new kitten

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To answer the original question about counters. It may not be a popular way but Lulu had stepped on one of the burners while it was cooling off and burned her paw. I had tried different things to get them to not go on the counter and once she did that it became a safety issue. The thing that worked was slamming a cookie tray on the counter when Finn was up there. He shot off it like a rocket and has never gone back up. After Lulu burned her paw she never went up again. Lulu also closed the washing machine lid on her paw and has never gone up there again. They are smarter than you think. But she has been expensive with her antics!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To answer the original question about counters. It may not be a popular way but Lulu had stepped on one of the burners while it was cooling off and burned her paw. I had tried different things to get them to not go on the counter and once she did that it became a safety issue. The thing that worked was slamming a cookie tray on the counter when Finn was up there. He shot off it like a rocket and has never gone back up. After Lulu burned her paw she never went up again. Lulu also closed the washing machine lid on her paw and has never gone up there again. They are smarter than you think. But she has been expensive with her antics!
that is a good idea thank you

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we put salt and vinegar on counter and stove now he is avoiding it for now

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
We just let the cats go wherever they choose… sometimes it’s just easier to pick your battles, just like kids. We use natural cleaners that are safe for pets and just make sure to clean the counters often. I find our boys love sleeping on the counter above the dishwasher, after it’s run!! I used to find them both sprawled out there!

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are two absolute no-cats places in this house: the stove, and my IT system. My roomies keep their door closed, at my request, so they don't go in there. I don't want anyone getting stuck in their closet or under their bed. Otherwise, it's pretty much open land. They don't get on counters at all, that I know of. Elvis had a period of cupboard-cruising, but it seems to have been temporary. I never discouraged him -- he just got tired of it, I guess. Baby Su basically spends most of her time in the master bedroom so she's good wherever she is in there.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how do I keep him off the stove I find counters ok but hubby does not , He likes going to the kitchen window in front of sink

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do I keep him off the stove I find counters ok but hubby does not , He likes going to the kitchen window in front of sink
If you can put his cat tree by a window with the best view possible, and then distracting him from the kitchen window by consistently moving him from there to his tree, that is good. And consistently, every time you see him going to the stove, move him with a "No no!" and then transfer him to his tree.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens and current cat likes to go into the TV consol areas as well. So got these plastic little spike kinda stuff. This don't hurt them but rather discourage them. It's not easy to maneuver.

Attachments

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can put his cat tree by a window with the best view possible, and then distracting him from the kitchen window by consistently moving him from there to his tree, that is good. And consistently, every time you see him going to the stove, move him with a "No no!" and then transfer him to his tree.
yes cat tree is by our front room window , we are doing our best , he will finally get it we put pepper on the stove and he is staying off for now

Last edited:

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi every one I have a new 4 month old kitten . Last night he kept me up til 4 am jumping on stove and counter several times I kept taking him off and saying no and or spraying with water ,What else could I try , he has plenty of toys and boxes
Have you tried feliway plug in diffusers?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no I will look into this where do I plug it in
The diffusers are just to plug into any electrical outlet. I use the spray rather than the diffusers.
Well, I would not suggest any citrus (or other) room sprays or diffusers because they can make cats ill. Yes, you might try just wiping the counters/stove with a suds from lemon diswashing liquid (and water, of course).