleyes: So, basically making sure the house is as kitten-proof as possible first as everyone mentioned above. Oh! Keep toilet lids closed too!