New kitten won't let me touch him

emxxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday I brought home a 12 week old kitten from a breeder, a ragdoll to be precise.

It took him about 5 hours to dare to leave his cage, but he kept crying for hours after that.

The breeder suggested that I keep him in my own bedroom while I sleep so that he gets used to me. Other than that, I'm only ever at my PC in my bedroom. I put his cage, food and water, some toys and a litterbox in my bedroom. He is brave enough to roam around it and he doesn't hiss nor bite me, but he gets scared as soon as I reach my hand out to touch him. I have tried talking to him for long periods of time, giving him food from my hand, only trying to touch him when he actually comes close to me out of his own will, etc. He just seems terrified of me.

Is this something that will pass as the days/weeks go by or do I need to do something different? He was not scared of being touched by his breeder when I picked him up (although grumpy from being woken up).

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has to get used to his new home the breeder was right let him in your room while your sleeping. It will definitely pass hopefully in a few days try sitting on the floor and talking quietly to him let him come to you. Every time I've had a new kitten it's taken a few days for the crying to stop but it does he just misses his mum and litter mates. And finally congratulations on your fur baby :thumbsup:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You seem to do it right. it will be better with time, and he will warm up to you. Of course. And his love to you will be strong when you earn it. Although he will probably always be shy to visitors.

Some kittens and cats ARE a little shy the first hours or even the first days. Its not unheard off they can hide even two full days before coming out to eat and use the litter...

My guess is, he wasnt enough socialized. Perhaps lived mostly in cage with momma and siblings, with very little contact with humans... Its quite common with big breeders, and I think the reason why some BYB sell their kittens at 6 weeks is exactly this. As they dont have the patience to socialize the kittens, they sell them at 6 weeks when they are still easy to socialize in the new family of the buyer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emxxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your advice!
He decided to sleep at my feet last night, but I saw that he had returned to the back of his cage once when I woke up.

So it is not strange for him to avoid being touched in the beginning, then? He can come as close as sitting right next to me, it is only when I reach out that he runs away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emxxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This could absolutely be true.

Another concern of mine is that he doesn't seem to have eaten any of the food or drank anything that I have provided. I have given him harder kitty food, wet food, small pieces of cheese, water, and cat milk. All of these were recommended by the breeder, but nothing seems to have been touched. Is this normal during the first days?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, as mentioned, its quite normal. Its worrying with young kittens, but normal.
This fact he dares to sleep at your feet, and sitting near as long as you dont touch him, is very promising!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not strange in the beginning for kittens to back away until they get used to you, As far as eating I haven't had kitten's not eat anything but he could be nibbling while your asleep or distracted. If you are worried you could try a different kitten food, check his weight if he's gaining and not losing he probably is eating in private just tiny amounts. The litter should be being used aswell.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you sit on the floor and talk to him, don't make eye contact. Also, maybe, toss him a treat or two? Have anty cat toys? A wand & feather? Pingb pong balls? Try a little play. Even just a length of heavy string, drag it by him...

Good luck, and keep us updated!